The David Lean Collection (R2)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
John Hodson

#26 Post by John Hodson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Jonathan S wrote:Will HMV replace individual discs? I bought the previous Lean Collection from them and had to keep sending the whole set back because each time one or two discs were badly scratched. I eventually gave up trying to get a pristine set as there was obviously something wrong at the manufacturing (or packaging) end - none were floaters in my case.
I was a little surprised they didn't ask for the whole set, but the affected disc would do. I do, however, fear the worst...
Jonathan S wrote:Glad to hear about the big improvement on The Passionate Friends. For sheer technical skill, I think it's one of his most dazzling films, though I always find Ann Todd a chilly performer (perhaps appropriately so in Madeleine) and I always sympathise more with the Claude Rains character than the passionate friends!
That's the thing about 'The Passionate Friends' though isn't it? It turns the conventional eternal triangle tale inside out, so over the course of the picture, Claude Rains (back-combed hair and all) becomes something of a hero. It's a love story (eventually) but not as we know it; 'Brief Encounter' but far more emotionally complex.

broadwayrock

#27 Post by broadwayrock » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

Ive just finished watching the Centenary collection boxset. Transfers are good with the exception of This Happy Breed:

John Hodson

#28 Post by John Hodson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Well, all I can say is that is not my experience with THB. :) I did note some slight lip-sych probems, which I thought might have been player related, but now I'm not sure.

Your first screencap shows slight misregistration, which I saw during that opening sequence but as it lasted only a few seconds, I didn't think it was a serious problem. The second two show combing? It may be an issue for some, but not here.

One man's 'excellent' is another man's 'good' - as ever, your mileage may vary...

tryavna

#29 Post by tryavna » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:54 pm

John Hodson wrote:
Jonathan S wrote:Glad to hear about the big improvement on The Passionate Friends. For sheer technical skill, I think it's one of his most dazzling films, though I always find Ann Todd a chilly performer (perhaps appropriately so in Madeleine) and I always sympathise more with the Claude Rains character than the passionate friends!
That's the thing about 'The Passionate Friends' though isn't it? It turns the conventional eternal triangle tale inside out, so over the course of the picture, Claude Rains (back-combed hair and all) becomes something of a hero. It's a love story (eventually) but not as we know it; 'Brief Encounter' but far more emotionally complex.
In a weird sort of way, I agree with both of you. There is something distinctly Renoir-esque in the way Lean treats all three members of the triangle with great dignity -- though of course Lean's film is much more "serious-minded" (for lack of a better word) than Renoir would ever be about romantic triangles. The problem, however, really is Ann Todd, who can't hold her own against a performer of Rains' skill. We're obviously meant to feel sympathetic to all three characters, but I can't muster much sympathy for Todd. (She does much better in Madeleine, where as Jonathan points out her coldness/stiffness is put to much better use.)

At the same time, Passionate Friends had the same first impression on me that Ryan's Daughter did: much ado about nothing and sytle over substance. I've since changed my mind about the latter film, so I'm looking forward to rewatching the former when I buy this new set.

manicsounds

Re: The David Lean Collection (R2)

#30 Post by manicsounds » Tue May 31, 2011 8:28 am

I watched "The Passionate Friends" for the first time today (extremely underrated, was surprised that I might say in some parts, better than "Brief Encounter"), but I'm not sure how or where I knew about the ending. While watching the last 5 minutes, I kept thinking to myself, "I know this ending... how have I already seen it?" I dunno, maybe some Lean documentary, but I can't really be clear on that. I don't recall watching any.

Still surprised that even with the BD of Brief Encounter, no one has really done an all-out special edition of that particular title.

The 10 disc UK set is very good in technical quality for it's cheap price (now), but I would've expected a lot more in the extras department considering the importance of Lean.

windowside

#31 Post by windowside » Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 am

At it's current price it's hard to complain but i wouldn't call the set 'very good in technical quality'. Some of these transfers are pretty weak, which bothers me more than the lack of extras.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#32 Post by Drucker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I know this isn't related to the exact post here, but the Rumors section lists a David Lean box. Any idea if that's still in the works? Or if it'll be in Blu?

manicsounds

#33 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:47 pm

You mean for Criterion, right? It may be entirely possible. The MGM DVD boxset never panned out, the 2 early Criterions can use the upgrade, and quite a few more in the Region 2 boxset have no US equivalents. But it may be a while until ALL those titles will be on the Criterion label. They might even do the Chaplin way, one at a time every 6 months or so.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#34 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah. Criterion has Brief Encounter and Oliver Twist and expectations...I wouldn't expect they're going to get Bridge or Lawrence...but I'm sure there's plenty of lesser-well known stuff. The "rumors" page lists it as a possibility...so I was just wondering if that page is or has been updated in a while.