Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

KJones77

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#226 Post by KJones77 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm

https://twitter.com/mant_a_tangi/status ... 1169062912

Indicator just retweeted this tweet about J.L. Anderson's Spring Night, Summer Night. This should be a good hint that it'll be a forthcoming release.

beamish14

#227 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:56 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm
https://twitter.com/mant_a_tangi/status ... 1169062912

Indicator just retweeted this tweet about J.L. Anderson's Spring Night, Summer Night. This should be a good hint that it'll be a forthcoming release.

I totally forgot about this one after I saw UCLA's restoration a number of years back. It was hyped so much that I couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed.
It's not a bad film, per say, but I didn't find it to be especially revelatory. If you're a fan of works like Last Night at the Alamo, you'll probably enjoy it.

MichaelB

#228 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:27 am

For some reason I can't post new topics right now, so here's a list of September releases (with artwork spoilered for size):
SpoilerShow
HUSSY
(Matthew Chapman, 1980)
Release date: 23 September 2019
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Written and directed by Matthew Chapman (Strangers Kiss), and starring the great Helen Mirren (Age of Consent), Hussy is an offbeat blend of adult thriller and almost romantic comedy.

Set in the seedier side of London, the film focuses on a prostitute, played by Mirren, who begins an affair with a man, played by John Shea (Missing), harbouring a dark secret.

Part of producer Don Boyd’s efforts to reinvigorate British cinema in the late seventies and early eighties, with films such as The Great Rock ’n’ Roll Swindle and the cinema version of Scum, Hussy is an unsung and underseen gem deserving of a wider audience.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with writer-director Matthew Chapman (2019)
• Interview with actor John Shea (2019)
• Interview with actor Jenny Runacre (2019)
• Interview with produced Don Boyd (2019)
• Interview with Sam Peffer (2012): rare audio recording with the late artist and poster designer
• Original ‘U’ and ‘X’ theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Rebecca Nicole Williams, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD088
BBFC cert: 18
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697920017
SpoilerShow
90˚ IN THE SHADE
(Jiří Weiss, 1965)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

A rare Anglo-Czech co-production, 90° in the Shade is a fascinating, little-seen drama directed by Jiří Weiss (Romeo, Juliet and Darkness) and co-written by David Mercer (Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment).

Set at the height of summer, the film concerns shop assistant Anne Heywood (The Fox), and two men who will affect her life: James Booth (The Man Who Had Power Over Women), the married man with whom she is having affair, and Rudolf Hrušínský (The Cremator), an auditor who has family problems of his own.

Filmed simultaneously in English and Czech versions, Indicator is proud to present both cuts on Blu-ray for the first time ever.

• Two presentations of the film: 90° in the Shade, the English-language version; and Třicet jedna ve stínu, the Czech-language version
• High Definition remasters
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with film historian Michael Brooke (2019)
Degrees of Separation (2019): a demonstration of the differences between the two versions of the film
The Rape of Czechoslovakia (1936): documentary film by director Jiří Weiss on the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia
The Other RAF (1942): documentary by Weiss on the Russian Air Force
100,000,000 Women (1942): documentary edited by Weiss on the role of Soviet women in the Second World War
Before the Raid (1943): dramatised account of Norwegian fishermen outwitting occupational forces during World War II, directed by Weiss and written by acclaimed author Laurie Lee
The IWM Interview with Jiří Weiss (1990): archival audio recording, made by the Imperial War Museums, featuring the director discussing his WWII filmmaking experiences
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing for 90° in the Shade
• Newly translated English subtitles for Třicet jedna ve stínu
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Jonathan Owen, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
#PHILTD153
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899084014
SpoilerShow
THE SYSTEM
(Michael Winner, 1964)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

The first of six collaborations between two of British cinemas most infamous figures – Oliver Reed (The Damned, The Triple Echo) and Michael Winner (Death Wish) – The System finds both at their creative peak.

Reed is leader of a gang of youths, who spend a hot summer season in Devon in pursuit of women – including Jane Merrow (The Appointment) and Barbara Ferris (A Nice Girl Like You).

Filmed on location, and shot by the great Nicolas Roeg before he turned his attentions to directing, The System boasts a fine supporting cast, including Julia Foster (Alfie), Harry Andrews (The Deadly Affair), and David Hemmings (Fragment of Fear).

• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with film historians Thirza Wakefield and Melanie Williams (2019)
• Interview with actor Jane Merrow (2019)
Haunted England (1961): a short film by director Michael Winner exploring some of the haunted castles of England
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with new essays by Andy Miller and Vic Pratt, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
#PHILTD149
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071977
SpoilerShow
THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE
(Alberto Cavalcanti, 1947)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Directed by Alberto Cavalcanti (Went the Day Well?, Dead of Night), They Made Me a Fugitive is a prime example of British film noir.

Trevor Howard (Who?, The Missionary) plays Clem Morgan, an RAF officer during the war, now unemployed since demobilisation. Turning to the black market, he finds himself embroiled in a life of crime that will lead to prison, a daring escape, and a deadly manhunt.

Boasting striking cinematography by Otto Heller, whose later credits would include Michael Powell’s Peeping Tom and classic Cold War thriller The Ipcress File, this UK Blu-ray premiere of They Made Me a Fugitive is accompanied by two rare short films, made during Howard’s own time in the RAF during WWII, featuring his earliest known on-screen appearances.

