Nicheflix

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
therainsong

Nicheflix

#1 Post by therainsong » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:49 pm

I have two questions about Nicheflix. Does anybody here recommend it? And, if so, how long does shipping take, on average?

Thanks.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#2 Post by Godot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:20 pm

I have two questions about Nicheflix. Does anybody here recommend it? And, if so, how long does shipping take, on average?
1. Yes, highly.
2. Depends on your location. The only shipping site is in BF, Indiana. I have been monitoring my rental activity, and have averaged 3.4 days shipping (from IN to CA) and 3.8 days shipping (from CA to IN). But I've rented 43 discs, over 143 days duration of membership, for an average of $2.32 per rental (give or take). That's damn fine.

therainsong

#3 Post by therainsong » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. Based on your post and a little research, I'm going to give it a try.

porquenegar

#4 Post by porquenegar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:49 pm

therainsong wrote:I have two questions about Nicheflix. Does anybody here recommend it? And, if so, how long does shipping take, on average?

Thanks.
I did the 2 week free trial and decided not to keep it. It was a while ago but they didn't seem to have the DVDs I wanted in stock, only sent 2 at a time and the shipping was slow. That was over a year ago, so they may have improved.

exte

#5 Post by exte » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:58 pm

They don't have a great selection. Not to sound ridiculous, but if you're going to pride yourself on offering multi-region dvd titles, then why not at least match the titles mentioned at dvdbeaver?

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#6 Post by Godot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:17 pm

They don't have a great selection.
This is very subjective. For me, it was an opportunity to rent these that Netflix does not offer:

Tales of Hoffman
Straw Dogs
(Criterion)
Le Samourai
Forty Guns
The Driver
Draughtsman's Contract
(BFI)
Boudu Saved From Drowning
Partie de Campagne
A Matter of Life and Death
Videodrome
(Criterion)
Le Doulos
and
the German editions of British Hitchcock films
the Hong Kong editions of the Ozu films

An awesome selection, in my opinion. To each his own, of course, and it's wonderful to have so many options in the marketplace. Every month I think I'll soon be running out of movies to rent from Nicheflix, and they drop in new arrivals that move immediately to the top of my queue (such as Un Coeur en Hiver, Lifeboat, Samurai Assassin).

therainsong

#7 Post by therainsong » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:53 pm

I went through their selection and immediately found about 30 or so films that I badly want to see and they have. Here they are (I hope this doesn't qualify as a list, but proof they have a good selection):

The End Of Summer
The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice
Late Autumn
Un Chant d'Amour
Life of Oharu
Lady from Mushashino
Werckmeister Harmonies
Damnation
House of Flying Daggers
Salo
Battle Royale
Oldboy
Europa
The Cloud Clapped Star
An Actor’s Revenge
Napoleon
Woman in the Dunes
Boudu Saved From Drowning
Le Samourai
Dr. Mabuse The Gambler
Ju Dou
Raise the Red Lantern
Tales of Hoffman
Eraserhead
Pandora’s Box
El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Santa Sangre
Uzak
Eureka
The Spirit of the Beehive
A Time to Live, A Time to Die

Thanks for the help again.

exte

#8 Post by exte » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:15 am

Off the top of my head, some of the titles they lack, which happen to be Region 2, are...

R2 Last Emperor
R2 AK documentary by Chris Marker on Akira Kurosawa
R2 Dogville with full documentary
R2 Chungking Express
R2 1900

They are also low on copies of titles like Burden Of Dreams. And now that they no longer carry the free trial, it's not worth it for me, at least not for now.

Martha

#9 Post by Martha » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:08 am

For R1 films that Netflix doesn't carry, you might check out greencine.com. I switched my membership over to them (from Netflix) a couple of years ago and love it. It's a bit more expensive, but they donate a percentage of profits to charitable groups and have a very strong community feel. All indications are that it's a very cool company. With a better selection than Netflix.

Tommy Sleeb

#10 Post by Tommy Sleeb » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:27 pm

I was also really happy with nicheflix but eventually had to cancel for budgetary reasons more than anything (couldn't continue to justify it and netflix - not to mention not having enough time to watch all those movies). Given a change in circumstances I would do it again in heratbeat. They are EXTREMELY responsive to suggestions to titles (at least they were this past spring - they got the French Kafka disc a couple of weeks after I asked about it). They don't know about every single release worldwide, so they are eager to hear what people want.

