Best non-R1 DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Telstar

Re: Best non-R1 dvds

#76 Post by Telstar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:15 am

Numero Trois wrote:On Fnac the subtotal for the Monteiro set is reduced significantly on checkout. The subtotal it gave me was 114.88, with a grand total including shipping of 139.67 EU. Considering it's his entire ouevre it sounds like a deal to me. I've been looking for this one for quite some time.
I snagged this a few years back on ebay (won't boast about how little I paid), and it's possibly my favorite dvd set ever. Like having the man's entire life in a box.

Numero Trois

Re: Best non-R1 dvds

#77 Post by Numero Trois » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 am

Yeah, it does pop up on eBay once in a blue moon. One sold recently for a reasonable price. I'm holding off on it for now. Not quite ready to part with $180. While we're still on the subject of Fnac and expensive box sets, though, Jonathan Rosenbaum does have some things to say in the latest Cinema Scope. (Quoting one of his readers concerning the Oliveira box set):
Peter Hourigan wrote:“I bought this set at the end of 2008 from FNAC. One disc was faulty—A Caixa (1994) had no sound. This seems to have been a wider issue than just my set, because I was aware of at least two other sets with the same problem. It was difficult getting any response from FNAC Portugal. Ultimately, a response said I could return the complete set for a refund. This was far too valuable an asset to lose all the films because of one faulty disc. And there was no comment on whether they’d reimburse postage (two ways to/from Australia) in such a case. And…a friend who’d previously bought A Caixa in a separate release burnt me a copy of the integral title. Surely a case where burning is more than justified. A friend who happens to be the Portuguese Consul in Melbourne also made several attempts to contact FNAC on my behalf and using his “title” as a lever—ignored! This rather soured my relationship to the box, and it’s sat there unexplored since this event. I really must start looking through it.”
Yikes. Too bad Fnac seems to be the only game in town. Or close to it.