Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#326 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm

On the basis of current acquisitions, one of those directors will get another Indicator edition, although the release date hasn't been set yet.

KJones77

#327 Post by KJones77 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm
On the basis of current acquisitions, one of those directors will get another Indicator edition, although the release date hasn't been set yet.
Terrific news.

I recall a few years back somebody asked Indicator about Fleischer's "The Don Is Dead" and they said they had to drop it because of the state of the remaining materials.

Not sure if that's the one you're referring to, but would definitely love to see that one come out one day if Indicator could figure out something with the transfer.

therewillbeblus

#328 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:59 pm

I'd be surprised if the Losey stopped, even if there are no current acquisitions. It would also be understandable to wait to see how well the ones released sell, which I imagine will be pretty strong.

Orlac

#329 Post by Orlac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:26 pm
Dr Amicus wrote:And the best of the pirate films, Captain Clegg, is already out on Blu from Final Cut ( I think). One of them, I think it was Blood River, was heavily cut before release because Hammer had a change of mind and wanted to go after the holiday kids audience. It started as an X before ending up as a U!
It actually went from X to A to U!

In the X version, you get the full piranha sequence (complete with lots of unconvincing-looking blood in the water), in the A version, piranhas merely get mentioned verbally, and in the U version the entire scene gets removed. I’m not sure how it subsequently explains the disappearance of the relevant character - maybe it doesn’t bother?
Sort of negates the title of the movie if there's no blood in the river - besides, any film can benefit from a piranha sequence.

MichaelB

#330 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:15 pm

That's certainly true. Imagine if San Francisco Bay had been full of piranhas when Kim Novak flung herself in in Vertigo.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#331 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Sounds like you just pitched Guy Maddin’s next film

Orlac

#332 Post by Orlac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:15 pm
That's certainly true. Imagine if San Francisco Bay had been full of piranhas when Kim Novak flung herself in in Vertigo.
I'd have placed them in a pool directly next to the bell tower.

M Sanderson

#333 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Some people are suggesting Hell is a City for the fifth Hammer box. That would be nice. Can this one be ruled out?

M Sanderson

#334 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:55 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Terrific news.

I recall a few years back somebody asked Indicator about Fleischer's "The Don Is Dead" and they said they had to drop it because of the state of the remaining materials.

Not sure if that's the one you're referring to, but would definitely love to see that one come out one day if Indicator could figure out something with the transfer.
Trying to think what Fleischers have been released in different territories. I think in Germany there’s Girl in the Red Velvet Swing & The Don is Dead. Europe and America have Mandingo. Barrabas is also I believe out in Europe. Flicker Alley just put out Trapped. Given rights & materials, could it be any of these, if it is even Fleischer...

Also will this Fleischer or Losey be a world Blu ray premier, if anyone’s allowed to say? Obviously Armoured Car Robbery & Narrow Margin, film noir classics both, aren’t available in HD...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#335 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:12 am

MichaelB wrote:
Would love to see Losey's King and Country given the treatment if it is at all attainable. Is it Studio Canal?

MichaelB

#336 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 am

I’m not saying anything concrete about unannounced acquisitions, either to confirm or deny. Sorry!

(It’s bad enough revealing a title too early and then having to put up with endless “where’s such-and-such?” posts for months and sometimes years, as though we’d somehow completely forgotten that we had it under license. Maybe major outfits dealing with gazillions of titles fall prey to that kind of amnesia, but small boutique labels definitely don’t!)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#337 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 am
I’m not saying anything concrete about unannounced acquisitions, either to confirm or deny. Sorry!
I wasn't trying to wheedle information out from you re the Losey title just expressing a desire for it. I was also just wondering if there is a problem with the rights or it is a 'straight forward' Studio Canal title as it seems it might be a bit more complex than that.

MichaelB

#338 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Sorry, that was a generalised answer to three or four posts, not to a single specific one.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#339 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Regarding the Hammer sets, is it certain they can only cover Sony titles, and is it also established that volume 5 will be the last one?

MichaelB

#340 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 pm

The original five-volume plan was based on the assumption that no more Hammer titles would be available beyond the Columbia holdings. However, as Indicator co-founder John Morrissey has confirmed that the StudioCanal deal includes several Hammer titles...

...well, hopefully that's answered both your questions!

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#341 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:18 pm

It kind of has - thanks!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#342 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:22 pm

The Studio Canal Servant blu-ray is also OOP, and felt like it was only available for a short-time. Would be superb to be rescued from Indicator.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#343 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm sure it will since I recently shelled out for a copy

M Sanderson

#344 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:47 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:12 am
MichaelB wrote:
Would love to see Losey's King and Country given the treatment if it is at all attainable. Is it Studio Canal?
remarkable film badly treated on home digital video

this would be an ideal rescue job, for a fresh scan

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#345 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:00 pm

I'd be pleased with M, which has a French BD with forced French subs

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#346 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:13 pm

And on top of that, has possibly the worst application of DNR I've ever seen.

Lowry_Sam

#347 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm sure M would be at the top of the list, but doesn't it have rights issues? or is that just the US?

I saw it at the PFA and remembered something in the introduction about how hard it was to get this screened here, but can't recall off hand if it was a rights issue, a print issue or both.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#348 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 pm

It's definitely played a couple of times at Film Forum in the recent past. Here's a listing from 2015.

M Sanderson

#349 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am

Would be amazing to get M, Prowler and King & Country looking really good on Blu ray.

Prowler could probably look really good with better compression and higher bitrate (VCI put out a problematic release a few years ago, perhaps not doing full justice to the big restoration job that the film had benefited)

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#350 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 am
Would be amazing to get M, Prowler and King & Country looking really good on Blu ray.

Prowler could probably look really good with better compression and higher bitrate (VCI put out a problematic release a few years ago, perhaps not doing full justice to the big restoration job that the film had benefited)
Can we add Figures in a landscape to that little list. A remarkable film boasting some of the best in camera aerial photography ever.