Upcoming R2 Japan

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
artfilmfan

#26 Post by artfilmfan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:40 pm

It would be nice to have the subtitles, but I'm fine without them. I've learned from some members of this forum to watch movies without subtitles :) And I don't care for the extras anyway. The important things are the quality of the film and the picture quality.

I can't find any useful information on Onna no sono and Ojosan Kanpai.

There's only a limited time to buy these DVDs at a reasonable price. If the films are good, I'll probably go ahead and buy them. Who knows if these films will ever be released on DVDs with subtitles?

Steven H

#27 Post by Steven H » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Two new Hara Kazuo DVDs with english subtitles are up on cdjapan. Hara's Emperor's Naked Army Marches On, which is already out in the US under the FACETS label (along with three of his other films), so I'd be interesting to see how this compares. The other isn't released anywhere else, and it's Hara's only fiction film to date, The Many Faces of Chika (co-written by Hara's wife?, Kobayashi Sachiko.)

Here's the what the Japan society has to say about The Many Faces of Chika:
During the 1960s and '70s--an age of rebellion and revolution in Japan--Chika flees from her ailing husband and infant son in search of independence, only to be met with betrayal, disappointment and loneliness. Four different actresses play Chika, as she wanders through the city, country and seaside with four different men.
Still no sign of his Mishima documentary, anywhere.

esl

#28 Post by esl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Hello all, first-time poster here although I had been lurking on the board for a couple of months. Today I received a box set of DVDs of Kinoshita films put out by Shochiku. There are six sets in all, with the films grouped approximately by year of release. I bought set number four.

Region: 2 - NTSC
Layers: single-sided/dual-layered
Black and White/Color
Aspect Ratios: 4:3/16:9(letterboxed)
Language: Japanese
Subtitles: None
Audio: Dolby Digital Monaural
Encoding: MPEG-2
Contents:

Yorokobi no kanashii no ikutoshitsuki (Years of Joy and Sorrow aka The Lighthouse, 1957)
Taiyo to bara (Rose on His Arm, 1956)
Huzen no tomoshibi (Hanging by a Thread aka Danger Stalks Near, 1957)
Kono Ten no Niji (The Eternal Rainbow, 1958)
Kaze-hana (Snow Flurry, 1959)
Sekishun-cho (Farewell to Spring, 1959)
Kyo mo mata Kakute Arinan (Thus Another Day, 1959)
Haru no Yume (Spring Dreams, 1960)

I think it is fair to assume the same packaging and presentation for the other box sets as this one. Two disks come in each plastic case and there is a ninth disk with additional features in its own case. All five cases are housed in a sturdy cloth covered box with a paper band containing info on that set. Inside each case is a card printed on both sides, with the disk chapters and some stills from those two movies. In addition there is a 28 page booklet with notes and additional movie and production stills for each movie.

The bonus disk contains:

i) a 58 minute interview with Mr. Kinoshita and three actors

ii) a panel discussion (including director Yoji Yamada) regarding Mr. Kinoshita's films taped during the 2005 Hong Kong International Film Festival as a part of "A Tribute to Kinoshita Keisuke"

iii) a very brief presentation of an award given (to whom?) at the 2005 Berlin Film Festival for Twenty-Four Eyes and lastly

iv) around 20 minutes worth of trailers for six of the films in this set. For some of the films there are two trailers.

I have not yet watched any of the movies. I plan to watch a few of them this week. I will report back later on the films and the quality of the prints, etc.

Why did I choose this set over any of the other five? I have both Twenty-four Eyes and Tragedy of Japan on DVD and saw Carmen Comes Home years ago. I wanted to see some more films of Kinoshita and did not think that these particular films would be likely candidates to be released anytime soon with English subtitles. I do not know where these films stand in terms of their reputation in Kinoshitaís overall output. A search of the internet brings up scant information on any of these films. For those who have seen any of the above films or have any information about them, I would welcome any comments.

Steven H

#29 Post by Steven H » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:13 am

Finally, a second Gosho Heinosuke film comes out on DVD. An Inn At Osaka (Starring Hidari Sachiko, 1954), to be released on Sept. 29th, without subtitles. Unlike many of his films It has a bit of a reputation, and I hope its as good as the work surrounding it, Where Chimneys Are Seen (the only other available DVD of his, also unsubtitled) and Growing Up Twice.

In the english subtitled realm, there are four new Kitano DVDs set to be released in Japan: Dolls, Kikujiro, Hana-bi, and Kantoku Banzai!. I'm not sure where these films stand in high quality availability, so this may be a very good thing.

