Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (Jake Kasdan, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
miless

#26 Post by miless » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 am

Joe Buck wrote:Okay...after seeing that....I mean, I was just saying it before, but now, I really mean it....THIS LOOKS LIKE THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE.
or: a conglomeration of IMDB's list of "GREATEST MOVIE(s) EVER MADE."

Antoine Doinel

#27 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 pm

John C. Reilly will be going on a concert tour in character to promote the film.

Joe Buck

#28 Post by Joe Buck » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 pm

Just when it seems like this thing can't get any cooler....hot dog! I hope the show comes to my neck of the woods. This is going to big the biggest phenomenon since Beatle-mania!

Oedipax

#29 Post by Oedipax » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:34 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:John C. Reilly will be going on a concert tour in character to promote the film.
If only it was Dr. Steve Brule instead!

Antoine Doinel

#30 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Cold Bishop

#31 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 pm

You know, the scene made me laugh, in its own dumb... Sure, it ain't Modern Times or Blazing Saddles, but as an unapologetic fan of Anchorman, here's hoping its more of that and less Talladega Nights.

Antoine Doinel

#32 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Pictures of Dewey Cox And The Hard Walkers Chicago gig.

oldsheperd

#33 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Dude, Steve Brule! Reilly's character on Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job! is great. Especially the newest clip with Steve Brule teaching a self-defense course.

patrick

#34 Post by patrick » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:39 pm

I love the John C. Reilly/Tim Meadows bit telling people to be quiet that's running at theaters right now.

Antoine Doinel

#35 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am

The backlash has begun.

rs98762001

#36 Post by rs98762001 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 am

And not a moment too soon.

Joe Buck

#37 Post by Joe Buck » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Expect a full, unbiased report on Walk Hard from yours truly. I'll be first in line Friday night, weather permitting. :)

Cold Bishop

#38 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:51 pm

No need to wait... It simply wasn't good. Like with all their films, there gonna be some good throwaway lines and moments, but beyond some of those, and the section with the Beatles which I found rather amusing, this just was lousy. Gone is the usually funny rapport that we found in Anchorman and the other films, which is what also allowed the films to rise above their rather ridiculous and one-note premises. In it's genre spoofing, it doesn't become much better than what you'd find in an Epic Movie. The few moments it does work is where the music geekness of the people involved actually comes through and goes places outside the usual suspects of biopic targets, but these are few too few and between (the Beatles section, an attempt at a Smile-esque Brian Wilson-style masterpiece, a Disco rendition of "Starman", too name a few) Other than that, it's a hit and miss affair with the misses far outnumbering the hits, and even when they do hit, who cares? There are far better things you could be doing with your 90 minutes.

Joe Buck

#39 Post by Joe Buck » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Well, I don't know what movie you saw. The one I saw was crap in your pants funny. People were rolling in the isles. It was hilarious, all the way through, but also had a terrific cast, great makeup work, amazingly clever songs, and full frontal nudity.

People, don't believe the naysayers. This is the best film of 2007....well, second best after Zodiac. Yeah, I said it. You won't be sorry. It's a very well crafted and intelligently made film.

One thing, though.....we never see Dewey give Patrick Duffy a beating like what was shown in the trailer. Guess there's gonna be some sweet ass deleted scenes on the DVD......

Jeff

#40 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:41 pm

Joe Buck wrote:People were rolling in the isles.
Which isles? British? :wink:

If you mean they are rolling in the aisles of their local theater, they should have plenty of room to do so. This thing debuted in eighth(!) place this week. It will only make 4.5 mil. this weekend. It will be gone by the new year. I'm not normally particularly interested in box office takes, since they are generally inversely proportionate to quality, but this is strikingly bad. It marks the end of Apatow's hot streak.

Barmy

#41 Post by Barmy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Joe B, you're nucking futs.

I went to this because it was playing 4 blocks away and I was in the mood for a short popcorn film. The Apatow connection was the primary appeal.

There were maybe 20 people in the audience. Two big-haired Jersey broads laughed loudly at the first coupla jokes but then became oddly silent--perhaps they'd had a few too many Coronas before the show.

The film is not even remotely raunchy, unless you consider the much-cited wiener raunchy. But beyond that there is minimal "language", no sex, and some bland, trite racial and drug "humor". The humor is way overbroad--SNL type stuff. It does not rise above any of the other recent parody movies. I was hoping for something in the vein of the first 2 Scary Movies (yep, I liked those) but, again, the humor is extremely mild.

The fat dude from Superbad was awful. The Jewish schtick was DOA--naming people Dreidel and Mazel Tov is funny? I could go on, but as Samuel Beckett once said, I can't.

I don't regret seeing it as door to door it took 2 hours out of an otherwise stressful day.
Last edited by Barmy on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm

No offense Joe Buck but I'm never going to take movie advice from anyone who uses "sweet ass" as a descriptor.

Joe Buck

#43 Post by Joe Buck » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Yeah, I sensed using "sweet-ass" would damage my credibility. I was trying to be funny.

