Alexander Kluge Box Set

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
accatone

#51 Post by accatone » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:28 pm

The wonderfull thing with Kluge is (as opposed to Godard) his more positive link to the present/future of the medium/film. Just found these two radio interview & review on the zweitauseneins webpage.

Might be time for a thread on the filmmakers board?

Oedipax

#52 Post by Oedipax » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Accatone, with the widespread adoption now occurring of HDTV, the cameras are all following suit, that is, they're all becoming native 16:9 and have for a few years now. In fact, 16x9 is part of the HD standard in cameras, as I understand it...

I don't know of any recent video cameras (consumer or otherwise) that are made specifically with 4x3 in mind, which is a real problem. If one wanted to shoot 4x3 on one of the new 16x9 cameras, you would have to shoot a 16x9 image and then crop the sides later (also hopefully having cropped your monitor during the shoot). But the problem there is that you'd only be using a fraction of the camera's total resolution.

I think this is a genuine concern. Even broadcast cameras for newsgathering are going 16x9 with more networks now doing their news in HD.

The problem is that there isn't really a way to have it both ways in terms of the design - the camera's imaging chip is going to be optimized one way or the other. It's simply an economic reality these days that that means cameras will be optimized and designed with the 16x9 ratio in mind.

One possible solution I can think of, which seems unlikely, is a 4x3 full super-35mm type imager that gives you the option of using anamorphic lenses or normal lenses shooting open-matte with 1.85, 1.66, or 2.35 cropping. This would be a high-end camera, of course...

Digital SLR makers - Canon and Nikon - are also starting to introduce HD video modes on their latest models, the Canon 5D mk.II and the Nikon D90. The cameras usually have a ratio of about 3:2 in stills mode, but they wrangle that to be 16x9 for video somehow. Maybe we could see a 1.33:1 mode in a future full-frame DSLR that does video.

accatone

#53 Post by accatone » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Whoah - Cool - Thanks for the info Oedipax, thats what i expected with the new 16:9 cameras. So thats actually the other way around to what i had/have on my camcorder when trying to go widescreen - i.e. cropping in post production. I havn't shot anything in video lately but used to do a lot a few years ago and was really thinking and experimenting with the format and i think it would be quite interesting to talk about that - however, this would belong to another / more technical thread. Thanks again!
Kluge interviews David Denby about The Dinosaurs of the US Film and the New Media (German dub but original english is to my ears dominant/understandable) http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Hc5Sik1BA
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5r1FMlr ... re=related

accatone

Re: Alexander Kluge Box Set

#54 Post by accatone » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 am

SEEN SIND FÜR FISCHE INSELN http://www.zweitausendeins.de/suche/?Ar ... er%20kluge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

137 TV Films on 14 DVDs / 30h.

1 Der Eiffelturm, King Kong und die weiße Frau (Kulturmagazine)
2 Mann ohne Kopf (Balladen & Moritaten)
3 Im Rausch der Arbeit
4 Abschied von der sicheren Seite des Lebens
5 Liebe macht hellsichtig
6 Die siamesischen Hände
7 Krieg ist das Ende aller Pläne
8 Woher wir kommen, wohin wir gehen (Evolution, Kosmos)
9 Freiheit für die Konsonanten! (Facts & Fakes Nr. 1)
10 Grenzfälle der Schadensregulierung (Facts & Fakes Nr. 2)
11 Das Kraftwerk der Gefühle (Oper 1)
12 Finsterlinge singen Bass (Oper 2)
13 Die poetische Kraft der Theorie
14 Alle Gefühle glauben an einen glücklichen Ausgang (Der Zauber der verdunkelten Seele, Minutenfilme im 65-mm-Format)

Subtitles as with previous Box: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian. Exclusive from Zweitausendeins. Release date is 01.15.09.

zedz

#55 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm

And German Filmmuseum has updated their entries:

The TV Kluge set is out on January 8 and the Whole Shebang set (30 discs) on January 16.

Maybe. This, at least, looks like the firmest date yet, and it's only a month away!

denti alligator

#56 Post by denti alligator » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:04 pm

zedz wrote:And German Filmmuseum has updated their entries:

The TV Kluge set is out on January 8 and the Whole Shebang set (30 discs) on January 16.

Maybe. This, at least, looks like the firmest date yet, and it's only a month away!
Right when I've run out of money!

Minkin

#57 Post by Minkin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Might anyone know how to get the 1 minute short films that play automatically when inserting the disc to either play again or to play at all on VLC?