Matt

#11 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:43 pm

Sadly, because of the weak dollar against the Euro/Pound, they've been buying more Asian films while their new European acquisitions have practically ground to a halt. Still no sign of those lovely Bresson discs that were released a couple months ago.

kevyip1

#12 Post by kevyip1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:35 am

matt wrote:Sadly, because of the weak dollar against the Euro/Pound, they've been buying more Asian films while their new European acquisitions have practically ground to a halt. Still no sign of those lovely Bresson discs that were released a couple months ago.
If you look at their forums, you'll see a lot more discussions on Asian films than other films. There are more requests for Asian films from members so naturally they are stocking more Asian titles. Not all their members are cineastes; some just like entertainment. And a lot of Asian horror, action, anime, martial arts films are very popular for that reason.

Those who were able to rent Un Coeur En Hiver recently, thank me. It was only recently in stock because I had put in a request for it. I was surprised no one had requested this until I did last December.

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:39 am

kevyip1 wrote:If you look at their forums, you'll see a lot more discussions on Asian films than other films.
But the most popular thread on the whole forum is titled "Less Asian - More Other Stuff." My queue is now down to 5 titles and, barring the arrival of the Bressons or something else that piques my interest, I'll be canceling my account within a number of weeks.

My delivery time has also slowed significantly. The last two titles took two weeks from shipment to receipt to arrive. I sent them back the day after I received them, but I won't get replacements until the beginning of February (at the earliest). That means I paid $20 to watch two movies, one of which I fast-forwarded through.

And I'm glad I ordered my own copy of Bad Education. I got mine almost a month ago; they still have not received theirs.

unclehulot

#14 Post by unclehulot » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:50 am

I had similarly long turnaround times back when I tried the service. I'm just not convinced that the USPS is responsible for all of this lethargy; I believe they are using that as an excuse to slow down processing returns and shipping out new items. That combined with the fact that the titles I joined the service to rent were NEVER available during the 2 months I tried meant I had to add titles I was less interested in to the queue just to keep up the snail's pace.

I'm sorry to rag on them, because they provide access to titles that nobody else bothers with, but one must be more patient and flexible than I am to get much out of Nicheflix. Perhaps if they offered an option on their site to indicate one has sent a title back (to initiate a new shipment a bit sooner), this might tempt me....Netflix used to offer this when they only had the one distribution center.

MK2 Bressons eh? That does sound good. I wonder how many months it would take me to successfully rent them from Nicheflix (and THAT cost), as opposed to just buying the darned things?

kevyip1

#15 Post by kevyip1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:40 pm

matt wrote:
kevyip1 wrote:If you look at their forums, you'll see a lot more discussions on Asian films than other films.
But the most popular thread on the whole forum is titled "Less Asian - More Other Stuff." My queue is now down to 5 titles and, barring the arrival of the Bressons or something else that piques my interest, I'll be canceling my account within a number of weeks.
I just wrote a thoroughly compelling and engaging post in that thread. Basically I said Nicheflix should do what Netflix did in its early days, by sacrificing a little "breadth" to gain more "depth".

denti alligator

#16 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:10 pm

I've had The Gospel of St Matthew at the top of my queue for two months now and it hasn't shipped. When it's "available" I have movies out. When my movies are returned it is never available. The key -- it seems -- is to leave only the movies you most want in the queue and wait. By adding stuff I "sort-of" wanted to see I only gave them something to mail out instead of the Gospel DVD. Now I have Gospel and Forty Guns in my queue. Once those ship I'll add two more and so forth. Never more movies in my queue than I can have out. I may have to wait a little, but at least I'll finally get what I want and they can't keep sending me only my 2nd choices.

yoshimori

#17 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:57 pm

You may have to wait a long long long long long time.

Very disappointing. I had ten movies in my queue [3 out at a time system] and after two weeks they had shipped only two and I had received only one. I asked them if this was normal and their so-called customer service rep e-babbled something about one (of the ten) movies in my queue being very popular. Well. Hmmmm. Maybe they need to have more copies of each movie. At this rate I'll've paid $8 per rental which might be ok if I lived in Iowa, but since there're at least a couple of places in LA that rent region-coded discs for the same price as their other discs, it's hardly worth it for me.

This happened to me last year when I first tried them. This time seems even worse.

kevyip1

#18 Post by kevyip1 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:23 pm

denti alligator wrote:When it's "available" I have movies out. When my movies are returned it is never available.
Sometimes, if you're lucky, they would ship you a title that is still showing as unavailable (meaning they don't even have time to update the status when the stock comes in). I was multi-orgasmic when I got Chimes at Midnight when it had been "unavailable" all the time.

All these hassles are deja vu to those who subscribed Netflix in its early days.

unclehulot

#19 Post by unclehulot » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:46 pm

yoshimori wrote: and their so-called customer service rep e-babbled something about one (of the ten) movies in my queue being very popular. Well. Hmmmm. Maybe they need to have more copies of each movie.

