Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

M Sanderson

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#376 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:54 am

No worries. I thought I’d missed out on an essential release. VC is interesting, to me in particular as I’m intrigued by that overlap betweeen film and documentary, that slippery line. A very good restoration job as well.

I did like it but felt perhaps it was being a bit highbrow in attitude to other artists rights to interpret Stoker’s text.

Franco expert Stephen Thrower really didn’t like VC in his first volume on Franco.

Apperson

#377 Post by Apperson » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:40 am

The April newsletter clue:

Franc Zaic

#378 Post by Franc Zaic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Apperson wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:40 am
The April newsletter clue:

That's not Beineix's Diva, is it? It seems reminiscent, but I'm not sure I remember that specific scene in the film.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#379 Post by soundchaser » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm

I doubt it very seriously - apart from the dual-version Ninety Degrees in the Shade, Indicator is strictly English-language-only.

MichaelB

#380 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 am

I don't think it would be giving anything away to confirm that this film is definitely in English.

90˚ in the Shade was a happy accident - Powerhouse licensed the English-language version under the impression that that was the only version, but when research into the production history determined that there was not only a Czech version but it was made up of different takes, that was obviously worth adding.

rapta

#381 Post by rapta » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm

Dunno if it's been mentioned here already but the most recent newsletter clue is for Force 10 from Navarone. No idea if the previous clue (above) is from the same film or not as I've never seen it! Funnily enough I bought it on DVD literally last week so will be selling that on imminently.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#382 Post by soundchaser » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Just got this in my inbox...
UPDATE, 2 APRIL 2020

First and foremost, we’d like to take this opportunity to say that we hope that you, your families, friends, colleagues and loved ones are all safe, healthy and well. We'd also like to take the opportunity to say to those of you who are key workers and volunteers just how much we appreciate what you are doing to care and provide for others during this challenging time.

Secondly, some updates. We are delighted to report that Lime Wood Media is still up and running, to fulfil your website orders, but with a significantly reduced staff, none of whom needs to either travel on public transport or risk coming into contact with others in order to get to or operate within the warehouse. At the time of writing, Lime Wood Media anticipate being able to ship out orders on a twice-weekly basis, and we will update if the situation changes.

As for our May releases – Spring Night Summer Night, Watermelon Man, Cisco Pike, and Moscow on the Hudson – we are still hoping to be able to bring them to you as originally planned, on their intended release date. If that changes, we’ll provide regular updates via social media.

Beyond May, it’s currently not possible for us to make promises with regards to future release dates, and there are no guarantees that all parts of the supply chains upon which we depend will continue to function. With that in mind, we will be running a different discount offer during April, affording a 10% saving on all currently released titles (i.e., excluding the May titles mentioned above) when you purchase two or more items. Simply enter APRIL at the checkout stage on the website.

Finally, our thoughts and best wishes are with you all, as well as with our many friends and colleagues in the industry, both here and around the world – look after yourselves and each other. And let's all find a way to celebrate once this thing's behind us!

Take care,

Everyone at Powerhouse Films and Lime Wood Media

PS. As we are unable to provide new announcements and pre-orders this month, we thought we would share some of the range of titles we are currently working on, and sincerely hope to bring to you before too long…

I can’t believe they’re doing Ishtar. I’m unreasonably excited.

Ribs

#383 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Wow what a cool line-up of forthcoming titles! Ishtar seemed like a title they definitely should have had on their radar from the off but I assumed wasn't on the table because of pH licensing an Ishtar Q&A for the Fortune release. How great that all of Elaine May's films will now have special boutique label editions from one label or another! Hooray!

KJones77

#384 Post by KJones77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Ecstatic for Ishtar, Diary of a Mad Housewife, and Indicator's take on Buffalo Bill. Can't wait.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#385 Post by soundchaser » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Do you know something I don’t about The Heartbreak Kid, Ribs?

knives

#386 Post by knives » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm
Wow what a cool line-up of forthcoming titles! Ishtar seemed like a title they definitely should have had on their radar from the off but I assumed wasn't on the table because of pH licensing an Ishtar Q&A for the Fortune release. How great that all of Elaine May's films will now have special boutique label editions from one label or another! Hooray!
Where's The Heartbreak Kid at?

therewillbeblus

#387 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm

I thought it was a very warm but ultimately disheartening email in just how unpredictable everything is right now in the industry. Those are strong announcements though, especially Britannia Hospital, which has probably been on my 'to-track-down' list longer than anything else, and I just found a copy of recently!

I'm guessing California Split 2021 at best, or never

Ribs

#388 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm

knives wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:06 pm
Where's The Heartbreak Kid at?

Ha, somehow missed out on that one! Wishful thinking, maybe...

I wouldn’t take this as an indication against California Split coming this year, as these particular announcements are clearly meant to be six titles that they had not so much as teased at all yet. Not just a preview for their biggest releases coming this year!
Last edited by Ribs on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okcmaxk

#389 Post by okcmaxk » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Assuming music rights are holding it up, Basketball Jones was cleared for Being There by Criterion and Warner/Chappell doesn’t hold a copyright on Happy Birthday to You anymore. What does that leave, instrumental music (Sweet Georgia Brown, etc) and the lounge singer near the end?

therewillbeblus

#390 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah, I'm just trying to temper any expectations for positives in 2020. As Louie once said, "Why would anything nice ever happen?"

