New Australian DVD and BD Releases

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: New Australian DVD and BD Releases

#1301 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 am

Wouldn’t even the film’s most ardent defenders agree that there’s nothing “erotic” or “sensual” about Showgirls?

Matt

#1302 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Cristal: I don't know how good it is darlin', and I don't know what it is it’s good for, but if it's Showgirls, it's not “sensual” or “erotic,” I know that much.

Nomi: You don't know SHIT! (scarfs french fries, throws up, thrashes wildly)

L.A.

#1303 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm

The Overlanders (Harry Watt, 1946) coming in the Sunburnt Screens series next month.

Extras:

• Audio commentary with Screenwriter and Film Historian Stephen Vagg
• The Cattle Story (1955) – documentary featurette
• Original theatrical trailer
• Still gallery
• Kangaroo (1952) – bonus featurette & audio commentary by Screenwriter and Film Historian Stephen Vagg

This is stacked compared to the UK Blu-ray from Network which only has an image gallery.

L.A.

#1304 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 am

Umbrella Entertainment wrote:We have a new collection to add to the table 'World Cinema' with the first release IDA coming out in October.

World Cinema will bring some of the best international cinema to your screens on Blu-ray with exclusive special features, O-ring packaging and artwork. Our volume #1 follows the story of a novice nun, who is about to take her vows when she uncovers a family secret dating back to the German occupation.

See more here: https://bit.ly/2Wtmr7y

IDA was the recipient of the 2015 Oscar® for Best Foreign Language Film.

FrauBlucher

#1305 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm
Adam X wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Also coming in April is Umbrella's next Beyond Genres title, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.
What's the quality of the UK Blu-ray, and do we have reason to expect the Umbrella to be an improvement?
bluray.com... I would wait for the rumored Criterion

L.A.

#1306 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:58 am

For the first time, Black and White comes to life on Blu-ray as part of our Sunburnt Screens collection. This release showcases an exclusive restoration and extensive special features, such as a seminar about the the Max Stuart case featuring Geoffrey Robertson QC and former High Court Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG.

Pre-order: https://bit.ly/3C4Hflw

Based on a harrowing true story from 1958, Indigenous man Max Stuart (David Ngoombujarra) is tried for the murder of a young white girl in rural South Australia. Stuart is sentenced to be executed despite a distinct lack of evidence except for a confession he signed although not being able to read English.

Special features:
Politics, power and justice and the media: Controversies from the Stuart Case – a seminar featuring Geoffrey Robertson QC and former High Court Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG
Original electronic press kit with case and crew interviews
7:30 Report (ABC) segment on the Max Stuart case
Deleted scenes
Interview with Max Stuart
Theatrical trailer

jazzo

#1307 Post by jazzo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am

If you think it’s worth navigating their endlessly frustrating international checkout process, JB-HiFi is having a 30% off sale on all in-stock discs.

Aunt Peg

#1309 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:37 am

Warwick Thornton's The New Boy (2023) which was shown at Cannes to middling reviews is coming to Blu Ray on September 13: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/new- ... tID=656194

I would be surprised if it got a Blu Ray release outside of Australia.

GaryC

#1310 Post by GaryC » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:37 am
Warwick Thornton's The New Boy (2023) which was shown at Cannes to middling reviews is coming to Blu Ray on September 13: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/new- ... tID=656194

It's playing in the London Film Festival next month but according to the programme it doesn't have a UK distributor yet.

Elizabeth Corday

#1311 Post by Elizabeth Corday » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:33 pm

I'm curious does anyone know if A Tale of Two Sisters blu ray by Umbrella is region free?

TechnicolorAcid

#1312 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:46 pm

Elizabeth Corday wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:33 pm
I'm curious does anyone know if A Tale of Two Sisters blu ray by Umbrella is region free?
Like most of Umbrella’s releases, it is region free.

GaryC

#1313 Post by GaryC » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:32 am

GaryC wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:06 pm
Aunt Peg wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:37 am

It's playing in the London Film Festival next month but according to the programme it doesn't have a UK distributor yet.
Signature will be releasing this in the UK, so a Blu-ray is possible.

furbicide

#1314 Post by furbicide » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:37 am

Not sure this is the right thread, but I just saw that Sara Kern’s brilliant Slovenian-Australian co-production Moja Vesna, which screened at Berlin Film Festival last year, is finally getting a DVD release – but it’s over in the US, on a small label I haven’t heard of before called Indiepix (which seems to be distributed via MVD Entertainment Group), and due out March next year, over two years after its film festival premiere and fifteen months after its domestic theatrical run (as far as I’m aware, it didn’t get any kind of US theatrical release at all, so I’m not sure what the context for this DVD is): https://mvdshop.com/products/moja-vesna-dvd

I emailed the Australian theatrical distributor and heard back today that the film isn’t going to get an Australian release on disc (this makes it the second case I’m aware of of a critically acclaimed Aus film only getting a physical release in America after James Vaughan’s Friends and Strangers, which was brought out by Grasshopper after premiering in competition at IFF Rotterdam in 2021).

All this unfortunately lends weight to the impression that the DVD market here is slowly getting phased out, and that R4 distributors are increasingly less inclined to release smaller arthouse titles. I went to one of the bigger JB Hi-Fi stores a week or two ago and they’d slashed their DVD/Blu-Ray section in half.

furbicide

#1315 Post by furbicide » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:52 pm

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this new Lee Chang-dong set from Umbrella (due out in Feb) – it’s been so long since a box set this ambitious or interesting has come out in Australia:

https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/product ... -2002-2010

furbicide

#1316 Post by furbicide » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:20 pm

Latest batch of Umbrella releases announced for May:

Primer
Upstream Color
Trash Humpers
You’ll Never Find Me

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1317 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 pm

Intrigued by the commentaries for the Carruth films (def against the director’s wishes, but who cares about placating him after the public meltdown, I guess), but $55 USD each? Fuck that noise

TechnicolorAcid

#1318 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 pm
Intrigued by the commentaries for the Carruth films (def against the director’s wishes, but who cares about placating him after the public meltdown, I guess), but $55 USD each? Fuck that noise
There’s cheaper ones for $31 on their site, not including shipping (though I’d wait for OrbitDVD or some similar online US retailer to get first).
https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/produc ... 1515030786
https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/produc ... f741&_ss=r

therewillbeblus

#1319 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 pm

Yeah Orbit often gets Umbrella products in for preorder, for a lot cheaper (like half price? At least it was for Kids) than usually-cheaper UK retailer sites like Rarewaves. For whatever reason, it seems like Australia is giving some U.S. companies better prices, which I won't complain about

Aunt Peg

#1320 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:22 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 pm
Yeah Orbit often gets Umbrella products in for preorder, for a lot cheaper (like half price? At least it was for Kids) than usually-cheaper UK retailer sites like Rarewaves. For whatever reason, it seems like Australia is giving some U.S. companies better prices, which I won't complain about
That the Australian dollar is in the toilet against the US dollar is probably helping too.