'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Der Spieler

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4001 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:09 pm

I posted this in the Shout Factory thread but I think it earned its place here:

Blu-ray.com review of SILVER BULLET:
"Silver Bullet" has appeared on Blu-ray before, including last year's release from Umbrella Entertainment. Shout Factory appears to use the same master, with the AVC encoded image (2.35:1 aspect ratio) presentation delivering a satisfying look at the cinematographic particulars of the picture, which tends to favor a diffused appearance, especially around werewolf attacks. Detail comes through, presenting textured costuming and monster fur, and facial surfaces retain intended wear and tear. Colors are compelling, handling period outfits with some primary heft, and greenery is appealing, preserving the small town atmosphere. Delineation is comfortable, doing well with the feature's intense nighttime activity. Source is in decent shape, lacking any major areas of damage.
Same guy also did DOWNTON ABBEY:
The AVC encoded image (2.39:1 aspect ratio) presentation brings "Downton Abbey" to a more cinematic realm, preserving the feature's efforts to deepen screen textures. Fine detail is easily surveyed during the viewing experience, taking in the extravagance of the costuming and the weariness of close-ups, protecting subtle emotionality. Distances are dimensional, offering bigness that surrounds the titular estate. Colors retain their regality for upstairs life, with warmer hues for clothing and natural lighting, and greenery is exact. Downstairs embraces more of a black and white world, and delineation struggles at times to pick out the particulars of dense suits and dresses.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4002 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Speaking of, a Blu-ray.com user has some advice on making sure you regularly tune-up your Blu-ray discs and drive them around the block once a week
People don't buy movies just to store in a rack for umpteen years, and expect them to still play afterwards. Anything that's not being used for that long, it's going to have problems because, the internal mechanisms need to operable and in use for them for self lubrications and mobile to keep them functioning.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4003 Post by soundchaser » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm

a Blu-Ray.com user wrote:why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4004 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:41 pm

It's nice sometimes to have my life choice of only frequenting one forum validated

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4005 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Are you trying to tell me the DarkImbecile on this site isn't you

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4006 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I didn't say I didn't model elsewhere

knives

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#4007 Post by knives » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:17 pm

One of the top rated comments on Letterboxd for The Blackboard Jungle
If you make a film in which a white character sees the inherent humanity of or otherwise connects to a black character by listening to them sing, you have made a very bad movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4008 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:24 pm

To offer but one rebuttal to such an uncharitable response, remind me again how many mixed race classrooms were presented on-screen in the 50s wherein the character with the most power, sway, and popularity with his peers was black? Anyone who walks away from the film thinking it’s racist went in with their mind already made up against it

knives

#4009 Post by knives » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Strange, I thought I posted this in the rediculous thread.

But yeah, I saw this movie and was blown away by how good and complex it was on the racial front especially in that scene where Ford is reported only to be blown away in a different direction by how stupid that comment is. It's also a fundamental misreading of that scene.

Big Ben

#4010 Post by Big Ben » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:36 pm

knives wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:28 pm
Strange, I thought I posted this in the rediculous thread.

But yeah, I saw this movie and was blown away by how good and complex it was on the racial front especially in that scene where Ford is reported only to be blown away in a different direction by how stupid that comment is. It's also a fundamental misreading of that scene.
People having weird opinions of the film is nothing new. I happened to see this film in the presence of Ford's son Peter. Talking to Peter about it he was more than willing to talk about the controversy this film caused because it was willing to treat Poitier's character with respect. He told me Hedda Hopper accused his father of being a communist. I imagine both men would be bothered by this review too as it apparently meant a lot to Glenn.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4011 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Comment on a Blu-ray.com news story about Indicator's releases
Anytime now this label is going to release a third film that's worth seeing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4012 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:41 pm

I only count one: The Mad Magician

EDIT: No wait, never mind, the Twilight Time release is better

knives

#4013 Post by knives » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Letterboxd's top review for The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing is a beautiful case of not being able to distinguish between depictions and endorsement.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4014 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 pm

No actual human being could watch that film and think it was endorsing the monstrous jealousy and insecurity of Farley Granger

knives

#4015 Post by knives » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 pm

And yet about half the reviews seem to think that because people are artistically illiterate.

MichaelB

#4016 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 am

domino harvey wrote:Comment on a Blu-ray.com news story about Indicator's releases
Anytime now this label is going to release a third film that's worth seeing.
Indicator has indeed released just two Charles Bronson films to date.

Jack Kubrick

#4017 Post by Jack Kubrick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Sally Jane Black wrote: The unnecessary and disturbing pedophilia subplot (which is never addressed nor commented on in any meaningful way) serves no purpose but to make the working class protagonist unlikable (thus eradicating the film's chances of ever being class conscious) and characterize a child in a sexual way. The commentary on North Korea could be argued to be unreliable, given that it comes out of the mouths of characters who are quintessential bootlickers, but since the U.S. media has almost completely drowned out alternative views on the DPRK, that unreliability is lost on most viewers. Instead, it just seems like a gross moment of chauvinism at best and chauvinistic humor at worst. The fucked up use of native peoples' cultural aesthetics (or the stereotypical portrayals thereof) is bizarre, racist, and uncommented upon by the film. Yes, it's the cruel, exploitative rich ruling class playing pretend, but the behavior is never called out within the context of the film. And in the end, two of the female characters are dead so we can watch the men angst about it--and then we don't get even that much. They become props in the drama of men, as usual.

knives

#4018 Post by knives » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Honestly the whole thread could be quotes from her so I don't think we need to fill it up with her nonsense.

Jack Kubrick

#4019 Post by Jack Kubrick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:05 pm

This was something that sticked out, having rewatched Parasite and reading some of the popular reviews on LB. I just wasn't aware of SJB being a tankie.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4020 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 pm

"tankie" ???

Jack Kubrick

#4021 Post by Jack Kubrick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:06 pm

An very online apologist for communist regimes. She literally quotes Mao Zedong without any trance of irony in her bio.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4022 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Not a term I'd think of in connection with such a sort of person... ;-)

yoshimori

#4023 Post by yoshimori » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:29 am

I never quote Mao unironically, but, just to be clear, is she not right about the film? Just asking.

Mr Sausage

#4024 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:28 am

yoshimori wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:29 am
I never quote Mao unironically, but, just to be clear, is she not right about the film? Just asking.
What do you think she gets right? On the last line alone, she is deliberately misleading: two male characters are also killed, making it symmetrical. Not that characters dying at the end could possibly make anyone props in a sexist drama because, you know, once the climax ends the drama is pretty well over. Props in two minutes of male coda drama? Whatever.

yoshimori

#4025 Post by yoshimori » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Seems like it might be possible to sympathize with, if not all the details of her presentation, at least her basic thrust: that the protagonist family (and the filmmaker) are ultimately 'bootlickers' in that they fail to adequately call out the structural deficiencies of the social system in which they find themselves.

This was not my main problem with the film -- there's something about Bong's work post-Memories that overwhelms me with a feeling of (his/its) falseness, a feeling that the films are ... not so much desperate pleas to be taken seriously, but more 'self-congratulations', prizes Bong gives to himself for being such an insightful genius -- but it doesn't seem like an illegitimate response to it.

I also thought the 'jokes' about North Korea were tired and forced and unfunny and reasonably labeled 'chauvinistic'. That's a minor point, perhaps, though I can understand how she understands that failed humor as a symptom of the major one.