Awards Season 2021

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Awards Season 2021

#726 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:48 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm
Brian C wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:29 pm
I thought his performance in King Richard was one of the worst award-winning performances I've ever seen in my life, but I'd be very much opposed to taking the award away. I don't know if that's really on the table or not, but however much of an asshat he is, he actually did win that award and pretending otherwise is pure revisionism.
Agree completely. The award's the award, and you're giving the voice to fools comparing this to Polanski or Weinstein still having their prizes. You can't possibly take the award away, and it's not worth the effort even if you wanted to.

HTS: Really not meaning to leap on your every post, I think we're just on the same timer tonight
No worries man. Usually when an award gets rescinded, it's because of an offense tied to the achievement, like they had positive drug test or they failed to credit someone or falsified their research. Honorary degrees are also a whole other thing, but the idea of taking away an Oscar because someone was awful or did something wrong, regardless of the severity, never seemed realistic to me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#727 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:55 pm

CriterionPhreak wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:46 pm
I wonder what the security protocol of an Oscar ceremony is. I suppose every live show or sporting event has one. If someone from the audience storms onto the field in a football game we know what's going to happen. A few years ago on Dancing with the Stars (a primetime live TV show) an audience member jumped on to the stage and he was immediately football-tackled by the security guards (video here).
I think the problem is that the producers of the ceremony legitimately never anticipated a star, much less a nominee and presumed soon to be winner, would ever do such a thing. I’m sure every awards ceremony worldwide is considering it now, though!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#728 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm
Pedro Almodovar on the incident
I have deliberately avoided the violent episode that is the only thing talked about the next day. I was barely four meters from where it happened. In the general overhead shots, I am the little white head you see in the photo.

I refuse to let that episode mark the gala and be the protagonist of a ceremony where many more things happened and of much greater interest. For example, “Drive My Car,” without a doubt my favorite film of the year, won Best International Feature Film. And also “Summer of Soul,” my favorite documentary.

Still, as I said, I was very close to the protagonists. What I saw and heard produced a feeling of absolute rejection in me. Not only during the episode, but afterward, too, in the acceptance speech — a speech that seemed more like that of a cult leader. You don’t defend or protect the family with your fists, and no, the devil doesn’t take advantage of key moments to do his work.

The devil, in fact, doesn’t exist. It is a fundamentalist speech that we should neither hear nor see. Some claim that this was the only real moment in the ceremony, but they are talking about the faceless monster that is the social media. For them, avid for carrion, it undoubtedly was the great moment of the night.
The most spot-on reflection I’ve read thus far

vsski

#729 Post by vsski » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm
Pedro Almodovar on the incident
I have deliberately avoided the violent episode that is the only thing talked about the next day. I was barely four meters from where it happened. In the general overhead shots, I am the little white head you see in the photo.

I refuse to let that episode mark the gala and be the protagonist of a ceremony where many more things happened and of much greater interest. For example, “Drive My Car,” without a doubt my favorite film of the year, won Best International Feature Film. And also “Summer of Soul,” my favorite documentary.

Still, as I said, I was very close to the protagonists. What I saw and heard produced a feeling of absolute rejection in me. Not only during the episode, but afterward, too, in the acceptance speech — a speech that seemed more like that of a cult leader. You don’t defend or protect the family with your fists, and no, the devil doesn’t take advantage of key moments to do his work.

The devil, in fact, doesn’t exist. It is a fundamentalist speech that we should neither hear nor see. Some claim that this was the only real moment in the ceremony, but they are talking about the faceless monster that is the social media. For them, avid for carrion, it undoubtedly was the great moment of the night.
Thanks for the link and kudos to Pedro Almodovar, very very well said!

vsski

#730 Post by vsski » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:48 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm
Brian C wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:29 pm
I thought his performance in King Richard was one of the worst award-winning performances I've ever seen in my life, but I'd be very much opposed to taking the award away. I don't know if that's really on the table or not, but however much of an asshat he is, he actually did win that award and pretending otherwise is pure revisionism.
Agree completely. The award's the award, and you're giving the voice to fools comparing this to Polanski or Weinstein still having their prizes. You can't possibly take the award away, and it's not worth the effort even if you wanted to.

