Anime

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Cde.

Rebuild thoughts + trailer

#101 Post by Cde. » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:09 am

AttitudeAJM wrote:Just got my hands on Rebuild of Evangelion: 01 You Are (not) Alone. At first I was apprehensive about a series of movies trying to retell such a great Anime. However, this was very exciting and changes plot points from the show. You do not need to have seen the show previously and the episodes that they do squish into one movie works flawlessly.

Plus the animation got a big overhaul.
As a huge fan of Evangelion, I was quite disappointed. I still enjoyed the film overall, but I think that, like Watchmen, it tried to be too faithful to its source rather than making the right changes so as to really succeed as a film. The comparison to Snyder's film is a little extreme, since this is a far greater work that at least has some sense of rhythm and tone, but I think that like Watchmen it was too focused for much of the running time on ticking all the boxes of what needs to be in Eva, at the expense of the pacing and the storytelling integrity of the new work. All the scenes were in the right place, but the feeling just wasn't there. It was not until the Operation Yashima sequence at the end that I really felt that it became something fresh and could stand on its own two feet as a film. That scene is absolutely incredible in a cinema, and is beautifully aestheticized and just about perfectly handled.

Fortunately, 2.0 looks to be following the path set out on at the end of the film.

The trailer is out and it looks absolutely beautiful.

jojo

The Sky Crawlers (Mamoru Oshii, 2008)

#102 Post by jojo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm

The Sky Crawlers (R1/US BD) in May

This Mamoru Oshii feature kinda got lost in the shuffle at around the time Ponyo on the Cliff was released. I know there are a few Oshii admirers in here, so I'm interested in hearing what you guys thought of this one.

colinr0380

Re: Anime Recommendations

#103 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Some news that I missed from many months ago - back in April Central Park Media went bankrupt after a year or so of not releasing any new titles. Despite often being lambasted for their English dubbing the studio had been releasing anime titles since 1990 including many of the more famous titles such as Records of Lodoss War and the Patlabor series as well as the notorious Urotsukidoji. Sadly I had not realised that they had released Nights on the Galactic Railroad until the announcement (Helen McCarthy spoke very highly of this title in her Anime Movie Guide from the mid-90s), but had picked up Grave of the Fireflies. It will be interesting to see whether another company will release Fireflies back to DVD or if it will go to Disney like the other Studio Ghibli titles.

Saturnome

#104 Post by Saturnome » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:45 pm

What? Crap! Night on the Galactic Railroad is now over a hundred dollars everywhere ! I almost bought it a few years ago, now I hate myself. It's a real must see. I wish it will be released again. So much generic crap on the market, so few good stuff even translated.

Grave of the Fireflies was released this year by ADV Films. A classmate bought it, it's a two-disc with interviews, looks okay.

colinr0380

#105 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:33 am

Ah, that must have been where it went to. Thanks Saturnome! I had found some talk of ADV picking up some, but not all, of the old CPM titles but had not been able to track down the exact titles that they had chosen.

akaten

#106 Post by akaten » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:34 pm

I lost track of CPM as well and anime in general, so coming to this late, quite a shock, been going over their back catalogue to see what they have, missed quite a bit I must admit, will need to try and find a few such as Time Stranger and catch up on them.

Colin you already mentioned a few including Record of Lodess War OVA and the Patlabor OVA, even Roujin Z on the opening page, I also remember Project A-Ko and Dominion Tank Police being some of my earliest exposure to anime.

If anything their problem was they loved anime more than the 'fans' who have done so much to ruin the industry with their constant whining, bargaining and unrealistic demands for costly dubs. No more so than with the deluxe boxset of Armored Trooper Votoms, never going to recoup its costs and of course no one will touch that again.
Saturnome wrote:What? Crap! Night on the Galactic Railroad is now over a hundred dollars everywhere ! I almost bought it a few years ago, now I hate myself. It's a real must see. I wish it will be released again. So much generic crap on the market, so few good stuff even translated.
Might be a good time to bring up the articles by Justin Sevakis, a US anime industry veteran who has written about many of these shows, well worth reading:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night of the Galactic Railroad like many CPM properties had been long out of print before they went under, and was based on an older laserdisc. There's supposed to be a better Japanese DVD about, just need someone to pick it up.

