87 Gardens of Stone

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

87 Gardens of Stone

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 am

GARDENS OF STONE (Francis Ford Coppola, 1987)

Francis Ford Coppola’s impressive return to the subject of the Vietnam War is a poignant and contemplative companion piece to his epic masterwork Apocalypse Now.

Set in 1968, the film reunites Coppola with Godfather star James Caan, who plays a disillusioned army sergeant stationed at Fort Meyers’ Arlington Cemetery and views the war in Vietnam as unwinnable, despairing at the dead arriving daily for burial from the front lines.

This powerful drama from one of American cinema’s most audacious filmmakers boasts a towering performance by Caan, and a superb supporting cast, including Anjelica Huston, James Earl Jones, Mary Stuart Masterson and DB Sweeney.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original stereo audio
• Audio commentary with filmmaker and critic Jim Hemphill
• Interview with Francis Ford Coppola (2018): an all-new interview with the multi award-winning director as he talks candidly about the production of Gardens of Stone
• Interview with Anjelica Huston
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Neil Sinyard, an overview of contemporary critical responses, historic articles, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD087
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071519

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 087 Gardens of Stone

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

Haven't seen this one but I've long been curious about it. I know it received a mixed reception when it was initially released, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything-- I love Twixt and Youth Before Youth and those got slaughtered by critics and audiences

jazzo

Re: 87 Gardens of Stone

#3 Post by jazzo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Saw it on VHS back in the day, but can't remember a thing about it other than being impressed with its intimate nature and scale. I will be picking it up and revisiting.

I like those other Coppolas, as well!

knives

Re: 087 Gardens of Stone

#4 Post by knives » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am
Haven't seen this one but I've long been curious about it. I know it received a mixed reception when it was initially released, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything-- I love Twixt and Youth Before Youth and those got slaughtered by critics and audiences
I love his last three, but found this one to be fairly devoid of interest. Supposedly halfway through shooting he just gave up doing as close to only showing up as he could manage because of the death of his son and it shows. The basic bones of the film could have been interesting, but Coppola shows no interest in it just letting the film roll by like a television movie. It's not his worst movie, but it is definitely the one with the least things making it compelling.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 am

CineOutsider and CineSavant, both pleasingly lengthy and thoughtful.