Polish Cinema on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

Re: Polish Cinema on DVD

#576 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Stefan!

Thank you so much for the information provided! And it makes a lot of sense what you say about directors/producers/distributors shortening their movies after the premiere. In this case, the DVD doesn't include overture, intermission nor entr'acte (I don't even know if they were there in the first place in the film's original release...).

However, the link to that wonderful article indicates that there are 3 official running times: a one-part long version running 190 minutes; a two-part "long" version running 174 minutes; and the short/international version running 144 minutes (clearly, the one featured on the polish DVD). This alone uncovers the "mistery". Nevertheless, there is an erraneous information on both the boxset backcover and the inside booklet that might lead viewers to confusion that must be addressed in some way, so that people buying it won't be disappointed like I was.

Oh, and don't worry about the portuguese text: it's my native language, actually.

Stefan Andersson

#577 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:17 am

Hi Lino!

Found some more info about Faraon here:
https://wondersinthedark.wordpress.com/ ... alerowicz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down for comments about the early 1990s VHS edition of Faraon from Polart Video, a US company specializing in Polish films. The running time of the VHS has been listed as longer than the DVD, but I can´t find any verification for it online. Seems difficult to find out.

Googling for "Faraon VHS" I find the Polart VHS and a German VHS, both listed at 180 mins. But who knows if it is really 180 minutes?

Perhaps you can find out more by writing to Polart: http://www.polartvideo.com/contact_us.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps you also want to e-mail DMMS, the Polish distributor for restored Polish classics on Bluray (the KinoRP project): http://dmms.pl/kontakt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here works one Maciej Molewski, who apparently is willing to answer e-mails in English. Maybe he knows more about Faraon.

For a lively discussion of Polish classics on DVD (including quotes from Mr. Molewski´s e-mail answers), go here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=139470&page=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps you would like to join the discussion.

E-mail to KinoRP: biuro@kinorp.pl

jsteffe

#578 Post by jsteffe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:34 pm

We have the Polart VHS of Faraon in our university library, and it is the 170 minute version. I verified this a while back, though I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and compare the two editions on a scene-by-scene basis.

GaryC

#579 Post by GaryC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 pm

The 13th Kinoteka Film Festival runs in London from 8 April to 29 May. The New Polish Cinema strand includes Foreign Body (Obce cialo), Citizen (Obywatel), The Mighty Angel (Pod mocnym aniolem) and Hardkor Disko.

In addition, in April the BFI Southbank is hosting a season billed as Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema, all of them showing as DCPs from recent 2K restorations. Programme herewith:

8 April, 18:00 NFT1 Camouflage (Barwy ochronne) + Krzysztof Zanussi Q & A
9 April, 18:15 NFT3 Illumination (Iluminacja) + Krzysztof Zanussi intro
20:30 NFT3 The Constant Factor (Constans) + Krzysztof Zanussi intro
12 April, 18:20 NFT3 The Constant Factor (Constans)
20:30 NFT3 Illumination (Iluminacja)
13 April, 20:30 NFT3 Eroica
14 April, 18:00 NFT2 Blind Chance (Przypadek)
18:15 NFT3 Discovering the Masterpieces of Polish Cinema with Kuba Mikurda (talk)
20:30 NFT3 Camouflage (Barwy ochronne)
15 April, 18:10 NFT3 Cinematography with Sławomir Idziak (talk)
20:30 NFT3 A Short Film About Killing (Krótki film o zabijaniu) + Krzysztof Piesiewicz Q & A
16 April, 20:00 NFT3 Knights of the Black Cross (Krzyżacy) + intro by Kuba Mikurda
18 April, 18:10 NFT1 Blind Chance (Przypadek)
20:50 NFT1 A Short Film About Killing (Krótki film o zabijaniu)
20 April, 19:40 NFT1 The Saragossa Manuscript (Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie)
21 April, 20:30 NFT1 The Hourglass Sanatorium (Sanatorium pod klepsydrą)
22 April, 18:10 NFT3 Ewa Mazierska on the Polish Cinematic Canon (talk)
23 April, 20:30 NFT3 Eroica + intro by Dr César Ballester
24 April, 18:30 NFT1 A Short Film About Killing (Krótki film o zabijaniu)
25 April, 18:20 NFT2 Jump (Salto)
19:30 NFT1 The Saragossa Manuscript (Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie)
26 April, 15:15 NFT2 To Kill This Love (Trzeba zabić tę milość
16:40 NFT1 Knights of the Black Cross (Krzyżacy)
20:50 NFT2 The Last Day of Summer (Ostatni dzień lata)
28 April, 18:20 NFT2 The Last Day of Summer (Ostatni dzień lata)
20:50 NFT3 Jump (Salto)
29 April, 20:45 NFT2 To Kill This Love (Trzeba zabić tę milość
30 April, 20:30 NFT1 The Hourglass Sanatorium (Sanatorium pod klepsydrą) + intro by Michael Goddard

In addition a display: Andrzej Wajda's Films in World Film Posters.

perkypat

#580 Post by perkypat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:31 am

Anyone know if the Masterpieces season is going to be touring the UK? Would be great to see some of this stuff.

MichaelB

#581 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 am

perkypat wrote:Anyone know if the Masterpieces season is going to be touring the UK? Would be great to see some of this stuff.
It's certainly playing at the Edinburgh Filmhouse because they've just asked for permission to reproduce my BFI Southbank notes.

And it's actually a two-part season, with May's instalment just as extensive as April's - in fact, I think we're talking the same number of films each month.

