Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
zedz

Re: Awards Season 2019

#901 Post by zedz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 am

swo17 wrote:*other than his family being murdered by the Nazis and then again by the Manson family
So how much sexual abuse am I allowed to get away with if somebody once hit me on the head with a broom?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#902 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:56 am

So, yeah, what a trainwreck.
It started quite on par with the rest of the ceremony, with an awful unfunny Joker-inspired sketch that allowed the host to start the ceremony. With more unfunny jokes... except when tackling Polanski's noms ("we'll need to talk about the upcoming akward moments... you know, the 12 ones") (she also never said Polanski out loud once, calling him Popol or Atchoum - Sneezy - instead), recent allegations against a very famous French singer (Patrick Bruel), people who cancelled at the last minute and other very akward things like these.
Aissa Maiga did a very long seemingly poorly prepared speech about how there probably were only a dozen black people in the room and this needs to change, making a joke about how Vincent Cassel used to be French cinema's "black" guy (a joke he seemingly didn't understand himself).
Les misérables got the Audience award, during which they felt the need to nod to Qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au bon dieu, which was the #1 French movie at the French 2019 BO but thanks to the change of rules, it wasn't automatic anymore. Seemingly, despite having been announced in Nov 19, the director only learnt recently about the rule change, complained to journalists about this and didn't come to the ceremony.
Many very low-profile people presented most of the awards. Matthieu Kassovitz presented Best Actress though. He's known to be very cynical and acid when he wants to, and seemingly (it does seem legit), the host didn't know what he was about to say because it's a last minute job, and he spent most of his presentation scaring her off but in the end didn't say much. Chiara Maistroianni possibly presented Best Supporting Actor at random and unprepared.
Daroussin possibly willingly grumbled Polanski's name when he got the Best Adapted Screenplay. Claire Denis presented Best Directing and of course, there were jokes and nods to the fact she's part of the main reasons why the whole shitstorm started for the Academy.
Swann Arlaud, who got Best Supporting Actor for Grâce à dieu, a movie about paedophilia in the catholic church, did a very moving and direct speech about how cinema isn't justice but allows some people to be heard.

As written above, it is said about 100 persons walked out when Polanski got Best Directing, including most (all ?) of Portrait de la jeune fille en feu's team. Foresti didn't stay for the final "winners" picture and Instagramed later she was "disgusted", and people like Haenel and Arlaud went somewhere else than the usual Fouquet's, where everyone else went. It was interesting because at first, people clapped very normally at each nominee being named, Polanski included, but when he got awarded, it suddenly got very divided : people started to clap normally, but then, Haenel, Sciamma and cie left, people stopped clapping and some started to boo.

Before and during the ceremony, feminist demonstrations were taking place outside the Salle Pleyel where the ceremony was taking place.

So yeah, tremendous trainwreck of a ceremony. Which turned out to be much more entertaining that the past ones, though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#903 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 am

zedz wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 am
swo17 wrote:*other than his family being murdered by the Nazis and then again by the Manson family
So how much sexual abuse am I allowed to get away with if somebody once hit me on the head with a broom?
You can have your way with that broom