Masumura Yasuzo on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Murasaki53

Masumura Yasuzo on DVD

#1 Post by Murasaki53 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:51 am

Has anyone seen the R3 DVD of Yasuzo Masumura's A Lustful Man?

And does the Hong Kong edition come with decent English subtitles ( not back-translated from Chinese to English as is sometimes the case with HK DVDs)?

Steven H

Yasuzo Masumura / A Lustful Man

#2 Post by Steven H » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:17 am

Yesasia shipped this out to me last week, so I'll be able to report on the subs/quality, hopefully, very soon.

Murasaki53

#3 Post by Murasaki53 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:00 am

Please do. I'd also be interested in hearing your view of 'Afraid To Die' if you've seen it.

It's the only commercially available Masumura DVD I haven't seen apart from this new one.
Last edited by Murasaki53 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octave

Manji (Yasuzo Masumura, 1964)

#4 Post by Octave » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:55 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I was wondering has anyone seen this flick? I was impressed when i saw it as it was ahead of its time due to the subject.

Steven H

#5 Post by Steven H » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:58 am

Well, the subtitles are more than adequate (I didn't notice any spelling errors, and they seemed complete), but the transfer is a mess. I'd suspect analog video (it stinks of ancient VHS). The film itself looks ridiculous, but I'll have to really sit down and watch it sometime (definitely an oddity compared to what's already available from Masumura.)

Murasaki53

#6 Post by Murasaki53 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a miss and go for 'Afraid To Die' instead.

Steven H

#7 Post by Steven H » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:14 pm

Afraid To Die is interesting enough because Mishima Yukio is in it (learn a bit about him before watching to enhance the bizarreness.)

Scharphedin2

#8 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Steven H wrote:Well, the subtitles are more than adequate (I didn't notice any spelling errors, and they seemed complete), but the transfer is a mess. I'd suspect analog video (it stinks of ancient VHS). The film itself looks ridiculous, but I'll have to really sit down and watch it sometime (definitely an oddity compared to what's already available from Masumura.)
Steven -- I am not too fluent in technical terms -- strictly based on the quality of the presentation, would this mean that you judge this disc to be vastly inferior to the DVDs of Masumura's films that are out from Fantoma? (I have been quite pleased with these).

As to Afraid To Die, I think this was one of the less interesting Masumura films that Fantoma released. It is bizarre and interesting for featuring Mishima, but other than that, did you think it that special of a film? Manji seemed a much more unique film, and Red Angel (which I have not yet had an opportunity to see) sounds like the best of the batch. I have also read positive things about Giants and Toys, another Fantoma title that I have not yet picked up. Do you have any comments on it?

Steven H

#9 Post by Steven H » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:17 pm

I wasn't that impressed with Afraid to Die, but it is interesting enough for Mishima's performance and presence. Giants and Toys and Red Angel are sure bets (and my favorite of his films that I've seen with subtitles, A False Student, is available in a watchable transfer from superhappyfun.) Manji and Blind Beast are second tier, but definitely worth going after (I haven't seen the latter in a while, so it may end up getting better with time.) There are a lot of people who love Blind Beast, so don't let me dissuade you from that one, or anything.

I can't wait to sit down and give A Lustful Man a go (here's a snapshot).

ugh, and it looks worse in motion. at least it's OAR with removable subs.

J_P_P

#10 Post by J_P_P » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:06 pm

The transfer of Lust. Man is 2:35 ...but the image is not that good and is NOT anamorphic :x

Murasaki53

#11 Post by Murasaki53 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:37 pm

I think this is one of the great unsung literary adaptations : overheated, intense and yet wonderfully compelling. The acting and directing are top notch. Although Kyoko Kishida steals the show it also helps that Ayako Wakao really does come across as the kind of femme fatale you would ruin yourself for.

I also enjoyed the Tanizaki novel (which I read before seeing the film). His other novels are well worth seeking out.

Murasaki53

#12 Post by Murasaki53 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:50 pm

I'd also recommend Red Angel. And I thought Manji was outstanding. Having said this, both these films have grown on me as a result of subsequent viewings. I didn't really 'get' them first time around. I also enjoyed Blind Beast too.

Giants and Toys is relatively brisk and enjoyable though I'm not as big a fan of this movie as some people. But it's definitely worth seeing.

Steven - thanks for the tip about A False Student. I'll definitely be getting hold of this one.

Further comments on A Lustful Man would also be appreciated. I can make allowances for the poor visual quality provided that there's a good story to be enjoyed. Do please let us know what you think.

Octave

#13 Post by Octave » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:15 am

I believe the English translation is call 'Quicksand'? I've seen it but have not read it. I will see if i can acquire the book. Also which version did you watch? Mine was fantoma.

Murasaki53

#14 Post by Murasaki53 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:54 am

The novel is called 'Quicksand'. And the DVD I saw was by Fantoma.

I really do recommend Tanizaki's writing. 'Naomi' and 'Diary of a Mad Old Man' are also good.

royalton

Re: Masumura Yasuzo on DVD

#15 Post by royalton » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:34 am

I'm not sure where else to put this - this seemed like the best spot, albeit some three years later. Masumura's Two Wives is playing at the Japan Society in NYC tonight, and this will be my first exposure to the man. Looking fwd to it.