Awards Season 2022

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Awards Season 2022

#451 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:54 am

feihong wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:58 pm
Can I stake out the territory that the film just didn't sustain my interest? I liked all the actors better than the film itself, and I'm very glad to see them winning their awards. I thought the film was exhausting, but I'd hardly call it one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Yeah, this was pretty much my reaction too. I'm happy for everyone involved and I'm very happy it's given a lot more opportunities to Asians, particularly the veterans who were often marginalized during their time in Hollywood, but I really wish the film itself was better all-around. A lot of silliness that wasn't to my taste, but the best ideas which gave it some much-welcome weight really only scratched the surface - it was all the more disappointing that they all led to the kind of thin Hallmark conclusions I'd expect from much-less adventurous work. But I wasn't expecting that side of the film at all when I saw it - you could do much worse for a Best Picture winner, and the Academy has many times over.

Also, I skipped out on this year's broadcast - just didn't have much desire to watch it and when time came, I just had other things I needed to finish before tomorrow. Glad this thread was very active, it sounds like I didn't miss anything worth seeing.

therewillbeblus

#452 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:29 am

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that when winners were announced for supporting actress and actress categories, the other main competitors scowled, stayed still instead of clapping, and didn’t fake a smiley congrats? I know there’s been some beef with Yeoh and Blanchett but I still expected her to clap and fake it- she seemed to look down and away. Bassett and Condon also didn’t seem to move and looked pissed, staring straight ahead, while the other two smiled and clapped. I guess that’s an honest reaction, and I can’t really fault them for it, but I also can’t remember this really happening (I feel like I’ve always been transfixed on the other frontrunning loser’s disposition when the winner is announced for acting/directing categories since I was a kid, never the winner until they cut away to the walk up) outside of Denzel losing to Casey Affleck, though I’m sure it’s happened. Twice in one night seems excessive though

Aunt Peg

#453 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:55 am

Every year the Academ'ys In Memoriam has a major omission or two but they really outdid themselves this year. People I noticed missing (and I'm sure there are others and I am keeping in mind that you can't include everybody, hence I understand why Alain Tanner or Michel Deville weren't included partly because beyond film buffs there aren't known and haven't made anything within the orbit of the Academy) but no Carlos Saura, David Warner, Fred Ward, Melinda Dillion, Anne Heche, Stella Stevens.

They need to split it into two segments over the night so they can include more people or simply do away with it. I think this year was beyond embarrassing.

Aunt Peg

#454 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:15 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:29 am
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that when winners were announced for supporting actress and actress categories, the other main competitors scowled, stayed still instead of clapping, and didn’t fake a smiley congrats? I know there’s been some beef with Yeoh and Blanchett but I still expected her to clap and fake it- she seemed to look down and away. Bassett and Condon also didn’t seem to move and looked pissed, staring straight ahead, while the other two smiled and clapped. I guess that’s an honest reaction, and I can’t really fault them for it, but I also can’t remember this really happening (I feel like I’ve always been transfixed on the other frontrunning loser’s disposition when the winner is announced for acting/directing categories since I was a kid, never the winner until they cut away to the walk up) outside of Denzel losing to Casey Affleck, though I’m sure it’s happened. Twice in one night seems excessive though
Angela Bassett remained stone faced and didn't applaud (from what I could tell). Kerry Condon seems to utter WOW and then started applauded just at the cameras switched from the nominee reaction shots.

I've only watched the lead actress reactions once and Blanchett appeared a little shocked but then applauded and I understand stood up for the standing ovation.

Clips usually start to appear on YouTube so that's the place to go the observe reactions and most of the clips for older telecasts are there to view. The supporting actress reactions are currently up on YouTube but the lead actress reactions don't seem to be there at the moment.

FrauBlucher

#455 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:17 am

I didn’t watch the Oscars last night (I never do). I read that they left out Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche from the In Memoriam. That’s plain awful and major league incompetence

felipe

#456 Post by felipe » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:08 am

Kracker wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:33 pm
For all the complaints about bits and schtick, this was a brisk Oscars and they kept things moving. Only running a half hour over.
I for one thought it seemed like they couldn't wait to get it over with, just one award after the other and nothing really memorable in between. I kind of miss the spectacle. And I'll take a trainwreck that at least bothers to put in some effort over a boring unremarkable 3 and a half hours ceremony.
It's like they stopped trying. They're not even trying to create interesting ways to introduce the nominees anymore. Some categories didn't have clips of the nominees at all and Best Director was simply a still picture slideshow.

MV88

#457 Post by MV88 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:20 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Just a few past examples of nominees who were purported to be visibly disappointed or upset when they didn’t win include Lena Olin in 1989, Samuel L. Jackson in 1994, Lauren Bacall in 1996, Bill Murray in 2003, and Eddie Murphy in 2006. Of course, none of those reactions compare to how about a quarter of the audience reacted when Elia Kazan won the Honorary Oscar, but that’s surely a different situation altogether.

Feego

#458 Post by Feego » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:48 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
I didn't watch the show, but I just checked these out on YouTube. Condon looked surprised but she definitely smiled and applauded, as did Blanchett, but perhaps in a more reserved way. Bassett did indeed looked pissed. If you look at some of the Oscar videos from the 70s, you will see a lot more "genuine" reactions like these from the losers. My favorite is Ellen Burstyn's absolutely dumbfounded reaction when Glenda Jackson won in 1974. Talia Shire and Liv Ullmann also look rather unimpressed by Faye Dunaway's victory in 1977. And when Francis Ford Coppola won the Best Picture Oscar for The Godfather Part II, the other producers look like they are headed for a firing squad.

beamish14

#459 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 am

MV88 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:20 am
therewillbeblus wrote:
Just a few past examples of nominees who were purported to be visibly disappointed or upset when they didn’t win include Lena Olin in 1989, Samuel L. Jackson in 1994, Lauren Bacall in 1996, Bill Murray in 2003, and Eddie Murphy in 2006. Of course, none of those reactions compare to how about a quarter of the audience reacted when Elia Kazan won the Honorary Oscar, but that’s surely a different situation altogether.

