The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
In Heaven

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

#1 Post by In Heaven » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Is the R2 of this any good? I was a little hesistant (even though it's on sale on xploited) because I know a lot of non-R1 Greenaway dvds have crappy video quality. I'm guessing there's still no mention of a R1 re-release?

arsonfilms

Re: The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

#2 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:26 pm

In Heaven wrote:Is the R2 of this any good? I was a little hesistant (even though it's on sale on xploited) because I know a lot of non-R1 Greenaway dvds have crappy video quality. I'm guessing there's still no mention of a R1 re-release?
Its still on sale at Amazon UK, and when I picked it up it was a better deal. To my eye the quality is good, but I don't have any frame of reference to compare it to anything. Plus, its the only edition currently on the market... if you want to see it, it'll run you less than $10 on Amazon, so it isn't really worth holding out for a region 1.

django

#3 Post by django » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 pm

one of the customer reviews on Amazon.co.uk complains about cropping issues with the R2 DVD, though obviously that's not exactly the most authoritative source.

Der Müde Tod

#4 Post by Der Müde Tod » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:43 pm

In Heaven wrote:Is the R2 of this any good? I was a little hesistant (even though it's on sale on xploited) because I know a lot of non-R1 Greenaway dvds have crappy video quality. I'm guessing there's still no mention of a R1 re-release?
The British DVD is excellent. The Amazon.uk reviews talking about cropping must refer to a different version. One of the comments is from 2001, while the DVD is from 2003. The VHS has the very same reviews, too. Aspect ratio of the DVD is 2.35:1, bitrate is above 8 mb/s.

Oedipax

#5 Post by Oedipax » Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Is this now assumed a no-go for Criterion? With Baby of Macon, Prospero's Books and now A Zed and Two Noughts all announced for bluray this year, I can't help but wonder what the situation is with this one.

denti alligator

#6 Post by denti alligator » Mon May 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Where has Prospero's Books been announced for Blu-ray?

wattsup32

#7 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 pm

There are a couple of people on the Criterion Facebook page alluding to a Criterion blu of this. I see it mentioned as a no-go in this thread. Anyone have the dope on this?

Oedipax

#8 Post by Oedipax » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Cook, Thief is mixed up in the whole Miramax thing, isn't it? Now that the library's finally been sold, maybe Criterion can move forward with licensing it.

wattsup32

#9 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:28 pm

Oedipax wrote:Cook, Thief is mixed up in the whole Miramax thing, isn't it? Now that the library's finally been sold, maybe Criterion can move forward with licensing it.
I think you are right about the Miramax thing. If Criterion got this (especially for blu), it would likely be the most anticipated Criterion release ever (for me, I mean).