159 Bloody Terror: The Shocking Cinema of Norman J Warren 1976-1987

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

159 Bloody Terror: The Shocking Cinema of Norman J Warren 1976-1987

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 am

SATAN’S SLAVE (1976)
PREY (1977)
TERROR (1978)
INSEMINOID (1981)
BLOODY NEW YEAR (1987)

Release date: 22 July 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition Box Set (World and UK Blu-ray premieres)

One of British genre cinema’s most important and distinctive independent filmmakers, Norman J Warren made a series of horror films which were at the forefront of a new wave in British horror during the 1970s. Reflecting a period of permissiveness and fearlessness, Warren’s distinctive stylings are far removed from the Gothic conventions of Hammer Films, deliberately upped the ante in terms of sex, violence and gore to create a new breed of horror that was designed to shock for shock’s sake.

Five of Norman J Warren’s horrifying chillers are presented here in new restorations and on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Containing a wealth of new and archival extras – including new appreciations by contemporary British filmmakers, new cast and crew interviews, audio commentaries on all five films, rare short films, outtakes and alternative scenes, and making-of documentaries – this stunning Limited Edition box set is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:
• New 2K restorations of all five films, approved by director Norman J Warren
• Original mono audio
• The BEHP Interview with Norman J Warren (2018): an archival video recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the prolific filmmaker in conversation with Martin Sheffield
Satan’s Slave audio commentary with director Norman J Warren and screenwriter David McGillivray, and a second commentary with Warren and composer John Scott
Prey audio commentary with Norman J Warren and author Jonathan Rigby
Terror audio commentary with Norman J Warren and screenwriter David McGillivray
Inseminoid audio commentary with Norman J Warren and assistant director Gary White
Bloody New Year audio commentary with Norman J Warren and film critic Josephine Botting
All You Need Is Blood (1976): a vintage ‘making of’ documentary for Satan’s Slave, presented in High Definition for the first time
Creating Satan (2004): an archival documentary on the making of Satan’s Slave featuring interviews with Warren, David McGillivray, actor Martin Potter, and others
Devilish Music (2004): an archival interview with composer John Scott
Satan’s Slave alternative scenes
Keep on Running (2004): an archival documentary on the making of Prey featuring interviews with Warren, actor Sally Faulkner, producer Terry Marcel, and others
Prey: On Set with Norman J Warren (1977): location footage with new Norman J Warren commentary
Bloody Good Fun (2004): an archival documentary on the making of Terror featuring interviews with Warren, actors Carolyn Courage, Mary Maude, James Aubrey and Elaine Ives-Cameron, writer David McGillivray, and others
• Interview with John Nolan (2019): the Terror actor recalls making the film
Terror deleted scene
Subterranean Universe (2004): an archival documentary on the making of Inseminoid featuring interviews with Warren, actors Stephanie Beacham, David Baxt and Barry Houghton, and others
• Interview with Trevor Thomas (2019): a new interview with the Inseminoid actor
Inseminoid Girl (2004): an archival interview with actor Judy Geeson
Electronic Approach (2004): an archival interview with Inseminoid composer John Scott
• Interview with Catherine Roman (2019): the Bloody New Year actor recalls making the film
• Interview with Steve Emerson (2019): the actor and stunt coordinator discusses working on Terror and Bloody New Year
Norman J Warren: A Sort of Autobiography (2004): an archival career-encompassing interview
The Bridge (1955-57): surviving footage of an early short film directed by Warren, about a pilot on a mission to locate a bridge in Germany during World War II
The Making of ‘The Bridge’: rare and unseen behind-the-scenes footage with commentary by Warren
Carol (1962): pilot tests for Warren’s unrealised feature film about teenage pregnancy and backstreet abortion, with Georgina Hale and Michael Craze
Drinkin’ Time (1963): a comic silent short directed by Warren
Turn Off Your Bloody Phone: Norman J Warren and the Ghost (2013): horror short produced for FrightFest, starring Warren, David McGillivray, and Yixi Sun
• Interview with Yixi Sun (2019): an interview with the filmmaker and Warren collaborator
• Trailers and TV Spots
• Image galleries: promotional and publicity material
• New English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with a new essay by Adrian Smith, archival interviews, articles and on-set reports, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits and more
• World and UK premieres on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 6,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD159
BBFC cert: 18
REGION FREE
EAN: 5060697920000

