Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#276 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am

Here it is :

KJones77

#277 Post by KJones77 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am
Here it is :
Somebody on blu-ray.com identifies this as Winter Kills (1979).

Should indicate that one of the new deals Indicator hyped up in the newsletter is with StudioCanal!

M Sanderson

#278 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 am

Florinaldo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:13 am
The latest Indicator newsletter contains the following tantalising tidbits:

As we look to the new year, it gives us great pleasure to confirm not only that there will be many more world premieres, but also that a great many of them will be brand new restorations.

In addition, 2020 will see us revealing details of a number of fresh licensing deals, and the launch of a new Powerhouse Films label, Anti-Worlds, dedicated to showcasing some of the most powerful, uncompromising, and brilliant new films from around the world.
I hope they reissue The Reckoning with a new restoration one day. It’s an astonishing film, featuring one of the most compelling performances I’ve seen in a British film, and the current release might be a great package, but the master’s barely good enough for HD.

Calvin

#279 Post by Calvin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:04 pm

A poster at the Blu-Ray.com forum has got confirmation that Indicator have got a deal with StudioCanal and that deal seemingly includes Hammer titles.

What A Disgrace

#280 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Hammer Volume 5 and up are gonna make me sell off more Shout! Blu-rays, which is fine with me. And hopefully, one or two Warner Archive titles.

Don't Studio Canal own Masque of the Red Death?

Calvin

#281 Post by Calvin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:09 am

A new restoration of The Masque of the Red Death premiered at the London Film Festival, so I would be surprised if Studio Canal don't release that one themselves.

Hopefully this deal means that Indicator get to have a crack at a Hitchcock box set. I'd also like to see Indicator treatment for J. Lee Thompson's The Woman in a Dressing Gown, Carol Reed's Outcast of the Islands and Midshipman Easy.

Aunt Peg

#282 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 am

I'd like Crimes of the Heart (1986) but I don't see that happening. The Spanish Blu Ray has forced Spanish subtitles and the first chapter is out of sync but the picture quality is by far the best the film has ever looked.

Would also snap out The Woman in a Dressing Gown in a heartbeat - great film.

Calvin

#283 Post by Calvin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm

An ad in the new issue of Sight & Sound confirms Winter Kills, Night Tide, Resurrected, Orphans and The Pillow Book.

Hopefully the other Film4-owned Greenaway titles follow, particularly The Baby of Macon and Prospero's Books.

beamish14

#284 Post by beamish14 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm
An ad in the new issue of Sight & Sound confirms Winter Kills, Night Tide, Resurrected, Orphans and The Pillow Book.

Hopefully the other Film4-owned Greenaway titles follow, particularly The Baby of Macon and Prospero's Books.

I thought Baby of Macon was 100% controlled by producer Kees Kasander. Regardless, it's ridiculous that it's been so neglected.
The screenplay was published, but the film never got distribution in North America.

Calvin

#285 Post by Calvin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:53 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:41 pm
Calvin wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm

I thought Baby of Macon was 100% controlled by producer Kees Kasander. Regardless, it's ridiculous that it's been so neglected.
The screenplay was published, but the film never got distribution in North America.
It's listed as part of the Film4 library by their sales agent.

Big Ben

#286 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Oh boy The Baby of Macon? I cannot imagine how people in this day and age would react to it. It's a nasty little picture that needs to be more widely seen.

Cremildo

#287 Post by Cremildo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 am

From Twitter:
We’ll be announcing our January 2020 line-up to newsletter subscribers on Thursday morning, meaning there’s just a few more days to take advantage of our BUNDLE2019 offer.

Ovader

#288 Post by Ovader » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Bottom of photo lists five upcoming editions some of which have already been discussed elsewhere. Image

Big Ben

#289 Post by Big Ben » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02 pm

What's the middle film in the 2020 section? I cannot read the title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#290 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Resurrected

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#291 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 pm

I’m assuming Orphans is not the Pakula film?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#292 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 pm

colinr0380

#293 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

swo17 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 pm
"She ain't heavy...she's my mother"

Peter Mullan's first directed feature length film, about four siblings who separate early on and end up going on their own individual journeys of discovery in the night before their mother's funeral. Its darkly comic with a weirdly beautiful streak of magical religious Catholic realism. Its a really great (and very funny!) little film and deserves to be much better known than it is (I think it barely got screened on Film4 beyond once or twice a couple of decades ago)

Hopefully Indicator can port forward the extras from the old DownTown/MGM DVD edition. That has the trailer, a making of documentary, deleted scenes and audition tapes (both with commentary), two of Mullan's short films (Close and Good Day for the Bad Guys), an isolated score and a commentary with the all-time classic commentary opening "Welcome to the world of DVD, you sad anorak bastards...!"

This was also the film that caused Mullan to go on a tirade at Channel 4/Film4 as they apparently destroyed hours of behind the scenes material from the film without any consultation with him first. I wonder if there have been any developments since that point.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#294 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm

I’ve been tiptoeing for years on getting the Kino Classics Night Tide Blu-ray, and after reading Curtis Harrington’s bio and re-watching his early shorts a few months ago, it’s been on the back of my mind since. Looking forward to another beefy box set from Indicator.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#295 Post by tenia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 am

January titles :
Orphans
Resurrected
Winter Kills (new 4K restoration and 2 cuts)
Night Tide Le (with an exclusive additional BD for 8 Harrington shorts)

Bundle code is now active on this wave.

KJones77

#296 Post by KJones77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am

Clue this month:

Answer:

HitchcockLang

#297 Post by HitchcockLang » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am

I am thrilled that Night Tide is Region Free. When I saw it in the Sight & Sound ad, I was terrified it would be Region B locked. Is this from Sony or is this an indication that one of Indicator's new deals also allows for region free releases?

I am also excited that the bonus disc replicates all eight shorts from the long out of print Flicker Alley release (which has since been re-released as MOD, but a pressed disc from Indicator plus Night Tide is much preferable).

KJones77

#298 Post by KJones77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am

HitchcockLang wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 am
I am thrilled that Night Tide is Region Free. When I saw it in the Sight & Sound ad, I was terrified it would be Region B locked. Is this from Sony or is this an indication that one of Indicator's new deals also allows for region free releases?

I am also excited that the bonus disc replicates all eight shorts from the long out of print Flicker Alley release (which has since been re-released as MOD, but a pressed disc from Indicator plus Night Tide is much preferable).
Believe it is from Nicolas Winding Refn, is it not? I know he did the 4K restoration so I would think he had some rights control over it.

Finch

#299 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Since Indicator have access to Studio Canal titles, I'm hoping they get to do Peeping Tom.

MichaelB

#300 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 pm

The StudioCanal Blu-ray is still in print, so you can probably work out how likely that is - and the same goes for any other StudioCanal title in the same position, of course.

(See also the fact that Earth vs The Flying Saucers wasn't included in Indicator's Harryhausen survey - it's already out as a British Sony BD - and why the machine-readable side of Jason and the Argonauts is identical to the Sony BD, menus and all.)