Greta (Neil Jordan, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lemmy Caution

Re: Greta (Neil Jordan, 2019)

#26 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Was underwhelmed by Greta.
This isn't a genre I'm much interested in though.
Found Huppert's accent distracting.
Thought Monroe as the friend was terrible, though partly due to the awful dialogue she was given.

My dvd kept freezing and skipped once or twice so I might have missed something especially in the first 30 minutes. I didn't understand why she would need so many pocketbooks. Why couldn't she just re-use the same one? Sure she might need a backup or two when one wasn't returned. But I didn't get the cabinet full of pocketbooks.

But the plot wasn't too tight and the characters fairly sketched in (especially the late detective).
The balance between restrained characters and over-the-top material didn't really work out. I did like when Huppert does her little dance of glee late in the film. The way that was filmed and the elevator scene were probably the most fun in the film for me. I did think the film looked great. The colors, lighting and compositions were handled really well. So I enjoyed looking at the film more than watching the film.

Reverend Drewcifer

#27 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Mixed bag, for sure (pun very much intended). I enjoy it much more as a stretching exercise for Jordan after a few years of inactivity. Returning to the dark modern fairytale might be what he needs to blow the dust off and move on to something much more substantial.

Fiery Angel

#28 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Except he's been flexing his muscles on these kinds of movies for years now

Reverend Drewcifer

#29 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:13 am

The older you get, the more difficult it is to get the blood moving.