Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#26 Post by ando » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Colin might appreciate this - it looks like many of the BBC (Ambrose Video) produced Shakespeare productions from the 70s are available on kanopy - at least through the NYPL catalogue. Made my night to see my favorite production in the series, Measure For Measure ('79), available for streaming! Very nice resource.

colinr0380

#27 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:51 am

That is good news! Anything that can get around that issue of that enormous box of the BBC Shakespeare adaptations looking a bit intimidating to the casual viewer (in a "you must watch all or none of them!" kind of way!) and make the plays more accessible can only be a good thing! I remember the (even bigger) VHS version of the set being ubiquitous in the school library during my schooldays too, so it seems like its the obvious choice for a service mainly focused on educational institutions and the material that they need.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#28 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 am

BPL doesnt have this -- but it does have this:
Theatre in Video: Volume I contains hundreds of videos, including documentaries and definitive performances of the world’s most important plays. From celebrated productions of Shakespeare to rare, in-depth footage of the work of Samuel Beckett, the collection covers a wide range of 20th century theatre history. Interviews with directors, designers, writers, and actors, along with excerpts of live performances deliver an authentic, behind-the-scenes look at hundreds of productions.
I would note that the French Moliere productions don't seem to have subtitles...

dx23

#29 Post by dx23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Fox, Disney, WB, Universal and Sony have come together and created the Movies Anywhere digital platform, based on the soon-ending Disney Anywhere app/system. So far, it's connecting purchases from iTunes, Amazon, Disney, Google Play and Vudu and putting the libraries in one place.

movielocke

Streaming Services

#30 Post by movielocke » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 pm

dx23 wrote:Fox, Disney, WB, Universal and Sony have come together and created the Movies Anywhere digital platform, based on the soon-ending Disney Anywhere app/system. So far, it's connecting purchases from iTunes, Amazon, Disney, Google Play and Vudu and putting the libraries in one place.
pretty easy setup. One caveat, I thoughtlesly connected to my iTunes account but my wife's account is the family master account and has virtually all the digital copies on it.

Wouldn't be a problem except you cannot disconnect from iTunes and reconnect with a new account without waiting a 180 day penalty period.

dx23

#31 Post by dx23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:48 pm

movielocke wrote:
dx23 wrote:Fox, Disney, WB, Universal and Sony have come together and created the Movies Anywhere digital platform, based on the soon-ending Disney Anywhere app/system. So far, it's connecting purchases from iTunes, Amazon, Disney, Google Play and Vudu and putting the libraries in one place.
pretty easy setup. One caveat, I thoughtlesly connected to my iTunes account but my wife's account is the family master account and has virtually all the digital copies on it.

Wouldn't be a problem except you cannot disconnect from iTunes and reconnect with a new account without waiting a 180 day penalty period.
Issues that I'm seeing are the transfer of purchased films from Vudu. There are missing films in my catalog after the connection.

Ribs

#32 Post by Ribs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Are they films that are from Paramount or Lionsgate (including A24 and Weinstein Company)? They haven't agreed yet so those won't carry over.

dx23

#33 Post by dx23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I think some are. That makes sense then.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#34 Post by ando » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm

In case anyone's interested and not in possession of a copy of the current Criterion Club Discussion title, Breaker Morant, tubitv has streaming for free.

Minkin

#35 Post by Minkin » Mon May 07, 2018 9:08 am

Mentioned elsewhere, but we finally bought a Roku. Does anyone have any recommended private channels that they use? Or perhaps just regular channels as well - as it seems like there's hundreds of channels that add up to the same thing (like many channels, including the default "Roku Channel," are just a watered-down Tubi).

The best thing I've found so far is Pluto TV - with its 24hour Rifftrax + MST3K channels. Also found the NHK broadcast channel and a few generic film streaming channels (Filmrise, Popcorn flix, etc). The best is the Huell channel that someone linked to the Chapman website -thus we can finally watch any Huell episode on the tv at anytime.
-----
Also - I have Kanopy from both my local library + my former university (which is great, as the university Kanopy doesn't have any monthly limit). But I've noticed that they have some differences in content between the two accounts! Strange.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#36 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am

I guess my only recommendation would be to keep it in the back of your mind. If you have something you like to watch on your computer, or some niche you've always wanted to fill but figured there wasn't an avenue for it, just google that and "Roku" and you'll often be surprised and even borderline thrilled by how many things have Roku apps to go with them. Pretty much everywhere that caters in video-based web content or public domain films and TV and any number of other things have an app either within the Roku store or easily added through the box's ability to load applications onto it from external sources.