I doubt many shows will be picked up, someone already asked Manga Entertainment about Cyber City Oedo 808 and were told the rights are too expensive (presumably meaning for the size of the market willing to buy). ADV Films have already put out a couple other CPM holdings most notably the Now and Then, Here and There series.

jojo

#107 Post by jojo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:50 pm

I had heard that Utena either got (or is undergoing?) a high-definition remaster in Japan, and it seemed like that show had a fair following here in the U.S. But it seems like either it's too expensive to re-license or the fan following isn't as big as I had originally surmised. Which is not surprising, as shoujo anime seems to have pretty much went bust in North America (I guess girls here read manga but don't watch anime). Even when a fairly successful company like Viz releases shoujo--who is, incidentally, currently releasing NANA on DVD--it's pretty under-the-radar and you would expect has fairly a low print run compared to some of their shounen titles.

colinr0380

#108 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:42 pm

I love the Katsuhiro Otomo written Roujin Z about the same amount as Akira for the way it combines the expected standard robot rampage elements of the sci-fi genre with an unorthodox lead character and nicely pared down story compared to the unwieldy amount of stuff going on in the more celebrated film. It also seems to take some of the Tetsuo subplot from Akira of a person being selected at random as a test subject by an organisation with little interest in their welfare; treating them with contempt; and then having the character being seen as a monster when they go on the rampage. Plus both characters in each film are powerless to control their subconscious which is empowered by either the medical experiments or the technology that they get hooked up to, even if they were in any state to want to. Though Roujin Z has more of a touching rather than tragic conclusion to its story.

colinr0380

Re:

#109 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Pinback wrote:Ocean Waves was made for television, right? I can understand its rarity on DVD, where as My Neighbors The Yamadas was a full theatrical release, making its international unavailability more baffling. Anyone know why it's the least seen Ghibli film?
Michael Kerpan wrote:Ocean Waves was made for older teens -- not children. And it is about 20 minutes too short (at least). Other than that, it is absolutely wonderful. It is the same sort of film as the (realistic parts of) "Whisper of the Heart" and "Only Yesterday" -- but dealing with seniors in high school. Also rather like Jun Ichikawa's (non-animated) "Tokyo Marigold".
Five years after the above discussion took place, Ocean Waves is finally being released in the UK.

jojo

#110 Post by jojo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 pm

That's great for you guys in the UK. It is definitely a lovely movie, although I'm not quite sure I totally agree with Michael's reasoning for why it is apparently the least-seen Ghibli film of their library.

HarryLong

#111 Post by HarryLong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Saturnome wrote:What? Crap! Night on the Galactic Railroad is now over a hundred dollars everywhere ! I almost bought it a few years ago, now I hate myself.
Amazon.com has a few copies for about 25 bucks.

Saturnome

#112 Post by Saturnome » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm getting a single used VHS for that price, not DVDs.

HarryLong

#113 Post by HarryLong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 am

Hmn ... I clicked on the DVD & didn't notice that the offer is for a VHS. (Is that called bait and switch?)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#114 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am

jojo wrote:That's great for you guys in the UK. It is definitely a lovely movie, although I'm not quite sure I totally agree with Michael's reasoning for why it is apparently the least-seen Ghibli film of their library.
Why do YOU think it is the least seen?

;~}

jojo

#115 Post by jojo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Ocean Waves has a few things going against it. First of all, it's not directed by a "name brand" Ghibli director. Off the top of my head, every Ghibli film not directed by Miyazaki or Takahata is either less critically acknowledged or have been overall far less big in the box office.

Secondly, being a made for TV movie inherently limits its audience anyway. It came, aired, went and now is only occasionally re-run on Japanese TV. Most Japanese households coming across an airing will think it's just another high school anime to put in with the overflowing pile of them. Also, being on TV limits its exposure to local film critics.

Third, while children's anime tend to do better overall than "older skewing" anime, it's not necessarily an automatic obstacle to critical acclaim or mainstream success. Takahata's films skew older but still get their acknowledgement by film critics even if they don't achieve mainstream bonanza. Ocean Waves seems to get ignored by both the mainstream and the critical community, and I believe the points above are the main reasons--not necessarily because it was an older-skewing Ghibli film.

ehimle

#116 Post by ehimle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Alright, I am interested in getting into Matsumoto's Galaxy Express 999 stuff.
I looked it up on wiki, but its a little confusing what's going on.
Can anyone tell me simply what are the releases, chronological, what the best releases & DVD/VHS are, and anything else.

Please and Thanks

solaris72

#117 Post by solaris72 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:08 am

First there was a really long TV show, which can be watched on joost.com (and I think that's the only legit subtitled version). Then came the movies (a separate continuity) Galaxy Express 999, Adieu Galaxy Express 999, and Galaxy Express 999 Eternal Fantasy. I don't think there're legit subbed DVDs of those out.
Then the series was rebooted as Galaxy Railways, which does exist on R1 subtitled DVD.

There's also a couple of miniseries about the character Maetel, I don't know what continuity (if any) those fit into.

