Festival Circuit 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
dda1996a

Re: Festival Circuit 2019

#251 Post by dda1996a » Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 am

Matthias and Maxime? I though Dolan never has issues getting his films released

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#252 Post by Never Cursed » Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 am

I can see why he'd have trouble getting distribution in the wake of the Life And Death Of John F. Donovan fiasco

colinr0380

#253 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:58 am

Has anyone picked up The Wild Goose Lake?

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#254 Post by Omensetter » Sun May 26, 2019 10:55 am

Regarding Dolan, It's Only the End of the World went straight-to-Netflix like a year after its Cannes debut, but not like released by Netflix like The Ballad of Buster Scruggs or even Happy as Lazzaro. It was more like it was uploaded in the middle of the night. Tom at the Farm didn't receive distribution for two years. The Death and Life of John F. Donovan apparently doesn't have any distribution, online or otherwise. Netflix quietly uploading a film starring Natalie Portman and the guy from Game of Thrones seems like a best case scenario. Matthias & Maxime was met with indifference and doesn't have any stars. Maybe someone sees something in it? I just learned from this thread that Strand picked up Yomeddine and an Egyptian comedy getting picked makes sense. The stakes in Dolan's latest seem very low and, on the basis of It's Only the End of the World, I don't know capable he is of dramatizing his worn-out scenario such that it feels fresh.
colinr0380 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:58 am
Has anyone picked up The Wild Goose Lake?
I haven't heard about it's release stateside, but I thought it sounded like a decent enough prospect for release---decent reviews, lauded for its direction and stylish cinematography, and firmly genre).

Jgh8xxx

#256 Post by Jgh8xxx » Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 am

Omensetter wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:55 pm
Only three films from last year's competition didn't end up with distribution---Ayka, Yomeddine, At War, so I'd say it's odds are still very good.

Competition distribution:
Netflix --- Atlantics
Universal/Focus --- The Dead Don't Die
Sony/SPC --- Frankie / Pain and Glory / The Traitor
Disney/Fox Searchlight --- A Hidden Life
Amazon --- Les Misérables
Columbia --- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
NEON --- Portrait of a Lady on Fire / Parasite
Magnolia --- The Whistlers

Just scanning the competition, I'd say the films most in danger of not getting distribution are Matthias and Maxime and Mektoub My Love: Intermezzo.
Also AT WAR will be released via Cinema Libre in NY and LA this July. So AYKA is the lone holdout from the 2018 lineup!

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#257 Post by Omensetter » Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Haven't even heard of Cinema Libre! Good for Brize. It looks like their other big title is another 2018 Cannes dud, the Cotillard-starrer Angel Face.

Finch

#258 Post by Finch » Tue May 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Poll of 50 global critics for the best films at Cannes 2019
BEST FILM

1. “Parasite”

2. “Portrait of a Lady on Fire”

3. “The Lighthouse”

4. “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood”

5. “Pain and Glory”
BEST DIRECTOR

1. Celine Sciamma, “Portrait of a Lady on Fire”

2. Bong Joon-ho, “Parasite”

3. Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood”

4. Robert Eggers, “The Lighthouse”

4. Pedro Almodovar, “Pain and Glory”
BEST SCREENPLAY

1. “Parasite” (Kim Dae-hwan, Han Jin Won, Bong Joon-ho)

2. “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” (Celine Sciamma)

3. Pain and Glory” (Pedro Almodóvar)

4. “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” (Quentin Tarantino)

5. “Bacurau” (Juliano Dornelles, Kleber Mendonça Filho)
BEST FIRST FILM

1. “Atlantics”

2. “I Lost My Body”

3. “The Climb”

4. “For Sama”

5. “A Brother’s Love”/“Bull”

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#259 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm

THR: Pedro Almodóvar to Receive Venice Film Festival Lifetime Honor
“Almodóvar isn’t only the greatest and most influential Spanish director since (Luis) Buñuel, he is a filmmaker who has offered us the most multifaceted, controversial and provocative portraits of post-Franco Spain,” said Venice festival director Alberto Barbera in a statement, noting that he imbues his topics “of transgression, desire and identity ... with corrosive humor and adorns with a visual splendor.”

rrenault

#260 Post by rrenault » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:29 am

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned Kiyoshi Kurosawa normally being in UCR. It's usually the case with Claire Denis as well. Why is it that these two directors are often left out of the main competition? They've both been healthily represented by premier boutique labels like Criterion and Eureka and are among the most praised figures in world cinema of the last 20-25 years, so surely they'd have enough cultural capital to make it into the main competition.