MyFathersSon

#37 Post by MyFathersSon » Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 am

When streaming from Kanopy on Roku I can not get subtitles to show on for at least several classic French films: Claire's Knee, Cleo from 5 to 7, and Shoot the Piano Player.

thirtyframesasecond

#38 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:26 am

The Guardian had an article the other day on Soviet Movies Online which streams old and contemporary Soviet and Russian films - your regular classics here; Tarkovsky, Sokurov et al, plus some iconic Soviet TV series - https://sovietmoviesonline.com

Also an Eastern European section; Bulgaria, Cz Rep, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia - be keen to see some of the films from those countries that are less well known - Bulgaria etc. - https://easterneuropeanmovies.com/all_movies.html

Interesting pricing - $5 for one day, $15 for one week, $30 for one month, $100 for unlimited.

Anyone seen this/subscribe?

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#39 Post by soundchaser » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 am

I’ve seen both of these before, and I’m really skeptical of their legality.

thirtyframesasecond

#40 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 am
I’ve seen both of these before, and I’m really skeptical of their legality.
Yes I think you're right. Their Fear Eats the Soul is the Criterion Collection version and I'm guessing they haven't signed anything with them. I assume the Mosfilm Soviet films are straight from their YT channel.

It's a neat list of films to watch from a country/region. It ain't worth $100 though.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#41 Post by soundchaser » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Right - as a repository it's a good one. And it would be hypocritical of me to complain about piracy as a whole, given that I frequent backchannels. But charging for pirated content is where I think the line should be drawn.

flyonthewall2983

#42 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Comcast considering selling off it's share of Hulu to Disney, presumably to focus on starting it's own streaming service.

hearthesilence

#43 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 am

I think I mentioned this elsewhere but I've always been surprised that the major record labels and the major studios/networks didn't develop their own streaming services and impose on us a 21st century version of the mid-20th century broadcast model where you have a few major networks and little else. After all the corporate consolidation of the '90s and '00s, they seemed poised to do that rather than give it all away to third parties like Spotify and Netflix. Wouldn't be great for consumers, but it would preserve the status quo and at least artists presumably would stand to make more. (Musicians were essentially thrown under a bus when the label negotiations with Spotify decimated artist royalties to save as much money as possible for the labels themselves. The labels were never going to go quietly, and they struck back ruthlessly using the clout they had left.)

Anyway, it looks like that's what's happening now, though it could be too late. Only Disney has the ability to take on Netflix since they now own so much of pop culture - the other studios will have a tougher time.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#44 Post by ando » Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 pm

The Matrix Trilogy is back on Netflix.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#45 Post by ando » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:22 am

Chucked Spotify (Premium) recently for Primephonic, a classical music app, which has a more sophisticated interface than the former (which has a nearly laughable classical search format, though a commendable collection). Aside from the search function the chief difference is in sound quality: Primephonic streams up to 24 bit lossless via WiFi and/or cellular. It will also adapt sound quality to the highest quality supported by your network. Still getting acquainted with the interface but so far the free two trial has been an intriguing experience.

Spotify still has the best blues collection that I've encountered, though.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#46 Post by ando » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 am

Does anyone here have (or done a trial run of) YouTubeTV? It's only available in selected big market U.S. cities but it boasts an offering of up to 30 cable channels - mostly, the high demand sports and news networks. I currently don't have cable so this seems ideal. May do the five day trial run this weekend and cancel on the fourth day if it presents problems (read a couple of stories of charges being administered a day before expiration). Mostly, I like the idea of having the service available on my tablet when I travel.

FrauBlucher

#47 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am

Ando, please post your experience with that service. I am very curious as I will be cutting my cable at some point soon

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#48 Post by ando » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am
Ando, please post your experience with that service. I am very curious as I will be cutting my cable at some point soon
👍

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#49 Post by Drucker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 pm

I passed on youtube tv because they were missing some specific channel I liked, if memory serves me right.

However, I do have Hulu Live and I love it. Interface is easy and great, quality is fine, and much cheaper than cable.

jbeall

#50 Post by jbeall » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 pm