A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
HinkyDinkyTruesmith

Re: A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick, 2019)

#126 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm
This looks like every other Malick movie
That’s what mfunk said, stunning.

aox

#127 Post by aox » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am

I'm not a huge fan of Malick, but this looks beautiful and riveting. Can't wait to check it out.

solaris72

#128 Post by solaris72 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:36 am

DeprongMori

#129 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I just saw A Hidden Life last night at the Mill Valley Film Festival. I found it beautiful and profoundly moving, but it will not convert anyone who does not care for Malick's style (especially post-"Tree of Life"). It contains many of his stylistic traits: extensive use of use of voice-over, Steadicam, stunning shots of nature, etc. It does retain the extensive use of Steadicam of his recent films, but joined to a more formal screenplay.

The film runs long, and will likely try the patience of many. But depiction of Franz Jägerstätter's commitment to his act of conscience really needs the breathing room it is given here, to provide depth and gravity to the corrosion of his place and his family's place in his village, the pain and fear of his wife and children, the suffocating atmosphere of fear in the culture of village and country as nationalistic hate is fueled, and his own fear, doubt, pain, and probable execution. This is after all a story of faith, wherein the protagonist realizes that while his own personal act of conscience will destroy him and his family and everything he loves, it will likely have no larger impact on the presenting problem, or even be noticed. It is, at its core, a passion play.

Regarding the "language" issue brought up earlier. What Malick does is to present this as a German-speaking world, where only the dialogue that we are meant to understand in nuance is spoken in a German/Austrian-inflected English. I found it a brilliant way of keeping us immersed in the world and didn't find it distancing at all. (And the earlier quoted review that made the statement that it was "German for evil and English for good" was just ridiculous, and should be dismissed outright.) I found it similar to Altman's use of overlapping dialogue while roving a crowd scene, where most of the dialogue is not intelligible except the dialogue you are supposed to hear and interpret. It's a method of framing the dialogue, and I found it to work admirably, as subtitles do detract from the visual and immersive experience.

As a bit of a hard-core admirer of Malick's works (though I still have not seen Song to Song or the extended cut of Tree of Life), I'd rank this in the high-mid-tier to lower-top-tier of his work. I'm glad to see a return to a more plot-structured story, especially one that treats his key themes so strongly.
Last edited by DeprongMori on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dda1996a

#130 Post by dda1996a » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm

So this is closer to Tree of Life and Thin Red Line than Knight of Cups and To the Wonder?

DeprongMori

#131 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:40 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm
So this is closer to Tree of Life and Thin Red Line than Knight of Cups and To the Wonder?
I’d say in terms of structure, story-telling approach, and theme (not to mention historical setting), its nearest kin is The Thin Red Line. In terms of visual technique of fluid Steadicam use, it probably leans closer to Knight of Cups and To the Wonder.

dda1996a

#132 Post by dda1996a » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm

I love every Malick film up to and including Tree of Life, and my problems with everything that came after is their aimlessness and their whining, so I hope this will be a healthy mix for me

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#133 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:49 pm

While I totally disagree with your assessment of his post-Tree of Life films, I do think that if those are your primary concerns, you'll find this more in line with your tastes.

I personally put it second only to The Thin Red Line in his filmography, and just ahead of To The Wonder and The New World.

dda1996a

#134 Post by dda1996a » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 pm

I do need to rewatch To the Wonder, and I was rather on good terms with Song to Song. But they lack everything that makes the former five films so perfect in my eyes, namely Men's search for meaning in relation to both nature and God. Which is why this does seem more exciting to me.