Dr Amicus

Re: 159 Bloody Terror - The Shocking Cinema of Norman J Warren 1976-1987

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 am

Welcome news, and a surprise too I think. I've seen The Terror and Inseminoid, rip offs of / homages to Suspiria and Alien respectively, and they're both great fun, although the former is definitely the better film. I'm assuming the 2004 extras are from the old Anchor Bay set which I was always annoyed I missed

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 am

They are indeed, although lots more are being created for this release.

(Norman J Warren is enthusiastically involved.)

Dr Amicus

#4 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 am

I've met Warren a couple of times and he is a lovely man and great fun to chat to. Also, both he and McGillivray are knowledgeable about the field and fine raconteurs so more of both on the extras is great. Incidentally, McGillivray's autobiography is out later this year I think so that should be well worth reading.

Boosmahn

#5 Post by Boosmahn » Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 am

Day one. I'm loving these Indicator horror releases.

Has anyone here seen the films?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 am

Will Prey and Bloody New Year use the existing Vinegar Syndrome restorations or be new different restorations ?

colinr0380

Re: 159 Bloody Terror: The Shocking Cinema of Norman J Warren 1976-1987

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:03 am

These films are all interesting in one of a kind manner, featuring bizarre happenings, inexplicable events and featuring characters often acting so head slappingly it is almost as if they are in a kind of horror film or something! It is difficult to recommend them casually but if you can get on their wavelength they are extremely fun!

Satan's Slave (with Michael Gough!) is a better satanism film than the Hammer film on the same subject the same year. Terror, a kind of UK take on the giallo film, is perhaps the best of Norman J. Warren's films with an entertaining meta narrative and extremely vivid murder scenes.

Then we get to Prey (lesbians versus cannibal alien, playing out like a relationship chamber drama in an isolated country house), and the notorious Alien 'homage' Inseminoid (though it weirdly feels as if it anticipates some of the material in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant now!), where in a 127 Hours anticipating move someone with their leg trapped in a rockfall bizarrely decides to cut their own leg off rather than move the rock. Without factoring in that this might perhaps depressurise their suit in doing so! Bizarre (but often wildly exhilarating!) character behaviour is the name of the day all around in these films

And Bloody New Year is a kind of silly version of The Shining with more strange occurrences and bizarre deaths! Here's the Cinema Snob video on that film (NSFW: Language)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boosmahn

#8 Post by Boosmahn » Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks for the information, colinr.

I'm interested in the layout of the box -- it doesn't look five titles thick. The individual covers aren't in Scanavo cases, either; maybe the discs are in a digipack since the book is "too" large?

Orlac

#9 Post by Orlac » Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Very good news. I especially like Prey!

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#10 Post by soundchaser » Thu May 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am
Thanks for the information, colinr.

I'm interested in the layout of the box -- it doesn't look five titles thick. The individual covers aren't in Scanavo cases, either; maybe the discs are in a digipack since the book is "too" large?
I’d put money on it being similar to the Boetticher/Scott set — three reversible Scanovo cases and the book.

reaky

#11 Post by reaky » Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 pm

I was going to pass on these, but Colin, you’ve sold them to me!

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks, though do not expect masterpieces here but more charmingly goofy exploitation with a bit more sex and violence than the norm for British films of the period! Plus in Inseminoid Stephanie Beacham and Judy Geeson taking turns in getting terrorised on a futuristic sunbed!

