Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#176 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 am

R0lf wrote:Maybe they’re doing a Dietrich/Sternberg Hollywood box for the UK?

They’ve teased several of the titles from Hammer sets in previous clues.
If they are, then it would be fantastic if they could fix the missing dialogue in Shanghai Express

rapta

#177 Post by rapta » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 am

I’m sure it’ll be a box set, and maybe they might even seek to add more films that weren’t in the Criterion set - Thunderbolt and An American Tragedy, the two other films he made at Paramount. That said, neither star Dietrich so they may just stick with the same six and boost the extras to make it different enough from the Criterion.

Was thinking they might release Crime and Punishment at some point since it’s a a Columbia title but at this rate any label can grab titles from under them. I was surprised to see Arrow managed to get Tourneur’s Nightfall which I assumed they would immediately sign after the huge success of Night of the Demon - maybe they’ll go the other way and do Anne of the Indies and Way of a Gaucho instead (both in the Fox library).

Calvin

#178 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:27 am

Crime and Punishment would be great to see, I've suggested it to them a couple of times in the past.

If they could get the recent Austrian Film Museum restoration of The Salvation Hunters as an extra on any Von Sternberg that they do release it would be appreciated, I've been very tempted to import it a few times but it would be great to get it on Blu.

hearthesilence

#179 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Calvin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 am

If they are, then it would be fantastic if they could fix the missing dialogue in Shanghai Express
If they knew about this, theoretically it would be very easy to correct, right? Or am I being green about this? Worst-case scenario, I figure they could grab the audio from pre-existing DVDs/videos and cut it in on a workstation, but I have no idea what the actual workflow is when they do these reissues.

Roger Ryan

#180 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:28 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Calvin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 am

If they knew about this, theoretically it would be very easy to correct, right? Or am I being green about this? Worst-case scenario, I figure they could grab the audio from pre-existing DVDs/videos and cut it in on a workstation, but I have no idea what the actual workflow is when they do these reissues.
The footage is missing as well as the dialogue, cut from the middle of a single static shot. If this footage does, indeed, exist, I imagine it would be a real task to seamlessly integrate it with the shot it was cut from. Then again, it would be worth incorporating the lost footage even if the picture quality drops for eight or ten seconds.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Indicator could easily best Criterion by actually providing a collection of thoughtful extras, as opposed to the rather thin selection spread out among the titles in Crit’s box

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#182 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Not to mention a hard box

Calvin

#183 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Schell's Marlene doesn't appear to have been in print for a while, and would make for a fantastic release either as an extra or as a film in its own right.

rapta

#185 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Seems the June titles have been spoiled by Amazon listings, presumably by accident. Titles we already knew were coming include Richard Loncraine's The Missionary and Jack Clayton's The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne but newly announced are Alan Clarke's Scum and Anthony Simmons' Black Joy. Another nice line-up of British curiosities that month!
True, even if that second one's referencing The Blue Angel (which almost definitely won't be part of any Indicator set, since Eureka have the rights). I'm starting to get excited about this box set; Indicator sets are often no-brainers if you're even vaguely interested in the subject they're covering (I'm not a Harryhausen obsessive but own all three of the sets they put out, and would even be reluctant to part with them).

reaky

#186 Post by reaky » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:31 am

Another detail from a Scarlet Empress poster on Nick Wrigley’s Twitter today, suggesting it’s an individual release and not a set.

Calvin

#187 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:40 am

That may well be the case, but I'm not sure how another Scarlet Empress tease points towards it not being a set?

KJones77

#188 Post by KJones77 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm

This may have been asked before, but what ever happened to spines 46 and 47? IIRC 28 is supposed to be the long-delayed Birdy but are 46 and 47 still expected to come at some point?

peerpee
not perpee

#189 Post by peerpee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:16 pm

28, 46, and 47 are all titles that were scheduled, and then delayed for various reasons. All 3 should be out later this year, all being well.

rapta

#190 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:40 am
That may well be the case, but I'm not sure how another Scarlet Empress tease points towards it not being a set?
Agreed, it's likely they'd do a set of von Sternberg titles rather than just release one (or several one-at-a-time). Being that they're a UK label that are popular overseas, many people might opt for the Criterion set purely due to financials/convenience if they were to release them separately. If they do indeed have multiple von Sternberg films, would also make sense to consolidate resources for the extras, and maybe even squeeze two films onto one disc where possible (unless they planned to do eventual reissues of course, if contractually allowed to).
KJones77 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm
This may have been asked before, but what ever happened to spines 46 and 47? IIRC 28 is supposed to be the long-delayed Birdy but are 46 and 47 still expected to come at some point?
I assume one of them could be California Split, and the third title is likely to be another anticipated Sony title (possibly even one asked for a couple of thousand times since the label launched). Would love to see them do The Dion Brothers/The Gravy Train, for example, or Cisco Pike.

What A Disgrace

#191 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:12 pm

I would like to think one of those titles is The Swimmer.

DeprongMori

#192 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:12 pm
Curious what you would want in a release of The Swimmer that isn’t in the Grindhouse release.

rapta

#193 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:55 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Curious what you would want in a release of The Swimmer that isn’t in the Grindhouse release.
Whenever Indicator tackle a title already released elsewhere, they generally offer something new to digest, whether that's on top of the archival extras or not. Perhaps they'd add even more to what the Grindhouse release offered, not to mention their own writing (and a booklet from them is bound to more than just 10 pages, as it is with the Grindhouse disc). They'd also make it more available to casual collectors, as it hasn't been released in the UK to date (on Blu-ray).

What A Disgrace

#194 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Well, if Indicator has been spending two plus years working on a disc of the movie, the question of "what else could they possibly include" is a tantalizing one. Its one of my favorites, so I'll gladly double dip on a worthy upgrade with new extras, and will enthusiastically do so for a treatment similar to The Last Movie, Scum or Night of the Demon.

KJones77

#195 Post by KJones77 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:51 am

A new title reveal:
SpoilerShow
Badge 373 is a Paramount title released by Olive in the US. Looks Indicator have a new license.

Calvin

#196 Post by Calvin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:03 am

Hopefully without Paramount's usual 'you can only release what we haven't released on DVD' stipulation.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#197 Post by Drucker » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 am

If ever there was a label that could do Parallax View justice...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#198 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am

A user on Blu-ray.com emailed Indicator on whether they asked Sony for their John Ford holdings and Indicator responded that they had requested them and had fingers crossed

rapta

#199 Post by rapta » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am
A user on Blu-ray.com emailed Indicator on whether they asked Sony for their John Ford holdings and Indicator responded that they had requested them and had fingers crossed
Mini box set of his Columbia titles, perhaps; The Whole Town's Talking, The Long Gray Line, The Last Hurrah and Gideon's Day?

Since they have a Paramount deal they'd be wise to try and get things like Rio Grande and The Sun Shines Bright too...assuming Eureka or Arrow didn't get there first of course.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#200 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah, I imagine it would replicate the TCM box minus Two Rode Together, which MOC already put out