I've seen the first two movies and a little of the TV show, and I'm a fan. Weird, stylized pulp space opera, kinda poetic at times. I'd start with the TV show; the first movie seems to be a rehash of several different episodes.

ehimle

#118 Post by ehimle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

yeah. i've seen parts of the show or movies when sci-fi channel would show anime in the 90s.
i liked it and later in life would talk about the series a little bit with a japanese friend of mine.

i've been getting into older anime and manga lately and decided to check this out again.
the starblazer stuff is ridiculous in price. and it seemed that most of the 999 stuff is out of print.
thanks for the joost.com recommend.

so a question. is this on amazon just the "rebooted" version of the TV show or the original?

jojo

#119 Post by jojo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:31 pm

That's neither a reboot nor is it the original. It's a new show about something else entirely.

forweg

#120 Post by forweg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am

I've personally found that while anime has artistically stagnated in recent years, manga has flourished. The only trouble is sifting through the monstrous volume of garbage to get to the good stuff. I recommend checking out Hideki Arai, Hitoshi Iwaaki, Naoki Urasawa, and most especially Inio Asano.

(Sorry if it's inappropriate for me to post this here, but there's unsurprisingly no manga thread, so...)

puxzkkx

Top 50 Anime Feature Films, Ever

#121 Post by puxzkkx » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:42 pm

I've been tasked with putting this list together for work. Unfortunately I know very little about anime so I've been doing tons of research and ultimately this reflects consensus opinion with some outre, cult-y picks thrown in. Fans of anime tell me what you think, I'd love to have some advice from someone who actually knows something about this medium.

50. "Junkers Come Here" - Jun'ichi Sato.
49. "Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors" - Mitsuyo Seo
48. "Ocean Waves" - Tomomi Mochizuki
47. "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" - Mamoru Oshii
46. "Spring and Chaos" - Shooji Kawamori
45. "Tekkonkinkreet" - Michael Arias
44. "Midori" - Hiroshi Harada
43. "Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone" - Masayuki & Kazuya Tsurumaki
42. "Tokyo Godfathers" - Satoshi Kon
41. "The Little Norse Prince" - Isao Takahata

40. "Stormy Night" - Gisaburo Sugii
39. "My Neighbours the Yamadas" - Isao Takahata
38. "Howl's Moving Castle" - Hayao Miyazaki
37. "Ninja Scroll" - Yoshiaki Kawajiri
36. "Chie the Brat" - Isao Takahata
35. "Castle in the Sky" - Hayao Miyazaki
34. "Memories" - Kouji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura & Katsuhiro Ootomo
33. "Vampire Hunter D" - Toyoo Ashida & Carl Macek
32. "Mind Game" - Masaaki Yuasa
31. "Ponyo" - Hayao Miyazaki

30. "Perfect Blue" - Satoshi Kon
29. "Kiki's Delivery Service" - Hayao Miyazaki
28. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" - Shin'ichiroo Watanabe
27. "Akira" - Katsuhiro Ootomo
26. "Porco Rosso" - Hayao Miyazaki
25. "Patlabor 2: The Movie" - Mamoru Oshii
24. "Galaxy Express 999" - Rintaro
23. "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" - Mamoru Hosoda
22. "Barefoot Gen" - Mori Masaki
21. "Roujin Z" - Hiroyuki Kitakubo

20. "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade" - Hiroyuki Okiura
19. "Paprika" - Satoshi Kon
18. "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneeamise" - Hiroyuki Yamaga
17. "The Tale of the White Serpent" - Kazuhiko Okabe & Taiji Yabushita
16. "Angel's Egg" - Mamoru Oshii
15. "Gauche the Cellist" - Isao Takahata
14. "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" - Makoto Shinkai
13. "Spirited Away" - Hayao Miyazaki
12. "Night on the Galactic Railroad" - Gisaburo Sugii
11. "Metropolis" - Rintaro

10. "5 Centimetres Per Second" - Makoto Shinkai
9. "Ghost in the Shell" - Mamoru Oshii
8. "Princess Mononoke" - Hayao Miyazaki
7. "Only Yesterday" - Isao Takahata
6. "My Neighbour Totoro" - Hayao Miyazaki
5. "The End of Evangelion" - Hideaki Anno & Kazuya Tsurumaki
4. "Millennium Actress" - Satoshi Kon
3. "Whisper of the Heart" - Yoshifumi Kondo
2. "Grave of the Fireflies" - Isao Takahata
1. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" - Hayao Miyazaki

I just realized now that I'd forgotten Pom Poko. I'm 95% of the way through annotating and web-readying the final list so its really too late to change it now. But still, shit. So if that strikes you as a glaring ommission, I'm sorry!

akaten

#122 Post by akaten » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm

It was a few months back when we were discussing the CPM catalogue (excellent summary of Roujin Z Colin, a pity it isn't more readily available in Europe where I think it would be well received) I noticed they had a sublabel of animated adaptations of literary classics. The listing from AnimeonDVD is at the link below, I will hopefully try to find time (and copies stillabout) view some of them in good time:

http://www.mania.com/animated-classics- ... 10288.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, I was wondering, has anyone here familiar with Sunao Katabuchi? I caught a interview with him on NHK World, he was assistant director on Kiki's Delivery Service and has directed two features in the past decade.