The only problem with this set as far as I can see it is a similar one to those two non-horror Val Lewton productions that were left out of his horror boxset and therefore disappeared. Here we have almost Norman J. Warren's complete feature filmography (aside from his *early* film Loving Feeling, and Her Private Hell which the BFI put out in their Flipside series) but unfortunately are missing the non-horror action film Gunpowder made the year before Bloody New Year. It is understandable that it is left out of this collection of his horror films for which the director is better known, but Gunpowder looks as if it is now going to be left as the most obscure title in his filmography with no particularly discernible 'selling point' to prompt any sort of official release.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cronenfly

#13 Post by Cronenfly » Thu May 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I already have Prey and Terror from Vinegar Syndrome but I will almost certainly be getting this for the other three films and all the extras (seriously, that is quite a list of bonus features). I would like to do what I can to encourage Indicator to do more esoteric collections like this one in the future.

What A Disgrace

#14 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm

I was also going to skip this, but now I am sold.

jlnight

#15 Post by jlnight » Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:27 pm
The only problem with this set as far as I can see it is a similar one to those two non-horror Val Lewton productions that were left out of his horror boxset and therefore disappeared. Here we have almost Norman J. Warren's complete feature filmography (aside from his very first film Loving Feeling, and Her Private Hell which the BFI put out in their Flipside series) but unfortunately are missing the non-horror action film Gunpowder made the year before Bloody New Year. It is understandable that it is left out of this collection of his horror films for which the director is better known, but Gunpowder looks as if it is now going to be left as the most obscure title in his filmography with no particularly discernible 'selling point' to prompt any sort of official release.
It's also missing Spaced Out (aka Outer Touch), his attempt at the sci-fi sex comedy. And Loving Feeling was his second film, not his first!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 02, 2019 5:43 pm

I still have no interest in this set, but I always have interest in Colin defending movies!

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks for the correction jlnight and sorry for the mistake. Spaced Out sounds like an interesting companion to Prey, given that it has Barry Stokes (who plays the alien in Prey) in it!

One of the interesting aspects of many of these films is that they are often combinations of inspirations from other films rather than just one, so Inseminoid is primarily indebted to Alien (and really shows how having a man being impregnated in Alien was perhaps an inspired choice to dodge a lot of the dodgier aspects of such a scene, as all of these post-Alien exploitation films almost inevitably putting a woman in that position go on to underline!), but in its impregnation scene it feels quite influenced by Demon Seed too! Similarly Bloody New Year appears mostly influenced by The Shining, but as noted in that Cinema Snob video also turns into an Evil Dead-style zombie film too! The way that all of these clashing elements get juggled around is often the most interesting aspect in many of these films.

It will also be quite interesting to see what Judy Geeson would have to say about Inseminoid in the extras, as I keep hearing that she really does not like the film at all (though she gets to go through quite the character arc in it!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

HitchcockLang

#18 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 am

I know nothing about Warren but based on the strength of previous releases, Indicator + boxset + region free = instant blind buy for me. Maybe I'll regret this philosophy one day, but so far, I've been having a great time with all these boxes which look like gorgeous artifacts on a shelf and serve to elevate otherwise lesser films into "filmschool-in-a-box" deep dives. The only box set I don't have at the moment is Castle vol. 2 primarily because the strongest film is region B locked, but I'm still considering picking it up.

M Sanderson

#19 Post by M Sanderson » Sat May 04, 2019 3:31 am

I don’t look down on NJW’s films. Prey is a fantastic little chamber piece which generates superb resentment and tension. Terror features the most spectacular metacinematic death scene in perhaps all of cinema, when a film set destructs, killing a photographer. Tremendous tension between setting, objects and character. Inseminoid, with its grotesque excess and camp outfits, I always saw as a wickedly playful film pushing the limits of hysteria.