I remember my one email reply from customer service about the whole 90% "unavailable" rate in my queue, and this rep complained about those posting on their (and other) forum(s) about this issue. Perhaps their business model is take the customers cash to pay for nasty customer reps rather than more copies of their "popular" titles. Yeah Nicheflix, buy some more damned copies and stop complaining about your customers. I've got news for them... we're always right, and they don't have my money....unless I get REALLY desperate!

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 pm

I think they only have one copy of many titles.
They told me they only had one copy of Partie de campagne, and their one copy of Boudu saved from drowning is lost, so it's taking them months and months to buy a new one.

denti alligator

#21 Post by denti alligator » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Perhaps we can use this thread to rally around certain title requests. I just requested they buy Dreyer's President, the new Danish Film Institute DVD. Would others be willing to email them with this request too.

Donald Trampoline

#22 Post by Donald Trampoline » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:33 pm

I absolutely love Niche Flix and highly recommend it.
The shipping times above are pretty accurate, unfortunately, but perhaps they will be able to expand as interest increases.

I love it because I am a big renter, and I do not usually buy DVDs. (Except rare silent stuff or if something is going out of print, which sucks.) It's the best way to rent DVDs from other regions, bar none. Well, it's practically the only way. And renting is key to discovering new stuff that doesn't reach the purchasing threshold (unless you're one of those rich people with money to throw around).
denti alligator wrote:Perhaps we can use this thread to rally around certain title requests. I just requested they buy Dreyer's President, the new Danish Film Institute DVD. Would others be willing to email them with this request too.

As mentioned earlier in this discussion, they also have a forum. This forum has its own "Movie Requests" section. When you find something great on a foreign DVD, start a new topic for that title request, and people will pile on with seconding that request. (Don't be shy.)

(They have also responded to e-mails I sent for requests very nicely and added some of them (such as the Powell/Pressburger's "Small Back Room" and "Ill Met By Moonlight," although I'm sure there was a forum request too.) And of course they have added many, many DVDs in response to these forum requests. Heck, do both!

However, we are in desperate need of ASSISTANCE! There is a forum request for a Japanese DVD of Godard's "A Married Woman" with English subs (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COBM-5231), and we've got about 10 or 11 people seconding the request, but they say they need about 40. Here's that specific movie request link. Hopefully this link will work for you: http://www.nicheflix.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1200
(I suppose if it's the cost, I'm willing to wait for a cheaper version, but at least they will know the interest is high.)

Somebody mentioned that the Euro section was lacking, well, please, join in their forum and add discussion to their Euro forum, or request more specific European movies in the "Movie Requests" section of the forum.

It will only be able to grow like Netflix and get better delivery times and selection if people stick with it and its base grows. (Bravo for the Niche Flix links now on DVDBeaver's reviews!) It's because of economics that they can't carry certain versions. For instance, they buy two versions of Zatoichi or something (based on frenzied requesting, I'm sure), then 5 more DVD releases of it come out, and then DVDBeaver says the newest release is the best. Well, they've already bought 2 whole double-DVD versions, which could then stop being rented when they buy the new one, so you can see that since they are so small, it is a problem. But if they continue to grow, they could carry more editions like this and, more importantly, expand their catalog.

They are very open to requests, so everyone here who rents there already should join their forum and at the very least second all the European requests and participate in the requesting process. And don't get discouraged. Keep trying! It's the best hope for renting other-region DVDs on the Net! They are very well organized. It's just the economic realities that are limiting it now.

Note: All Niche Flix movie requests must go in the Movie Requests section, not the "Euro" discussion section.
http://www.nicheflix.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

P.S. - I seconded the "President" request just now!

Donald Trampoline

#23 Post by Donald Trampoline » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:59 pm

I think the link to the "Une femme mariée" DVD didn't work. Here it is again in case you need it:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COBM-5231

Hope it worked that time.

therainsong

#24 Post by therainsong » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Donald Trampoline wrote:However, we are in desperate need of ASSISTANCE! There is a forum request for a Japanese DVD of Godard's "A Married Woman" with English subs (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COBM-5231), and we've got about 10 or 11 people seconding the request, but they say they need about 40. Here's that specific movie request link. Hopefully this link will work for you: http://www.nicheflix.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1200
(I suppose if it's the cost, I'm willing to wait for a cheaper version, but at least they will know the interest is high.)
I am the one who requested this DVD. It would be great if others could help us and convince them to pick this up (and some other DVDs that myself and others requested).

denti alligator

#25 Post by denti alligator » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:51 pm

They need 40 because the title is so expensive? Or does this go for any request?