Kidding aside this is a great set of releases and I'm very grateful for Indicator's transparent letter. I also realize that I didn't add the excellent The Heartbreak Kid to my 'trying times' comedy reserve that I've been digging into a lot lately, so thanks for that reminder.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#391 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:56 pm

okcmaxk wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm
Assuming music rights are holding it up, Basketball Jones was cleared for Being There by Criterion and Warner/Chappell doesn’t hold a copyright on Happy Birthday to You anymore. What does that leave, instrumental music (Sweet Georgia Brown, etc) and the lounge singer near the end?
To judge from the DVD just about all of the music in the film posed issues, but Criterion being able to release Being There with "Basketball Jones" (AFAICT it's never been released without it) doesn't necessarily mean it would be trivial to clear it for California Split—it's entirely possible that the producers of Being There made sure to include video as part of their licensing contracts and the producers of California Split didn't. Home video barely existed in 1974 but was a booming market by the time Being There was made a few years later.

Dr Amicus

#392 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 am

Britannia Hospital is particularly exciting, indeed I was discussing it. with my brother-in-law only a couple of weeks ago. Also, I, Monster - an intriguing failure with a really fine central performance from Lee. This was the first Amicus film I wrote about when doing my thesis, it was a piece comparing it to Hammer near contemporary Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. The Hammer is more fun, a campy mixture of gothic Victoriana, whereas the Amicus (despite bizarrely changing ALL THE NAMES) is a pretty close adaptation with added Freud. Incidentally, I even managed to track down the issue of New Scientist which had the letter about 3D which led Milton Subotsky to push for this to be shot in its bizarre panning shots = natural 3D (which only lasted for part of the shoot before being abandoned).

What A Disgrace

#393 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:19 pm

This was all probably announced today, instead of yesterday, because announcing a Blu-ray of Ishtar on April Fool's Day would set off some red flags! Anyway, I'm hoping none of these are the last we see announcements of May, Scott, Anderson, Perry, Altman or Amicus. Maybe the slightly-late April Fool's gag is that these are the least 'exciting' releases from those filmmakers coming this year?

Reverend Drewcifer

#394 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm

I seem to remember reading that David Cronenberg considers Britannia Hospital a "kind of soft, satirical social satire." Perhaps he was thinking of Paddy Chayefsky's The Hospital? I've never thought of BH as anything less than vicious, but Cronenberg may grade on a different scale than me.

rapta

#395 Post by rapta » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 am

Was just looking up on who might have the rights to Miloš Forman's Ragtime and whether it had been released on Blu-ray before, and have found wildly conflicting information and not sure what the situation is in regards to UK rights. Wikipedia says Paramount were distributors (and indeed, the US DVD is Paramount), but 'Columbia-EMI-Warner' in the UK; the French Blu-ray was licensed through Sony; it's streaming on Amazon Prime Video under Lionsgate (although currently unavailable), but Park Circus list it as being a Universal title. Is the confusion due to it being a De Laurentiis production originally?

Similarly, I wonder if Indicator could get John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King from Sony and the Coen Brothers' The Hudsucker Proxy from Universal, despite both being Warner Bros in the US. The latter did get releases in Australia and Germany through licensing from Universal (and the studio themselves recently released it in Spain, as well as The Man Who Wasn't There), so I'm hoping we see something soon (though admittedly Arrow are closer with Universal).

PS: Also worth noting a lot of Sirk is popping up in Spain via Universal, as well as a scattering of Mann, Lubitsch, McCarey and Leisen titles. I wonder if we might see some of the UK boutiques acquire these and give them some extras (I assume they're all barebones).
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Don't worry, it is definitely on its way. I'm pretty sure Michael Brooke has said just that a few times in various places, and Anthony Nield said just a couple of days ago 'some things can't be rushed' when somebody asked him about California Split. It was submitted to the BBFC in October 2018, so I imagine they won't want to delay it much longer, unless they have some sort of licensing agreement with Sony that would take the delays into account.

After California Split and Buffalo Bill - and considering Fox acquisitions aren't currently an option - I wonder which other Altman titles Indicator may be looking to acquire? The Player, Short Cuts or Secret Honor would be ideal, but I'm unsure of the rights situation for those.

yoloswegmaster

#396 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 pm

Someone on the blu-ray forum says that Studiocanal licensed Gaspar Noe's 'Irreversible' to Powerhouse.

Boosmahn

#397 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 pm

Been wanting to see this, along with I Stand Alone, for a while now. Great news, assuming it is true. (Guessing it's an Anti-Worlds release?)

therewillbeblus

#398 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Considering that it’s not in English and an unpleasant watch, I’d say it meets the criteria that side of the label has embraced so far

KJones77

#399 Post by KJones77 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 pm
Been wanting to see this, along with I Stand Alone, for a while now. Great news, assuming it is true. (Guessing it's an Anti-Worlds release?)
Isn't Anti-Worlds separate from Powerhouse and focused solely on newer films?

If StudioCanal said "Powerhouse". I'd take that to mean it's forthcoming from Indicator or some new label under Powerhouse.

Could be wrong.

therewillbeblus

#400 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:26 pm

Powerhouse is the company that has the Indicator line and the Anti-Worlds line now, as I understand it. Their announcement last year:
2020 will see us revealing details of a number of fresh licensing deals, and the launch of a new Powerhouse Films label, Anti-Worlds, dedicated to showcasing some of the most powerful, uncompromising, and brilliant new films from around the world.