70 The Collector

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

70 The Collector

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:16 am

(William Wyler, 1965)
Release date: 24 September 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere) - preorder here

The great Hollywood director William Wyler (Jezebel, Wuthering Heights, The Heiress, Ben-Hur) took John Fowles’ celebrated novel and turned it into one of the finest – and most controversial – psychological thrillers of the 1960s.

A lonely, unbalanced young butterfly collector (Terence Stamp, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Mind of Mr. Soames, Superman II) stalks and abducts a young art student (Samantha Eggar, Psyche 59, The Brood), keeping her imprisoned in a stone cellar as if she were one of his specimens.

Stamp and Eggar won Best Actor prizes for their roles at the 1965 Cannes Film Festival, and the film remains a surprising and often shocking depiction of psychotic obsession.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
• 2K restoration
• Original mono audio
• The Guardian Interview with William Wyler (1981, 83 mins): archival audio recording of the celebrated filmmaker in conversation with Adrian Turner at London’s National Film Theatre
• The Guardian Interview with Terence Stamp (1989, 92 mins): archival audio recording of the award-winning actor in conversation with Tony Sloman at the National Film Theatre
• Selected scenes commentary with author and film historian Neil Sinyard
• Angel to Devil (2018, 13 mins): new and exclusive interview in which Terence Stamp remembers working with Wyler
• Nothing But Death (2018, 16 mins): Award-winning actor Samantha Eggar recalls her work on the film in this new and exclusive interview
• The Look of Stardom (1965, 3 mins): promotional film about the casting of Samantha Eggar
• The Location Collector (2018, 8 mins): identifying the places where The Collector’s exteriors were filmed
• Richard Combs on ‘The Collector’ (2018, 9 mins): a new appreciation by the renowned critic, lecturer and broadcaster
• Original theatrical trailer
• Original teaser trailers
• Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Carmen Gray, John Fowles and The Collector, a look at the making of the film, contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD070
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037889071383

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 70 The Collector

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 am

Good movie. Wyler completely misses the point of the novel, but what we get is still quite entertaining. Even considering how much the Academy loved him, I've always found Wyler's Oscar nomination for Best Director for this film to be surprising-- it's a dark movie, definitely not the kind of film one thought of as Oscar material back then, but Wyler's popularity with the Academy knew no limits

Looks like a typically good slate of extras too, the existing Blu just has a trailer

nitin

#3 Post by nitin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am

Normally do not comment about covers, but really really like the cover art here! Will definitely be offloading my Image disc and getting this.

Boosmahn

#4 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

I've been wanting to read the book this is based on for a long time now! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was basically the first in the "psychological thriller" genre, right?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Well, the point of the book is that the kidnapper resents/is unable to connect with the college student due to his anti-intellectual stance, which causes him to lash out. It's a rather vicious class commentary more than a crime thriller

knives

#6 Post by knives » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm
Well, the point of the book is that the kidnapper resents/is unable to connect with the college student due to his anti-intellectual stance, which causes him to lash out. It's a rather vicious class commentary more than a crime thriller
That's how I took the film (I haven't read the book).

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am

A key difference between the film and the book is that in the book we properly get inside both characters' heads - his in the first half, hers in the second. So the whole class and cultural snobbery angle is explored in much more depth - sometimes unconsciously on the characters' parts; the virtue of not only using two different first-person narrators but also kicking off with his POV, which is likely to be further removed from that of the typical reader of a literary novel like The Collector.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:51 am

Full and final specs:

knives

#9 Post by knives » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:59 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
A key difference between the film and the book is that in the book we properly get inside both characters' heads - his in the first half, hers in the second. So the whole class and cultural snobbery angle is explored in much more depth - sometimes unconsciously on the characters' parts; the virtue of not only using two different first-person narrators but also kicking off with his POV, which is likely to be further removed from that of the typical reader of a literary novel like The Collector.
That's interesting though it seems to me that Wyler succeeded in doing that visually if not with the explicitness of a proper narration.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:02 pm

It should be interesting to hear Eggar's thoughts, as apparently Wyler terrorized her on set in order to get the rattled performance he wanted

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 am

^ I don't understand why directors feel the need to do this. As much as I love Stanley Kubrick, my respect for him went down a bit after what he did to Shelley Duvall on the Shining set. Such behaviour to me feels like a lack of confidence from the director in the actress' ability to get the desired effect of her own accord.

pet42

#12 Post by pet42 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 am

John Fowles wrote about the problems on the set: Link.

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:04 pm

That was a fascinating read. Thank you!

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:29 pm

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:36 pm

MichaelB