The Hunt (Craig Zobel, 2020)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Hunt (Craig Zobel, 2020)

#76 Post by tenia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Which is why I also looked at MC user scores and they basically give the same results.

Re: Happy Death Day 1 and 2 : the MC user scores are only slightly higher (around 6.5), same goes for their IMDB scores (6.5 and 6.2), so it's not the critics.

Glowingwabbit

#77 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:28 pm

tenia wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Which is why I also looked at MC user scores and they basically give the same results.

Re: Happy Death Day 1 and 2 : the MC user scores are only slightly higher (around 6.5), same goes for their IMDB scores (6.5 and 6.2), so it's not the critics.
Interesting. Although I'd never give any credence to the user scores either haha

Nasir007

#78 Post by Nasir007 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 am
I guess you're right; even Jodie Foster has gone there with a movie like Elysium.

I'm a huge Swank fan and am sure she'll hit all the right notes with this one. I was also pleasantly surprised to see other recognizable actors like Madigan, Roberts, Hartley, and W. Duvall. So obviously they don't feel like this movie is beneath them if they accepted the roles. Maybe they were drawn to political statements intended by the script. Maybe they did need to pay their taxes like all of us.

And I'm not even downing the movie! I'm all for a nice fun gore-fest once in a while. I was simply surprised to see this is where Swank ended up.

Additionally, on IMDB she's slated for "Fatale" on October 9, 2020. Tag line is: "a married man is tricked into a murder scheme by a female police detective." Maybe she has broken bad!
I have heard the phrase "difficult to cast" with Swank before. Basically, she's not your traditional pretty Hollywood actress. She is pretty but in a more intriguing and arresting way.

Let's put it this way, her gifts are more specialized rather than the vanilla skillset across Hollywood. So when you do find the right role for her, she flourishes. But otherwise, she has too much individuality to pigeon hole her into traditional Hollywood roles. There are perhaps some other good actors like that in Hollywood. She's one of them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#79 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:28 pm
tenia wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Interesting. Although I'd never give any credence to the user scores either haha
I don't always, but I find those useful double checks on the critics scores.

Nasir007

#80 Post by Nasir007 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm

A defense of the movie from an unusual quarter.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#81 Post by tenia » Fri May 08, 2020 11:52 am

Just saw the movie, and it felt barely mediocre. There probably was some potential for something much better, but it would have certainly required more discipline to use it properly.

Gilpin is quite fun but the rest of the cast isn't at all, and the movie has huge pacing issues : past a rather energetic intro, the movie forgets to go forward in any fashion (which is unfortunate, considering its genre overall), too busy taking humpteen pot-shots at everything it can without any clear vision, while digressing as too many movies with this kind of pitch usually do. It resumes about 35 minutes later, only to come AGAIN to a halt roughly 10 minutes later before resuming 15 minutes for the final fight and get over with. That's quite a lot of halts and, in the end, not a lot of interesting stuff.

There isn't much to remember here, the movie piling up references to every possible contemporary "cliché" (snowflakes, conspiracy theories, elites, racial and gender issues, you name it) but barely doing anything with them except cramming as many as possible. Its final revelation further proves the movie's politics is pure Barnum/Forer effect : let's put everything we can in there and the viewers will interpret this however they want !

If it wasn't for Trump's Streisand effect last year, not many would have heard about the movie and it probably would have been pure Blumhouse canon-fodder. As it is, it's just a rather boring movie regarding action (falling into the usual issus of the genre, which is that it HAS to digress from the titular hunt to be able to fill those 90 minutes), a quite light one in terms of laughs (not many jokes, and many of them fall flat), and too much of a blurry mess in terms of politics to be anything close to convincing or even simply thought-provoking.