Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
knives

Re: Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, 2015)

#26 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:39 pm

SpoilerShow
I firmly agree, though to pick a little, the film serves enough of a warning that one should be emboldened to fight against that egotism and ignore whether or not it is futile. I think the ending here is beautiful because Michael's ability to see past himself for just one evening does a deep good to the universe. Lisa seems more assured if not necessarily confident in the end. The movie really emphasizes her self doubt and I think it is important that we finally leave Michael aside for Lisa as an example of what genuine self improvement looks like. It's really a great message for today when things seem hopeless and surreal to say that any little betterment can provide a communal good.

therewillbeblus

#27 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:06 pm

SpoilerShow
I see it the same way, and to go along with the optimism I wrote about the impermanence, that ending with Michael is another example. It's moments of growth and stepping outside of one's self that are significant to recognize and sit with, rather than expecting or measuring growth as a linear improvement which is it not in the social-emotional realm. I think the film does argue that not only should we fight but that it is within our nature to fight and so not fighting is futile, just as fighting carries with it futility as well - but just because there are limitations does not mean that we should not, or will not, engage in fighting or acceptance regardless. Absolutist expectations are what are futile not engagement and maturation in personal development. The awareness is the key, and Michael's awareness in his processing of his feelings fading provide that jump to the ending of momentary growth for him - a form of resilience from insight and brief gratitude from self-acceptance. Lisa, too, shows how resilience is earned through inevitable pain of existing and coexisting with others, especially in living with the highs of deep connection and the yin of rejection, or perceived rejection and the emotional turmoil that comes with it, to that yang. Her movement towards relying on herself to fulfill her happiness is also a transient state but one that she can hold onto to some degree and build upon just like Michael can with his awareness. It's a very honest portrayal of the flexible stumbling that occurs in the less fleshed out side of humanist psychology's self-actualization in not labeling growth or regression as finite but dynamic concepts that are fair in our constantly changing experiences.

knives

#28 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm

SpoilerShow
It's almost like the good and bad angels on the shoulder. It's futile to think you can defeat every bad impulse; yet it is also futile to let it overwhelm you. Humans have good and bad tendencies, motivations, and thoughts by which an act of self actualization seems to be the best way of having a good balance (that's kind of an awkward translation of what I'm trying to say as this conversation and the film have reminded me of a lot of Jewish theological concepts chiefly the yetzarot and cheshbon).

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree with you, though I'd reframe self-actualization as actually being a looser, fluid state rather than the typically more defined version, and so "good balance" would be issued and temporarily sustained with varying degrees at any given moment rather than permanent (like a person standing on a balance board), but I like that idea that an "act of self-actualization" implying a fleeting occurrence that is growth nonetheless, which is right in line with how I view the practice.

knives

#30 Post by knives » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm

I agree, though I would also place this in the field of Vygotsky and use the ZPD to describe the potential. At this moment Michael is low on his ladder, but through each act of self actualization, with good supports, he could make his range a healthier one.

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Of course, that's the beauty of therapy and why in recovery programs I urge people not to get caught up on the rigidity of defining themselves as "off the beam," instead acknowledging regression as a transient moment and moving on to continue that growth. This is also what I was trying to say in my last comments on I Am A Ghost and why that film strikes a very special chord with me.