After (Jenny Gage, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
bottled spider

After (Jenny Gage, 2019)

#1 Post by bottled spider » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:03 pm

The magnetic, brooding rebel Hardin Scott is played by one "Hero Fiennes Tiffin". The rest of the cast also has obviously made up names: "Khadijha Red Thunder", "Pia Mia", "Inanna Sarkis", "Swen Temmel", "Jennifer Beals", "Meadow Williams". Probably too embarrassed to use their real ones.

Nevertheless, it has a higher rating than Cymbeline. That is where we are now as a society.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

Re: The Films of 2019

#2 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Don’t know about all of them, but at least Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is the actor’s real name - he has a Wikipedia page and played tween Voldemort in a Harry Potter movie

EDIT Literally none of these people used pseudonyms:

Khadija Red Thunder
Pia Mia
Innana Sarkis
Swen Twemel
Jennifer Beals
Meadow Williams
Last edited by Never Cursed on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

Re: The Films of 2019

#3 Post by Big Ben » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is Ralph Fiennes nephew. This appears to be his first starring...something?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: After (Jenny Gage, 2019)

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

This movie made $70 million in the US and yet I've never even heard of it

Never Cursed

#5 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:38 pm

It stayed at a big multiplex in DC this past spring for a looooooooong time. I was curious why it stuck around for such a while but I never ponied up to see it.

Big Ben

#6 Post by Big Ben » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm
I did some Googling and it's based off of a One Direction fan fiction off of a website called Wattpad. And before you all accuse me of being confused I assure you that I am telling the truth. It's literally based off of fan fiction and the One Direction fandom.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm

ITT: We are all so old

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#8 Post by soundchaser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm

That Wikipedia link Big Ben posted has some great character descriptions, though. The two girls other than the main character are defined only as "edgy" and by their hair color.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Gosh!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#10 Post by Brian C » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:31 pm

The “made-up names” bit was a (funny!) joke, I think - Jennifer Beals was a pretty big giveaway.

bottled spider

#11 Post by bottled spider » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Yes, 'twas a jest.

In the interest of fairness, I noticed that the same director made a documentary that's being spoken well of by a range of people on Letterboxd: All This Panic.

Never Cursed

#12 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Did you know the same company that distributed this also put out Serenity? I didn't until tonight, so I decided to watch a double feature of Serenity and After, and I'll be damned if this didn't edge out Serenity as the worse of the two and the worst film I've seen this year (though I hate Booksmart in a way that I don't hate this). The movie is devoid of any genuine or ironic pleasures or points of interest, incompetently made and populated by stock characters that show just how little the filmmakers understand about teenagers. This would be offensive enough at any time, but the film's naïveté about its subject matter is all the more laughable considering that it was released the same year as the infinitely better Euphoria, which even openly takes shots at One Direction fanfiction like the inspiration for this dross. That's really my opinion about After in a nutshell: watch Euphoria.
Last edited by Never Cursed on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am

Plus the worst crime of Serenity is that the distinction has to be made between Serenity (2005) and Serenity (2019) now!

I'm just lucky that I live in the UK where people have normal, relatable names like Benedict Cumberbatch and Tuppence Middleton. Though Hero Fiennes Tiffin does sound like a kind of wafer biscuit that one would have with one's mid-morning tea. (Though I type this uncomfortably aware that my last name is the same as the title character of a Charles Dickens novel, so I'm just as much of a stereotype myself!)

(The best name in the cast list is further down: Romulus Stoicescu is fantastic!)

This apparently already has a sequel in production for next year under a different director who did the first two Cruel Intentions films. That suggests this is going for a Twilight or Fifty Shades-style interchangeable director, only the book matters, releasing every year thing. There seem to be five books in the series, so this latest cinematic universe is going to take up half the decade.
Big Ben wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:41 pm
I did some Googling and it's based off of a One Direction fan fiction off of a website called Wattpad. And before you all accuse me of being confused I assure you that I am telling the truth. It's literally based off of fan fiction and the One Direction fandom.
I'm out.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#14 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am

Big Ben wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm
I actually skimmed through most of it a few months ago, and it is absolutely awful. But I also can't imagine making an appealling movie with it since the movie would possibly need to be rated higher than its core audience's age. Fortunately, there is so little sex and even less sensuality in it, PG13 looks ok.