HTS: Really not meaning to leap on your every post, I think we're just on the same timer tonight
No worries man. Usually when an award gets rescinded, it's because of an offense tied to the achievement, like they had positive drug test or they failed to credit someone or falsified their research. Honorary degrees are also a whole other thing, but the idea of taking away an Oscar because someone was awful or did something wrong, regardless of the severity, never seemed realistic to me.
While I can’t imagine that his Oscar will be taken away nor do I think it makes much sense, I do truly hope that it has repercussions that go beyond a symbolic gesture which in the end has no impact. I’m less concerned about the Academy’s actions, as they would be largely symbolic at this point - they missed their opportunity to forcefully evict him when they had the chance.

What I do hope is that it has negative implications on his future career, but given how money oriented this business has become, it’s unlikely to happen. At the moment everyone is trying to protect their financial investment in Smith and I’m sure some are scheming how to best profit from it already.

FrauBlucher

#731 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:09 pm

CriterionPhreak

#732 Post by CriterionPhreak » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:37 pm

The quote by Almodovar touches on lots of topics. But I think Denzel Washington's comment about the devil has some validity to it, in the sense that success can corrupt a person and release his inner demons. That's how I would interpret his remark to Will Smith. In fact, I might even live by those words. When I achieve any success, I'll remind myself not to get carried away or feel invulnerable enough to do outrageous things and think I can get away with it. That's not bad advice at all, my friends.

Fiery Angel

#733 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:44 pm

Photos, but no clip

FrauBlucher

#734 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:52 pm

It's there. It just played for me. It's at the top.

Finch

#735 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:55 pm

Smith surely has powerful friends in the Academy as well as at least several members who were sympathetic from the moment he assaulted Rock. Some members who were outraged on Sunday seem to have been satisfied by his apology Monday night. If the Academy is split along similar lines to the general public, I figure we're talking about at least a third of Academy members who didn't see anything wrong with the slap in the first place and who will be a vocal minority arguing his current apology is sufficient. A lifetime ban is surely as unlikely as revoking his award. Who knows what timescale they are looking at for punishing him.. Even taking into account that his slavery picture could be a big player at next year's ceremony (even if he wasn't nominated for acting, he still has a producer credit although the other production companies might insist on having his name removed, as it happened with Scott Rudin), a one year suspension would feel a bit lacking if that is what they decide to impose.

Kracker

#736 Post by Kracker » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:07 pm

Just several years ago, Spike Lee was asked to leave and left the ceremony for throwing a fit because Green Book won.

Between him refusing to do the same and them not being able to rescind the Oscar so don't see them going easy on him in the ways they have remaining to punish him, which would be expulsion and banning the Smiths from future ceremonies as well as all but shutting out his chances for future nomination considerations, which people would cry as prejudice but it would not be without warrant. Pointing out that banning future Oscar appearances is like taking away a passport for a year just makes them more comfortable in doing it as well as reprimanding him in additional ways to make the punishment as satisfactory as possible.
He might have powerful friends but he marred their ceremony and balked at their authority. They are going to have a hard time getting comedians to present or host if they think the Academy allows open season on anyone who happens to rub someone in the audience the wrong way, especially when they need those celebrities to attract viewers when its ratings are dwindling.

i also took Denzel's comment as the devil as being the representation of one's own hubris, which is usually is the cause of one's own undoing.
Last edited by Kracker on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Finch

#737 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 pm

Kracker wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:07 pm
They are going to have a hard time having comedians present or host if they think the Academy allows open season on anyone who happens to rub someone in the audience the wrong way, especially when they need those celebrities to attract viewers when its ratings are dwindling.
That's a very good point. One of the trades was reporting that they allegedly spoke to 40+ (!) individuals before they were able to settle on Sykes, Schumer and Hall. Post-Smith you could see that figure doubling!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#738 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:36 pm

I guess that to me, just giving him a 2-year ban attending the Oscars seems pretty fair. If he'd left when they asked him to leave, then that + next year would have been about right. But since he didn't, add a second year.