Also, Inudu Isshin (Josee, the Tiger and the Fish) has a new film available with english subs, Kiiroi Namida (aka Yellow Tear, 2007).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#30 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:48 am

Steven H wrote:Finally, a second Gosho Heinosuke film comes out on DVD. An Inn At Osaka (Starring Hidari Sachiko, 1954), to be released on Sept. 29th, without subtitles. Unlike many of his films It has a bit of a reputation, and I hope its as good as the work surrounding it, Where Chimneys Are Seen (the only other available DVD of his, also unsubtitled) and Growing Up Twice.
"Growing Up Twice" is yet another imbecilic English mis-titling on a Japanese film. Accepted translation of Ichiyo Higuchi's story are "Growing Up" and "Child's Play" -- but the title literally means "Comparing Measurements" (size, strength, wits, beauty ...). ;~}

Gosho is usually worth seeing -- and "Inn at Osaka" certainly _sounds_ interesting, judging by Nolletti's book on Gosho.

Steven H

#31 Post by Steven H » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Gosho is usually worth seeing -- and "Inn at Osaka" certainly _sounds_ interesting, judging by Nolletti's book on Gosho.
I'm excited to see it. Noletti gives it a good write up in his book (which is worth reading even if you haven't seen any Gosho, but invaluable if you have a bunch without subtitles.) I'm even more interested in seeing Hani's wife Hidari Sachiko's role in it, which was brought up at least once by Richie in The Japanese Film.

backstreetsbackalright

#32 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:44 am

feckless boy wrote:Kinokuniya will release Light Snowfall aka Sasameyuki (Yutaka Abe, 1950) June 30. Starring Hideko Takamine. Has anyone seen this or anything else by this director?
Anybody seen this yet? Or know if it has English subs?

artfilmfan

#33 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:45 am

backstreetsbackalright wrote:
feckless boy wrote:Kinokuniya will release Light Snowfall aka Sasameyuki (Yutaka Abe, 1950) June 30. Starring Hideko Takamine. Has anyone seen this or anything else by this director?
Anybody seen this yet? Or know if it has English subs?
MK (who else? :) ) has seen it and posted some comments in his "Blog". Go to the MoC "Random Speculations and Rumors" thread, look for the link in his comment on my posting on Naruse's A Wife's Heart.

Talking about MK's Blog, I agree with his comments on Tadashi Imai' Till We Meet Again. This is a very good film with some very beautiful scenes. Oh, yes, that "kissing through the window glass" scene is indeed "heart melting".

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#34 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:08 pm

The Abe DVD does not show signs of extensive film restoration -- but it looks decent enough. If you read Tanizaki's book first, I think you will find it extremely easy to follow almost everything that takes place in this film version.

Bottom line -- a lot less pretty than Ichikawa's version -- but I prefer it by a wide margin, nonetheless.

backstreetsbackalright

#35 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks muchly for that. I've read the novel a couple times, so it sounds like I might be able to stagger through alright.

For the moment I'm (temporarily) not region-free. As soon as that's remedied (sometime in September), I'll order that.

Jack Phillips

#36 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:33 pm

feckless boy wrote:Kinokuniya will release Light Snowfall aka Sasameyuki (Yutaka Abe, 1950) June 30. Starring Hideko Takamine.
BTW, sasameyuki is the term Japanese apply to falling cherry blossom petals (the petals tend to drop all at once, covering the ground like a light snowfall). The usual associations with beauty and impermanence attend, of course, lending significance to the original novel and the film adaptations.

esl

#37 Post by esl » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:16 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:Gosho is usually worth seeing -- and "Inn at Osaka" certainly _sounds_ interesting, judging by Nolletti's book on Gosho.

I have yet to see any films by Gosho. The Noletti book had been on my want list. This post finally caused me to order it. It arrived yesterday. Skimmed through the book last night. My interest is greatly piqued. I look forward to seeing "Inn at Osaka". I hope more of his films are released.

feckless boy

#38 Post by feckless boy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:34 am

Toho are re-releasing their currently absurdly overpriced Kurosawa dvds. Among them High and Low, does anyone know if the previous release was anamorphic? The reissues will be priced around 3000 yen (26 dollar).

