New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Cremildo

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#426 Post by Cremildo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Behn Zeitlin's Wendy will be released on February 28. Pics and an official synopsis in the link.

Mr Sausage

#430 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:21 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#431 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 pm

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#433 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Big Ben

#434 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Looking forward to this. I love Blue Ruin and Green Room but Hold the Dark was...well it just was. I hope this is a return to form.

Cremildo

#435 Post by Cremildo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Adam McKay's next is the dark satire Don't Look Up, about "Two mid-level astronomers [who] discover a meteorite will destroy earth in six months and must go on a media tour to warn mankind."

Big Ben

#440 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:35 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#441 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:36 pm

DarkImbecile

#442 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Adam X

Re: New Films in (Pre-)Production, v.2

#443 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 am

I was surprised to find that there isn't a Hal Hartley thread, so I guess I'll post this here, rather than getting buried in the crowd-funding thread.

Currently running a Kickstarter campaign (over the xmas period seems a little risky, but when's a good time to fund a film I guess) for what will hopefully end up being his first feature-length film since Ned Rifle, Hartley's just posted one in a series of short video interviews, this time turning the camera on himself. Here, talking less about the film in question, Where to Land, and more about his filmmaking process over the years, and how it's maybe changed in recent times. Given the cast involved, it has a lot of potential.

Adam X

Re: New Films in (Pre-)Production, v.2

#444 Post by Adam X » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:48 am

Hal Hartley sent an email yesterday that adds a bittersweet note to what, sadly, is currently looking like a failed crowd-funding effort.
Where To Land is likely to be my last independently financed film. Times change, technology changes, tastes change. There are no longer many avenues open to filmmakers who want to support themselves by their craft and whose interests are outside the corporately manufactured and heavily mass marketed mainstream entertainment models (some of which I quite enjoy, by the way).

But my interests have always been elsewhere. And I have been lucky enough to connect with a sizable audience around the world, like you, who share those interests.

This Kickstarter crowdsourcing service has allowed me, late in my career, to make new work (Ned Rifle, 2014) and restore my old work (The Henry Fool Trilogy, The Long Island Trilogy, Surviving Desire & Company), making it available for the first time in years, subtitled in five languages.

This is an actual alternative to the corporate model described above. And I’m eager to give it one more solid shot and produce something well-made and meaningful on its own terms before rolling up my sleeves and figuring out what to do with the rest of my life.

If you haven’t already, please consider backing my Kickstarter for Where To Land and help me spread the word to people who, for instance, might like to receive credit as Executive or Associate Producer of a legitimate feature length motion picture likely to gain significant worldwide attention.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’ve always made movies so I could share what I loved about the world around me with the people around me—and, also to express what I feared losing in that world.

Where To Land gets closer to this than anything I’ve ever done.

dda1996a

#445 Post by dda1996a » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:20 am

It is sad, especially as someone who backed this and the last Kickstarter he had, and I hope some unknown force (or a very rich person) comes and chips in for the film to be funded.
Those words of his are kind of scary for a current film student though...

DarkImbecile

#447 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Melanie Laurent to write and direct The Mad Woman's Ball, an intriguing-sounding period thriller:
The story of “The Mad Women’s Ball” takes place at the end of the 19th century in Paris, at a time when women deemed too rebellious or difficult were frequently labeled as insane and institutionalized. The action unfolds at the Salpêtrière hospital where these women diagnosed with different kinds of nervous system disorders were confined and put under the supervision of neurologists such as Jean-Martin Charcot. Each year, a prestigious ball was organized with the patients and attracted the Parisian elite; it was a place to see and be seen.

[Producer Alain] Goldman said “The Mad Women’s Ball” will be lushly lensed and have a sophisticated visual style to reflect the 19th’s aesthetic. The producer cited “Eyes Wide Shut” as an inspiration for the film’s tone and atmosphere, weaving thriller and mystery.

“The Mad Women’s Ball” is currently in development and Laurent will soon be starting to write the adaptation. The film might shoot in French or English.

Finch

#448 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#449 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:10 pm