This could be one of the best box sets ever, as all the films have benefited recent restorations. Prey and especially Terror received spectacular restorations by Vinegar Syndrome. Bloody New Year, given the issues with materials, received the best possible treatment. Have to say I couldn’t get into this one, but will try again. Can’t wait to reacquaint myself with Inseminoid restored, and I’ve never seen Satan’s Slave. Although I own the 3 current VS releases, I’m getting this.

Re Satan’s Slave, VS delayed their release over an aspect ratio issue, claiming the British house responsible for it have presented it in the wrong ratio.

Can’t wait to

reaky

#20 Post by reaky » Sat May 04, 2019 4:31 am

Satan’s Slave has something of the same atmosphere of José Larraz, with sinister goings-on (and lashings of nudity and gore) in an English country house. It benefits from Michael Gough and Candace Glendenning too.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#21 Post by tenia » Sat May 04, 2019 4:34 am

If one got thoroughly bored by the Arrow Larraz set, is it best to skip this one ?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#22 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat May 04, 2019 11:14 am

Are the extremely low IMDB ratings of all these films (5 and under) indicative of the quality of the films or of the masses' inability to see beyond the genre's limits and appreciate eccentric cinematic genius?

Lost Highway

#23 Post by Lost Highway » Sun May 05, 2019 2:36 am

I got the Norman J Warren DVD and Peter Walker UK DVD box sets at the same time and worked my way through their films then. They are interesting if you are into 70s/80s exploitation cinema due to their distinctly British flavour. I have no desire to watch any of their films for a second time, not even with an HD upgrade and Walker was the more interesting of the two.

colinr0380

#24 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:30 am

I might suggest that it might be a bit of both Rayon Vert! But ratings should not be the be all and end all regarding whether a film is worth seeing or not. Regarding Lost Highway's comment I would also favour Pete Walker's films a little more than Norman J. Warren's (I think Frightmare, House of Whipcord and House of Mortal Sin are fantastic, still thought provoking and disturbing today and have to at least be in contention for being the best horror films made in the UK), and I think that coming to the films expecting to be particularly scared, rather than being a bit amused at some of the antics going on, especially in terms of bizarre character motivations that may or may not have been meant to be intentionally funny, can cause some of the lower ratings. Though I would argue that despite Inseminoid never being able to particularly convince that it is taking place in outer space rather than a local cave system (the setting makes it feel a bit claustrophobically closer to the later Day of the Dead in some ways!), it still today provides some of the pure exploitation thrills that Prometheus and particularly Alien: Covenant tried to obscure a little behind weighty themes and mythological discussions!

I also think that putting these films in context of mid 70s to mid to late 80s horror climate really helps. Both Norman J. Warren and Pete Walker's films stand in quite stark contrast to the era of Hammer, Amicus, Tigon, etc that had been so dominant just before (1976 appears to have been a bit of a watershed moment for transitions in UK films in general, with the hugely dominant naughty humour double entendre Carry On series of comedies starting to falter as well against the rise of the more explicit sex comedies like the "Confessions of.." films). There's not really any period horror here, and aside from Inseminoid instead their films are set in the contemporary 1970s UK, i.e. right here and now not safely back in the 1800s (though a number of Pete Walker's films especially deal with the legacy of the 'repressed' past affecting the 'licentious' present in retrograde ways). Lesbianism was a big factor in a number of the Hammer vampire films, but Prey is actually about a lesbian relationship, albeit not the healthiest one! Terror is a film about filmmaking in some ways.

The only thing is if you are coming to these films expecting something similar to the more extreme material occurring in the Italian horror wave over this same period, things are just not going to reach that kind of eye popping level. But I do think that Warren's films are very entertaining and interesting approached from the perspective of a filmmaker both chasing changing trends in horror, the increasing explicitness allowed by the censor and trying to do it all (especially Inseminoid's space epic, which I would say is a bit better than many of the Italian attempts to riff on Alien, even if it of course could never match Alien itself!) on a relatively small budget and resources.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#25 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks colin for that very rich and insightful context - you’re tempting me to order the set.