Arite hime (Princess Arete) 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvM4p_YDtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maimai Shinko to sennen no mahô (Mai Mai Miracle being the title used as a Barbican screening last November) 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-l73ZJtpg&feature=fvst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It also appears he directed and wrote the side stories in Ace Combat 4, which if anyone is unaware came out of nowhere in an otherwise cookie cutter arcade flight game, with narrative stills, sounds and narration about a boy in an occupied country who becomes attached to the members of Yellow Squadrum you face throughout the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRAoyXXEmk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (apologies for the messy links)

Despite the rather iffy voicework and clumsy parts to the screenplay these unusual scenes in the game left a lasting impression on me a few years back, the two films certainly appear to be of interest, surprised they've not been confirmed for home release outside Japan.

jojo

#123 Post by jojo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 pm

akaten wrote:
By the way, I was wondering, has anyone here familiar with Sunao Katabuchi? .
He's actually quite well known in the "mainstream" anime fan community for directing the popular Black Lagoon anime series, which is sort of a hodge podge mix of old-school grindhouse and exploitation films.

akaten

#124 Post by akaten » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:42 am

Apologies for the late reply, I wasn't aware of the series as I tend to avoid the anime fan community, does seem a departure from the films that caught my eye, but its success might explain him being able to direct again with his most recent feature.

Since my previous post the same NHK World slot presented the experimental animated short films of Kei Oyama time about the second a feature on Hideo Nakata and his Sovat Theatre:

http://park11.wakwak.com/~sovat/www_sovat_e/e_top.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colinr0380

#125 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:51 pm

domino harvey, in passages thread re: Satoshi Kon wrote:I have next to no experience with anime. Which film of his should I seek out first?
I'll post it here because I don't want to be too critical of a director's body of work in the passages thread! It is difficult to recommend a particular film by Satoshi Kon to start with domino (and I haven't yet seen Tokyo Godfathers or Paranoia Agent) - I personally find the films more interesting in the way they interrelate with each other than in their individual stories if that makes sense, and particularly like the ongoing theme of layers of truth and reality that get tackled in different ways in each film. Fantasies are shown as important in helping to reveal inner qualities or idealistic traits and working through issues, yet also can do the opposite of reinforcing delusions and twisted logic.

Perfect Blue is perhaps his most famous film, at least it was in the UK with its twisting serial killer plot revolving around Mima as the pop star whose fragile psyche seems to be fracturing as she tries to shed her squeaky clean image by taking on a gritty adult role (think a similar role to Jodie Foster's one in The Accused) that she, and some of those around her, have their doubts about her ability to handle. (I also think the parallels could be drawn with that Abel Ferrara film Dangerous Game with Madonna, or those seemingly desperate attempts by Lindsay Lohan or Anne Hathaway to move from being typecast as 'wholesome' Disney actresses by taking on more 'adult' roles in films like I Know Who Killed Me or Havoc) It is a difficult film that in some ways plays into certain stereotypes about the portrayal of sexual violence in anime, and film in general, and in some ways I think this is the most conventional tackling of the idea of mental breakdown being expressed in a homicidal manner, along with the twisting "am I a killer or not?" questionings.

I think Millennium Actress is my favourite of Satoshi Kon's films, with the actress moving through her various roles, and marked by them to a certain extent. It's a film about duration, how the protagonist is being buffeted by events; about history real, fictional and remembered, and how it all blends together into an indiviual's life story. At the same time she comes to represent a kind of idealised figure, much as Mima the pop star in Perfect Blue or Paprika the avatar does in her contrast with Atsuko. According to this Q&A the inspiration for the character came from elements of Setsuko Hara and Hideko Takamine.

I wrote a little about Paprika here. On rewatching it a few times since then I have softened in attitude towards the film a little, and also find that it grows more and more interesting on repeated viewings.

I know Michael Kerpan has issues with some of the films, and I find some of the stereotypical shorthand used for minor characters often works against engagement with or sometimes adds a too broadly played element to the story. Often the lead characters are nuanced while the bad guys, or the nerds (whether good or bad), are characterised rather cruelly. I usually get the impression from these shorthands that there isn't much interest in anyone beyond the main characters except for how they impact on our leads. Yet since many of these films are journeys inside the character's minds, that may be the whole point.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.