Even Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese looked like they wanted to hide behind a curtain after presenting Kazan with his award. I’ll never forget that one; there was the faction that sat down and clapped while glaring (Spielberg), those who rapturously stood up and applauded (I definitely remember Kathy Bates, and I think Ed Harris did, too), and there was the rest. I still wonder who screamed an insult at Kazan when he started to talk.

Aunt Peg

#460 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am

Ed Harris & Amy Madigan remained seated, with the arms crossed looking very angry.

bearcuborg

#461 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:40 am

Ditto Nick Nolte, and his then girlfriend, Vicki Lewis in all her 90s beauty.

beamish14

#462 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am
Ed Harris & Amy Madigan remained seated, with the arms crossed looking very angry.

Ah, that’s why he came to mind. I knew he’d made an impression while they cut to various audience members

flyonthewall2983

#463 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 am

Russell Crowe did not look happy when Denzel won for Training Day

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#464 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 am

I realized last night that I’d forgotten to do the formulas for scoring the winners of the prediction competition, and I’m running around today, so final results later this evening (though just the eyeball test is looking good for MV88)

MV88

#465 Post by MV88 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:02 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 am
I realized last night that I’d forgotten to do the formulas for scoring the winners of the prediction competition, and I’m running around today, so final results later this evening (though just the eyeball test is looking good for MV88)

4 of the 5 categories I got wrong were ones I had predicted Elvis to win, so if I don't end up winning this competition, it will be because I severely overestimated how much the Academy would like that movie. I knew Actor and Makeup/Hairstyling would be a package deal this year, so as soon as The Whale won the latter category early in the night, it dawned on me that I had made a mistake in predicting Elvis to win that much (or anything at all, it turns out).

colinr0380

#466 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:55 am
Every year the Academ'ys In Memoriam has a major omission or two but they really outdid themselves this year. People I noticed missing (and I'm sure there are others and I am keeping in mind that you can't include everybody, hence I understand why Alain Tanner or Michel Deville weren't included partly because beyond film buffs there aren't known and haven't made anything within the orbit of the Academy) but no Carlos Saura, David Warner, Fred Ward, Melinda Dillion, Anne Heche, Stella Stevens.

They need to split it into two segments over the night so they can include more people or simply do away with it. I think this year was beyond embarrassing.
Not to mention no Hugh Hudson either, who actually directed the Best Picture Academy Award winning film of its year which would have seemed to make his inclusion mandatory in the Academy Awards "In Memoriam" segment. Maybe the long shadow of Revolution had something to do with precluding his inclusion (and maybe they felt they had Chariots of Fire covered with the Vangelis slide, since he won the Oscar for Original Score for that film), but that seems a particularly egregious oversight.

(And you could argue that it was too late to add him because he passed away on 10th February if not for Raquel Welch being in there, who passed away on the 15th!)

Walter Kurtz

#467 Post by Walter Kurtz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 pm

This town.

Twenty years from now people will be stunned Butler didn't win for Elvis. And Everything? It's a Marvel movie for people who pretend not to like Marvel movies.

I guess they're popular, though.

beamish14

#468 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Walter Kurtz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 pm

Twenty years from now people will be stunned Butler didn't win for Elvis.

I’m not convinced that we’ll be talking about him much, period. I’m definitely getting George Chakiris vibes

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#469 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:21 pm

I think it has been at least 35 years since I last watched one of these. Nothing I've seen about this year's event makes me think I am missing anything essential. ;-)

Walter Kurtz

#470 Post by Walter Kurtz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:35 pm

Hanks on Fraser: "What? He had a better fat-suit?"

pianocrash

#471 Post by pianocrash » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:25 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm
Walter Kurtz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 pm

Twenty years from now people will be stunned Butler didn't win for Elvis.

I’m not convinced that we’ll be talking about him much, period. I’m definitely getting George Chakiris vibes
Is the inverse of a everything bagel a donut? Because if so
SpoilerShow

hearthesilence

#472 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:12 pm

bearcuborg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:40 am
Nolte brought this up years later - he claims this is why Scorsese refused to cast him in any more of his films.

therewillbeblus

#473 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:58 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:12 pm
bearcuborg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:40 am
Nolte brought this up years later - he claims this is why Scorsese refused to cast him in any more of his films.
Nobody wrote:I'll take Nolte's word for it!

Aunt Peg

#474 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:25 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 am
Aunt Peg wrote:

Not to mention no Hugh Hudson either, who actually directed the Best Picture Academy Award winning film of its year which would have seemed to make his inclusion mandatory in the Academy Awards "In Memoriam" segment. Maybe the long shadow of Revolution had something to do with precluding his inclusion (and maybe they felt they had Chariots of Fire covered with the Vangelis slide, since he won the Oscar for Original Score for that film), but that seems a particularly egregious oversight.

(And you could argue that it was too late to add him because he passed away on 10th February if not for Raquel Welch being in there, who passed away on the 15th!)
I forgot Hugh Hudson - another glaring omission.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#475 Post by lacritfan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:24 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:25 pm
colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 am
Aunt Peg wrote:

I forgot Hugh Hudson - another glaring omission.
PTA must be pissed they forgot Philip Baker Hall (in addition to Melinda Dillon)