It was a bad thing for him to do, but not so bad that he should be punished for, like, forever or anything. I mean, if this had been just a couple of non-celebrities in a bar on a regular Friday night, no one would think it was all that big of a deal if all that happened was a guy got slapped and they yelled at each other for a minute and then it was over and everyone went about their business. It's horse's-ass behavior but some sense of proportionality seems appropriate here.

Kracker

#739 Post by Kracker » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:55 pm

That's what the Academy is weighing but people are pointing out that a very temporary ban from a very occasional event is rather inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. If so, then a lifetime ban would very much be on the table. They can always lift it in the future. Will thought he could get away with this without much consequence so they have to have a punishment that sends a message that no one celebrity owns their house where they can do as they please.

If it was at a bar, it wouldn't be a thing at all but this was in their theater at their ceremony on Live TV under set rules of conduct. People have been fired or banned from SNL for dropping the F-bomb Will dropped twice. And on Hollywood's biggest night in front of the whole world. They're not going to give him a speeding ticket.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#740 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 am

His punishment should be continuing to star in only middling films for the rest of his life

vsski

#741 Post by vsski » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:03 am

While I don’t think anyone is asking for his head on a stick, I also believe one should look at the chain of events. There was the assault, the contrived (at least to me) acceptance speech trying to justify what happened without a single word of apology to Rock, then all smiles in the back room and partying all night like nothing ever happened. And finally when the heat is turned on, a public apology, which given everything preceding still doesn’t feel genuine to me.
So when I look at that, I do believe more should be done than a lame suspension of attending the ceremony or no longer being able to vote for yourself for a few years. They expelled folks for sending out screeners in the past.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#742 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:03 am

One aspect that hasn’t been discussed as much is SAG-AFTRA’s apparent strong objections to what happened— note how the Academy instantly changed its tone once they got involved. There is a non-zero chance that they could forbid any members from attending the Oscars for safety reasons, which would be disastrous (as in ceremony-ending) for the Academy. If anything gives me hope that Smith will actually face consequences for his actions, it’s this.

vsski

#743 Post by vsski » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:06 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 am
His punishment should be continuing to star in only middling films for the rest of his life
Lol - given his “talent” I’m not sure he’d be able to do more even if he wanted to.

Kracker

#744 Post by Kracker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:17 am

vsski wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:06 am
swo17 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 am
Lol - given his “talent” I’m not sure he’d be able to do more even if he wanted to.
Ten years of M. Night projects *gavel slams*

I don't think we can blame WIll for wanting to continue on with the night as if nothing had happened, just as everyone else including Rock wanted to. Will had soiled everyone's big night enough. His apology may have come at the realization of the full consequences of his actions but they were still an accurate review of his actions. But his apology and his tearful plea of "I hope the Academy has me back" doesn't guarantee, demand, or expect leniency. And if he's genuine, he would agree.

flyonthewall2983

#745 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:29 am

Wonder how this will affect things with the projects he has in the pipeline or currently out now. The Fresh Prince reboot was destined to be dead in the water gathering from its frosty if not a little humorous reaction online. The news just broke before all this about an I Am Legend sequel, but I can imagine Warners having cold feet now. Hell, on HBOMax’s IG yesterday they put up a promo for King Richard and the comments can speak for themselves. I’m almost anxious to see Bill Maher get in hot water over this Friday, if he goes on a rant about it and finally pisses off HBO.

On the flip side at least this will move some more copies of Will’s book.

Kracker

#746 Post by Kracker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:45 am

yeah it's not going to go that far. Companies can refuse to work with Will if they feel he's too difficult and genuinely not worth it but its not going there.

And i don't see Bill Maher topping that time he said the N-word. His rant will mostly likely involve his continual critique over how woke liberals go to war over the slightest infractions and the Smith debacle being indicative.

hearthesilence

#747 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:53 am

Bill Maher already weighed in - he called Smith's actions "cancel culture encapsulated."

At this point I feel like everyone's weighed in - even O.J. Simpson for crying out loud.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#748 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:58 am

And the real “King Richard,” who rebutted Smith’s attempts at parallel comparisons from his speech with “We don’t condone anyone hitting anyone else”

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#749 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:01 am

What about Sam Elliott?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#750 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:02 am

Will Smith didn’t wear chaps, so he’s good