I admit, at this particular theater I was in, many seats were empty, which I feel is unfortunate, because I honestly do think it was a good film. I'm not someone who pays money to see Scary Movie or other such spoof type films. I wouldn't group this with such films. I swear this film is high entertainment. I'm not a Transformer fan. I have taste. Please believe me. My favorite movie is Midnight Cowboy. I watched Black Narcissus for the 23rd time this morning. Please, someone get my back on this.

chaddoli

#44 Post by chaddoli » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:26 pm

I thought it was funny as well. Certainly not one of the best films of the year, but I had a good time. I really enjoyed the clever send-ups of the bullshit biopic, because I think those films really deserve a lashing and Walk Hard did so strikingly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:11 pm

I'll be honest, it does look better than my initial impression, but I still will just wait to be shown this by people who loves these Apatow movies and insist on screening them at every function.

Polybius

#46 Post by Polybius » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Jeff wrote:This thing debuted in eighth(!) place this week. It will only make 4.5 mil. this weekend. It will be gone by the new year. I'm not normally particularly interested in box office takes, since they are generally inversely proportionate to quality, but this is strikingly bad. It marks the end of Apatow's hot streak.
Mirable dictu!

I just may have to watch the Christmas Mass on NBC this year in order to properly demonstrate my gratitude.

GoldenPilgrim

#47 Post by GoldenPilgrim » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:12 am

Ouch. I had been looking forward to this for so long, but by the time I finally got to see it, all of the jokes had gone stale (all the jokes you see in the trailer are all that you get). Like someone more or less stated earlier, the whole thing feels like one bad drawn out SNL sketch. I did manage to smirk a few times, and I don't think any of the actors did a particularly bad job (I still love John C. Reilly), but Walk Hard just plain sucks.
I got to the theatre early to beat the crowd, but once the movie started there were only five or so other people, and no one was rolling in the aisles, they only found the Cox/Cocks jokes and the early, "reefer," scene funny, in fact there was about a 30 minute block of no laughter.

I wanted so bad to enjoy this movie, Oh the disappointment.

Antoine Doinel

#48 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:12 pm

GoldenPilgrim wrote:I wanted so bad to enjoy this movie, Oh the disappointment.
I had the same reaction. This film feels like a bunch of random skits cobbled together and most of the funny bits are in the trailer. It's disappointing that such an amazing cast was wasted on such a painfully unfunny film.

If anything positive comes out of the film's dismal box office performance, it will be that studios won't randomly greenlight whatever idea Apatow has scribbled on a napkin. As 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up have shown, he is capable of writing cohesive, hilarious films. This one was all over the place and as the closing montage/song showed, there is an unbelievably huge amount of deleted material. It seems like they just shot a bunch of footage and pasted it together in the editing room.

This would've worked better as a skit on Funny Or Die not a full length film.

Andre Jurieu

#49 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:34 am

Joe Buck wrote: One thing, though.....we never see Dewey give Patrick Duffy a beating like what was shown in the trailer.
Antoine Doinel wrote:... and most of the funny bits are in the trailer.
Considering how labored this film feels at times, I can't believe how much of the stuff from the trailer was left out of the film. Cheryl Tiegs never shows up as Dewey's 3rd wife, Dewey doesn't mis-pronounce Eddie Vedder's name, we don't get to see the commercial for Cox sausage, and Patrick Duffy never takes a beating. That last one is the most heinous omission of them all. How can you honestly feel good about making a movie that robs people of the opportunity to watch Patrick Duffy take a beating after having promoted the hell out of the film by using clips of that scene? It would be like the Harold & Kumar sequel not including any of their NPH footage and it's just as disappointing as the omission of Jim Breuer sacking himself while jumping over a parking meter in Half Baked.

Antoine Doinel

#50 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:50 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:
Joe Buck wrote: One thing, though.....we never see Dewey give Patrick Duffy a beating like what was shown in the trailer.
Antoine Doinel wrote:... and most of the funny bits are in the trailer.
Considering how labored this film feels at times, I can't believe how much of the stuff from the trailer was left out of the film. Cheryl Tiegs never shows up as Dewey's 3rd wife, Dewey doesn't mis-pronounce Eddie Vedder's name, we don't get to see the commercial for Cox sausage, and Patrick Duffy never takes a beating. That last one is the most heinous omission of them all. How can you honestly feel good about making a movie that robs people of the opportunity to watch Patrick Duffy take a beating after having promoted the hell out of the film by using clips of that scene? It would be like the Harold & Kumar sequel not including any of their NPH footage and it's just as disappointing as the omission of Jim Breuer sacking himself while jumping over a parking meter in Half Baked.
Yeah, the footage that was in the trailer and left out of the film was a big loss. It only adds to my theory that they just shot a bunch of stuff and hastily edited it together. And given the haphazard nature of it, it seems they were under a time crunch as well. I guess it will all show up on the inevitable Walk Hard: Uncut, Longer And Harder Edition.