In any case, maybe filmmakers should call it a day at playing the Cannes game once they win big on the festival circuit. This is basically what both Fellini and Bunuel did. Interestingly, Bresson is one of the few major directors to never win the top prize at one of the Big Three festivals: Cannes, Venice, Berlin. At least during the "cinema d'auteur" era. Rivette's another one. And Truffaut, and Almodovar, so okay...never mind.

BenoitRouilly

#261 Post by BenoitRouilly » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 pm

"Un Certain Regard" as the name says is destined to quirky films and odd filmmakers with a peculiar look... things that don't appeal to the majority of the Press. The Competition is purely for safe bets and seasoned participants and awarded winners. Competition is more "mainstream" and UCR is for the mavericks, all in the context of world art cinema.
It's a privilege to be in UCR, it means you're different!
From what I heard, when the Fremeaux team selects the films, there is only one list for both sections and then the films move from Competition to the parallel section, or the off competition, etc.

And we know the juries make democratic votes based on feelings, and make mistakes in regard to film history. The system is not perfect, but it should never be. Even if the jury was 100% film critics they wouldn't even agree on the palme d'or. Just take a look at the Cannes ratings in the press (a film can be considered both a palme d'or and a travesty by film critics! there is no consensus, no measure).
If it was a popular vote of all festival goers, the results would be middle-of-the-road and disputed by many.
It's a lose-lose situation. Nobody's happy. It's either we cope with the jury partial decision or we don't have a competition (which is a sports concept applied to art)

rrenault

#262 Post by rrenault » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 pm

But I'd say it's been a while since there was a Palme d'Or that was truly disliked by a large number of critics. Maybe Dancer in the Dark. And Fahrenheit 9/11. Of course you have guys like Richard Brody who as a matter of course pan just about any contemporary festival darling auteur. That's not to say I dislike Brody. He's often an engaging read but a tad predictable in that you often know ahead of time how he'll react to certain types of films. I'm not saying Brody's Armond White. Much of what he says about the state of contemporary French cinema is spot on, but you sometimes get the sense he's reviewing a film by Haneke or Farhadi without having actually watched it and is merely entering into a diatribe against the Haneke-esque.

I know I'm straying off topic here, but I'd say Brody's mostly bored with a "cinema of ideas" and is more interested in the sensual/aesthetic pleasures offered by cine-plastics(for lack of a better term). At least that's my impression. So he's more interested in filmmakers who "make cinema" in the way someone like Ophuls, Tati, or Mizoguchi "made cinema".

dda1996a

#263 Post by dda1996a » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Who dislikes Dancer in the Dark?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#264 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Both of his examples were broadly well-liked worldwide

rrenault

#265 Post by rrenault » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Both of his examples were broadly well-liked worldwide
Well I mainly had in mind the fact that Dancer in the Dark had a 61 on metacritic which is low for a Palme winner. That’s all.

DarkImbecile

#266 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 am

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#267 Post by Omensetter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 am

That's fantastic news. She hasn't made a less-than-great film and is one of the best directors in the world. Cannes rejecting Zama was one of the more baffling dismissals in recent memory. I really hope she's getting financing, so we don't hafta wait another nine years. That's about a great a president Venice could have gone with.

dda1996a

#268 Post by dda1996a » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 am

She wasnt accepted because Almodovar was president of the jury and producer on the film

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#269 Post by Omensetter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 am

She could have played OOC or in UCR, but she didn't receive an invitation.

Venice didn't even put her in Competition.

But, you know, I probably care about this more than Martel.

DarkImbecile

#271 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am

Armando Iannucci’s The Personal History of David Copperfield will open the London Film Festival as a ‘European premiere’, which means it will likely appear in Toronto or Telluride first.

DarkImbecile

#272 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 am

DarkImbecile

#274 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:27 pm

This time of year finds me scouring a lot of sources I wouldn’t usually read for potential festival news and rumors, and this self-editing fail (from the Jeff Wells-esque Jordan Ruimy’s World of Reel) made my day:

therewillbeblus

#275 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Everyone knows 10 is the new 12