• Original mono audio
The John Player Lecture with Alberto Cavalcanti (1970): archival audio recording of the celebrated director in conversation at London’s National Film Theatre
Neil Sinyard on ‘They Made Me a Fugitive’ (2019): new appreciation by the author and film historian
Squaring the Circle (1941): dramatised Royal Air Force training film, starring Trevor Howard in his earliest known film role
The Aircraft Rocket (1944): extract from a multi-part RAF technical film, featuring Howard
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Nathalie Morris, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000
All extras subject to change
#PHILTD151
BBFC cert: PG
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071991

Dr Amicus

#229 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:40 am

That's an interesting looking line up - definitely up for the Weiss and Cavalcanti (the latter has been high on my want to see list for years), and the extras on both look almost as interesting thanks to the short films especially. I take it the date for Rape of Czechoslovakia is wrong - isn't it 1939 not 1936?

The newsletter also has a photo clue - I don't have access to it at the moment to include (it's the lower half of a bearded face with a pipe in the mouth) but it looks like Paul Massie from The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#230 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:17 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:40 am
That's an interesting looking line up - definitely up for the Weiss and Cavalcanti and the extras on both look almost as interesting thanks to the short films especially.
Ditto for me. The Weiss is indeed a terrific bumper issue. Huge fan of the Cavalcanti and would loved to have seen a bit more context regarding Spiv Culture post war but it's a very small gripe and would not stop me replacing my copy.

Dr Amicus

#231 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:50 am

IIRC, there's a good article about the Spiv cycle in a mid 90s issue of Sight and Sound - and about the same time I'm sure there was one on Howard.

Re the Weiss, a quick bit of checking suggests the date for the short is 1944.

Has anyone else checked the newsletter for the clue? If I'm right (big if there...) it would suggest the long awaited Hammer Vol 4 is on the way.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#232 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks for the tip doctor. It seems to be the April 1998 edition with an article by Peter Wollen called Riff-Raff. It is also cited in a book by Jefferson Hunter called English Filming English Writing which has other mentions of Spiv cycle references including a contemporaneous study of the making of It always rains on Sunday which I'd like to get hold of; Anyone recommend the Hunter?

KJones77

#233 Post by KJones77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 am

SpoilerShow
Not sure it's Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll. Paul Massie seems to have a mustache that is missing in the photo. Plus, wasn't The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll a newsletter clue just a few months ago?

Dr Amicus

#234 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:19 am

Good point - and I'm recalling from this morning but the beard was a bit fuller and squarer. Oh well, I'm stumped then.

Nabob - the Hunter looks interesting, but I've not read it. For general background there is an interesting article on Crime in the Michael Sissons / Philip French edited Age of Austerity, the collection which also includes Frayn's famous essay about Herbivores and Carnivores in postwar British politics / society.

KJones77

#235 Post by KJones77 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 am

SpoilerShow
Blu-ray.com is saying it is Robert Mitchum in Secret Ceremony.

rapta

#236 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Secret Ceremony seems likely as it's rumoured have another Losey picture lined up for their next Hammer set: The Damned

PfR73

#237 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Chained for Life is a great film that seems to have been unconscionably ignored by U.S. distributors, so I'm glad it'll finally be getting a release somewhere.
Still looking forward to the Powerhouse release, but good news for the film getting more play in the US: Chained For Life has been picked up by Kino Lorber

M Sanderson

#238 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:25 am

When I saw “Weiss” I initially jumped to the conclusion it was Jonathon Weiss’ extraordinary Atrocity Exhibition!

And, for a second I mistook 90 for 92 in the Shade, LOL.

Anyway, glad for Hussy, as I’m a Chapman admirer and hope for his two mid/late ‘80s thrillers. (I really liked his The Ledge.)

M Sanderson

#239 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:27 am

Hoping very much for Losey.

Secret Ceremony is a bizarre, confined film about role playing & identity yet never gets staged and theatrical due to remarkable setting & cinematography.

And The Damned is a dream release, top of the “wish list.”

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#240 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:55 am

Nick Wrigley has been posting two things a bunch on his Twitter:

The other day, he was posting lots of John Ford related stuff (Ford at Columbia set? Without Two Rode Together?)
And he's been posting a bunch of silent-era Fox posters as well over the last few days...

Calvin

#241 Post by Calvin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:13 am

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed that they were successful, but Indicator did confirm that they'd asked Sony for their Ford titles (presumably excluding Two Rode Together). Most of the Fox Fords haven't had a UK Blu-Ray release yet, and there have been recent 4K restorations done on Straight Shooting, Kentucky Pride, 3 Bad Men, The Shamrock Handicap, Hangman's House, and Pilgrimage at least. I wonder if Ford could be Indicator's next multi-volume collection?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#242 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Okay Nick said the Fox stuff was personal research :(

reaky

#243 Post by reaky » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:30 am

M Sanderson wrote:Hoping very much for Losey.

Secret Ceremony is a bizarre, confined film about role playing & identity yet never gets staged and theatrical due to remarkable setting & cinematography.

And The Damned is a dream release, top of the “wish list.”
There’s a cover for Secret Ceremony in the latest Indicator leaflet, included in the delivery of the Dietrich/Sternberg box.

mistakaninja

#244 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 am

Curiously, there isn't one for California Split in this leaflet.

Luke M

#245 Post by Luke M » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am

California Split is the new Cocktail Molotov

MichaelB

#246 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 am

Don't worry - it is definitely coming.

What A Disgrace

#247 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 am

I'm surprised Hammer volume 4 wasn't announced for October. That isn't going to wind up being the new Eisenstein: The Silent Years, is it?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#248 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:21 am
I'm surprised Hammer volume 4 wasn't announced for October. That isn't going to wind up being the new Eisenstein: The Silent Years, is it?
Vol 4 for this year Tweeted by Powerhouse

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#249 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:31 am

I like to think they’re intentionally dragging it out at this point solely to fuck with that annoying guy on the Blu-Ray.com forums

What A Disgrace

#250 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:38 am

There's even a preview of the banner which cuts off most of the subtitle. If my pattern recognition skills are correct, I'm guessing the title of Volume 4 will be Faces of Fear.