El Conde (Pablo Larraín, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

El Conde (Pablo Larraín, 2023)

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:43 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Sigh, another completely accurate biopic--this guy just keeps making the same movie!

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:04 pm

Sounds great, but considering Larrain is perhaps our greatest director of women actively making movies, it's a shame to see him depart from that mode. Hopefully he finds a role for Mariana di Girolamo and slyly makes her the heroine

hearthesilence

#4 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:05 pm

I kind of wondered if he'd ever make a film with Pinochet himself as the central character...wouldn't have predicted this though!

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:46 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:04 pm
Sounds great, but considering Larrain is perhaps our greatest director of women actively making movies, it's a shame to see him depart from that mode. Hopefully he finds a role for Mariana di Girolamo and slyly makes her the heroine
There will always be a cameo from Margaret Thatcher to speculate about!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

El Conde (Pablo Larrain, 2023)

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:20 am

yoloswegmaster

#7 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:31 am

This will appear on Netflix on September 15.

Persona

Re: The Films of 2023

#8 Post by Persona » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:11 pm

Didn't like this one much. Conceptually interesting, I guess, but is it some unwritten rule that modern satires have to be so blatantly over-written and on-the-nose? If it is, this one doesn't have the entertainment value to pay it off.

Nice cinematography, though.

therewillbeblus

Re: The Films of 2023

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:21 pm

Yeah I felt similarly - it had enough juicy moments to be sparsely fun, but Larraín has a gift at gradually sobering an audience to facets of life and subjective experience we often obstruct into complexity as a defense, and so every project that isn't designed to delve deeply into a new humanist entry point with ferocious clarity feels like a wasted opportunity. I get that artists like to fool around too though

Mr Sausage

Re: El Conde (Pablo Larraín, 2023)

#10 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:46 am

Persona wrote: is it some unwritten rule that modern satires have to be so blatantly over-written and on-the-nose?
Compared to what?

knives

#11 Post by knives » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:32 pm

I’ll chime with agreement that this felt like a bust. The idea is too good not to have made it into a movie, but I don’t think Larrain had any solid ideas beyond that initial one resulting in fairly generic story beats to fill in the empty beats. The narration even makes fun of how generic the story is at one point.

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:32 pm

I caught this at a free screening at the Paris Theater. The highlight was having Ed Lachman there discussing his work. It felt like an event capitalizing on his Oscar nomination for the film since they really leaned in on that during the intro alone, and I got the feeling he was both flattered and a bit shy about being the center of attention. At one point he even implied that he didn't know if people really wanted to hear the specifics of his work even though he was more than happy to discuss them, but it was pretty great. Afterwards, I heard him mention to someone that his next film (again with Larrain, this time about Maria Callas with Angelina Jolie in the title role) may be his last feature due to his physical health issues. So I'm glad that I caught it on the big screen because of Lachman's work alone. Unfortunately that's all that I really liked about the film and I never grew to appreciate the concept which felt gimmicky and shallow without ever leading to anything truly insightful.