MichaelB

#582 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 am

The full BFI season - including its second half - has just been unveiled.

djvaso

#583 Post by djvaso » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:04 am

Potop Redivivus [Blu-ray] will be released on April 14.
http://bluedvd.pl/en/potop-redivivus-blu-ray.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A special edition with 300-page photo book is not listed currently.

EddieLarkin

#584 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Are the KinoRP Blu-rays from DMMS out of print? Man of Iron is still easy to come by, but Merlin, Empik and Bluedvd no longer offer the other 4. Punkt44 has them all but only at full retail price.

alfons416

#585 Post by alfons416 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:07 am

Maybe it's allready been discussed here, but it looks like PWA/NINA is back with it's "Polska Szkoła Dokumentu"-series.

Andrew Titkow & Marcin Koszałka are new releases for me (even though one of them looks like it's been out for a while).

Used to buy me releases from traffic-club.pl, but that site looks to be gone? and non of the other sites i used to buy from seems to have thees two. Where do you buy your polish cinema nowadays?

MichaelB

#586 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:18 am

alfons416 wrote:Maybe it's allready been discussed here, but it looks like PWA/NINA is back with it's "Polska Szkoła Dokumentu"-series.

Andrew Titkow & Marcin Koszałka are new releases for me (even though one of them looks like it's been out for a while).
I flagged up the Koszałka release on the dedicated PWA/NiNA thread almost exactly a year ago, and trailed the Titkow last autumn when I heard about it from a NiNA employee.

I probably should have cross-posted here too, but I've had snide comments from people in the past when I've done that in similar circumstances. (Not sure why: some subjects are clearly on-topic for more than one thread.)

EddieLarkin

#587 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:41 am

Punkt44 has 12 of the 15 sets, and all but one of those 12 are still very reasonably priced, and they include both of the new sets.

Lazertron

#588 Post by Lazertron » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Titkow set, which I immediately acquired. I'm now only missing the Marcel Lozinski set, which seems to be out of stock everywhere I looked.

EddieLarkin

#589 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes, it's the only one I cannot find either. If you (or anyone else reading) happen to find it anywhere in stock, please let us know!

twicebilled

#590 Post by twicebilled » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Yes, it's the only one I cannot find either. If you (or anyone else reading) happen to find it anywhere in stock, please let us know!
I've ordered the polish film school DVDs from this site before. Both times I've emailed them to confirm they had the DVD and they were quick to respond since the webpage doesn't actually let you order.

EddieLarkin

#591 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks, I will email them but fear they won't ship outside of America.

Ged Parsons

#592 Post by Ged Parsons » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:16 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Yes, it's the only one I cannot find either. If you (or anyone else reading) happen to find it anywhere in stock, please let us know!
I don't know where you're based, EddieLarkin, but the bricks-and-mortar British Film Institute shop, on the South Bank in London, usually has quite a few of the Polish School of Documentary sets available on their shelves.

They don't seem to have any of them in their online shop, but if you contact the BFI directly, I'm sure they'll tell you which ones they have in their real shop!

http://www.bfi.org.uk/about-bfi/help-faq

Good luck!

EddieLarkin

#593 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks, but unfortunately I live too far away from London for their shop to be of any use to me. Luckily the PFFAmerica mentioned above do have copies in stock and do ship to the UK. They've advised they'll come back to me with shipping costs soon.

Lazertron

#594 Post by Lazertron » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 am

EddieLarkin wrote:Thanks, but unfortunately I live too far away from London for their shop to be of any use to me. Luckily the PFFAmerica mentioned above do have copies in stock and do ship to the UK. They've advised they'll come back to me with shipping costs soon.
As I'm located in Austria, may you be able to order a second copy and forward it to me then? Of course, I'm covering all expenses.

EddieLarkin

#595 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:24 am

They've since told me that they can arrange for their Poland office to ship discs for European orders, so I imagine that works out quite well for yourself. Drop them an email at pffamerica@pffamerica.com and I'm sure they'll be able to arrange something; they've been very accommodating so far.

Lazertron

#596 Post by Lazertron » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:54 am

Thanks. Sent an email to them.

alfons416

#597 Post by alfons416 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:13 am

EddieLarkin wrote:Punkt44 has 12 of the 15 sets, and all but one of those 12 are still very reasonably priced, and they include both of the new sets.
Thanks, for the tip, ordered both so now my collection will soon be complete again. I'd actually ordered from this site before so maybee i should have remembered it :P

Perkins Cobb

#598 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:17 pm

While we're on the subject, I've been trying to round up the Telewizja Kino Polska box sets, some of which have become equally elusive. The three I can't lay my hands on are Grzegorz Królikiewicz, Aleksander Ford, and Agnieszka Holland. It looks like this PFFAmerica site may have the Holland (thanks!), but does anyone know where the other two could be found?

Lazertron

#599 Post by Lazertron » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:While we're on the subject, I've been trying to round up the Telewizja Kino Polska box sets, some of which have become equally elusive. The three I can't lay my hands on are Grzegorz Królikiewicz, Aleksander Ford, and Agnieszka Holland. It looks like this PFFAmerica site may have the Holland (thanks!), but does anyone know where the other two could be found?
Did you already receive an answer from PFFAmerica yet? I mailed them some days ago but haven't heard anything back yet.

Telstar

#600 Post by Telstar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:While we're on the subject, I've been trying to round up the Telewizja Kino Polska box sets, some of which have become equally elusive. The three I can't lay my hands on are Grzegorz Królikiewicz, Aleksander Ford, and Agnieszka Holland. It looks like this PFFAmerica site may have the Holland (thanks!), but does anyone know where the other two could be found?
I've also been looking for the Królikiewicz set for some time with no luck. Haven't even seen a copy show up on ebay for ages.