Jack Phillips

#39 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 am

feckless boy wrote:Toho are re-releasing their currently absurdly overpriced Kurosawa dvds. Among them High and Low, does anyone know if the previous release was anamorphic?
Yes, it was. No English subs, though.

feckless boy

#40 Post by feckless boy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:59 am

Jack Phillips wrote:
feckless boy wrote:Toho are re-releasing their currently absurdly overpriced Kurosawa dvds. Among them High and Low, does anyone know if the previous release was anamorphic?
Yes, it was. No English subs, though.
Thank you Mr Phillips! I guess this is the one to get for the time being.

manicsounds

#41 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 pm

Yes, but the reissue won't have supplements either.

The Madman Region 4 has the film in anamorphic, Perspecta Stereo, and English subtitles

Steven H

#42 Post by Steven H » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Not necessarilly R2 Japan, but some recent HK or Korean editions of previously expensive as hell versions of R2 Japan films might fit into this thread (as I imagine some of us who are put off by these prices might appreciate such info.) Either out now or coming soon are: Nishikawa's Sway, Tengen's Waiting in the Dark, Yamada's Love and Honor, Motohiro's UDON, Lee's Hula Girl, and the portmanteau film Female, with segments directed by Nishikawa Miwa and Hiroki Ryuichi among others.

Steven H

#43 Post by Steven H » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:55 am

Thought I'd crosspost from Linda Linda Linda (since on second thought, its probably more appropriate info for this thread (forgive me mods):
Good news for Yamashita Nobuhiro fans, his A Gentle Breeze In The Village will be coming out on DVD in Japan with English subtitles in December (12/21/07). It was a big hit at the TIFF this year (reviews: cinematical, film.music.philosophy, Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind) and sounds like a lot of people here would enjoy it. It seems that international attention wasn't in the cards for anything else by Yamashita between this and Linda Linda Linda, but there's another recent film by him available without subs Matsugana Potshot Affair, which sounds really interesting as well. Most of his earlier work can be found on yesasia.com (along with his segment of the compilation film Ten Dreamy Nights).

Steven H

#44 Post by Steven H » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:32 pm

A ridiculous amount of new Japanese DVDs with English subtitles are up on cdjapan.co.jp, though I'm not sure which ones are rereleases or what. Other than all or most of Kaji Meiko's Female Scorpion, Fuji Junko's Red Peony Gambler and Takakura's Dragon Tattoo series, I'll go through some of the highlights: Uchida Tomu's version of The Great Buddha's Pass (same novel Sword of Doom is based on) from 1957, and Kudo Eiichi's *amazing* samurai film Thirteen Assassins, which was just released in France with French subtitles, but now the English speaking world has a shot at it. There are even more samurai and yakuza films that I didn't mention, so genre fans rejoice! And lets hope this is a complete change of pace for Japanese companies, with cheap prices and English subtitles to boot.

J Wilson

#45 Post by J Wilson » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:55 pm

I have to think those listings are a mistake; these releases are part of Toei's regular selected title price drop promotion, and should be the exact same discs as the full price releases. The listing details on the titles I looked at list no subtitles. The first four or five RED PEONY GAMBLER films have subs available on the web, so interested parties can check them out that way, at least. Not sure about the others.

Jack Phillips

#46 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:14 pm

Well spotted! I just love B&W samurai movies in 'scope.

Steven H

#47 Post by Steven H » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:13 am

J Wilson wrote:I have to think those listings are a mistake;
You're probably right, its definitely happened before with cdjapan. Ah well.

Cosmic Bus

#48 Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:05 am

Steven H wrote:Either out now or coming soon are: Nishikawa's Sway, Tengen's Waiting in the Dark, Yamada's Love and Honor, Motohiro's UDON, Lee's Hula Girl, and the portmanteau film Female, with segments directed by Nishikawa Miwa and Hiroki Ryuichi among others.
I've always had trouble staying up to date on interesting new Asian films, so your little list was a nice find. I went ahead and ordered Sway and Waiting In the Dark, along with the cheaper, single-disc verison of the Girl Who Leapt Through Time (which I also heard about here). Wanted to pick up Secret Sunshine, too, but the available edition is a little more expensive than I'd like.

So, anyway, thanks!

Steven H

#49 Post by Steven H » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:51 am

Cosmic Bus wrote:I've always had trouble staying up to date on interesting new Asian films, so your little list was a nice find.

So, anyway, thanks!
Thanks, I feel the same way so I've developed a little system to organize things a bit better. One really good way to keep up with what's coming out in regard to asian films is keeping an eye on this page at DVDAsian.com. Its in order by catalog number, with the most recent on top, and lists Japanese releases (usually with english subtitles) from all regions. The same site is a great resource for a few other countries as well (and they have pretty decent prices and shipping policies as well.)

esl

#50 Post by esl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:37 pm