Rialto Pictures

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Andre Jurieu

#76 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 pm

souvenir wrote:
Andre Jurieu wrote:Is that seriously the best poster design that Rialto could come up with for Marienbad?
I actually like the Marienbad poster a lot. It's very similar to the one they did for Elevator to the Gallows. Did you see it somewhere or are you referring to the picture on the Rialto site? What Rialto has up, the still and the title, isn't the poster.
I was referring to the image they have on the page dedicated to Last Year in Marienbad on the Rialto website (also the same image they use on their front page). What does the actual poster look like?

souvenir

#77 Post by souvenir » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Okay, that's what I thought you might have meant. It doesn't look like that, thank goodness! It's drawn in the same style as Elevator to the Gallows and Army of Shadows, except with a silver background and white figures (if my memory is accurate). I was actually struck by how nice the poster looked when I saw it at Film Forum.

Andre Jurieu

#78 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Well, that's reassuring. It doesn't help that Posteritatimistakenly has the Diva poster up on their site where the Marienbad poster should be. I wish these corporate drones would pay more attention to their work. Now off to google images of Marissa Miller while my boss is away.

dadaistnun

#79 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Is this the poster you're referring to, souvenir?

souvenir

#80 Post by souvenir » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Yes, I believe that's it. Predictably, given my anything but photographic memory, it doesn't really match my description.

rwaits

#81 Post by rwaits » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Wow--I've never seen that--that is beautiful. Criterion, please take note.

Matt

#82 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:I was referring to the image they have on the page dedicated to Last Year in Marienbad on the Rialto website (also the same image they use on their front page).
That's an incredibly unforgiving photo of Delphine Seyrig. The zits on her chin, the lines in her forehead, the heavy eye makeup. And she wasn't even 30 at the time!

Andre Jurieu

#83 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Matt wrote:That's an incredibly unforgiving photo of Delphine Seyrig. The zits on her chin, the lines in her forehead, the heavy eye makeup. And she wasn't even 30 at the time!
Totally agree. Seems like an odd way to promote a movie that concentrates so much effort in emphasizing the aloof quality of her beauty.

Cinephrenic

#84 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm

New print of Robert Hamer's It Always Rains on Sunday

souvenir

#85 Post by souvenir » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:34 pm

Contempt is gearing up for a two-week run at Film Forum and Rialto have given it a new, interesting poster:

carax09

#86 Post by carax09 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm

I really like that! Here's hoping Criterion start selling it in their store.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#87 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:New print of Robert Hamer's It Always Rains on Sunday
This would make a worthy addition and for me get Criterion get back on track. How about this in a Postwar London East End 'Bombsite' Eclipse box containing Hue and Cry with Alastair Sim and Carol Reed's A Kid for Two Farthings.(Let's not forget that Hamer did one of the segments of Dead of Night as well, albeit the least interesting) The Criterion juices are beginning to flow in me again.Hope they don't dry up.

justeleblanc

#88 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:00 pm

souvenir wrote:Contempt is gearing up for a two-week run at Film Forum and Rialto have given it a new, interesting poster:

Michel Piccoli got f-ed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm

That'd be a great poster for a movie that even remotely resembled what that design implies, ie not for Contempt

Jean-Luc Garbo

#90 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:12 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Image

Michel Piccoli got f-ed.
Isn't that him on the far right? Otherwise, he certainly did. The billing on the poster gives a prominent place to Palance while Piccoli looks like a supporting player along with Moll. The poster is intriguing - I'd much rather have the Criterion DVD as a poster - but Domino's observation is valid. At least it's imaginative enough, though.

tryavna

#91 Post by tryavna » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:57 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:This would make a worthy addition and for me get Criterion get back on track. How about this in a Postwar London East End 'Bombsite' Eclipse box containing Hue and Cry with Alastair Sim and Carol Reed's A Kid for Two Farthings.(Let's not forget that Hamer did one of the segments of Dead of Night as well, albeit the least interesting) The Criterion juices are beginning to flow in me again.Hope they don't dry up.
I quite agree about It Always Rains, which was probably Ealing's best straight-up drama. I'm relatively pleased with my R2 Optimum disc, but the film certainly deserves better recognition on this side of the pond -- and Criterion could give it that. Reed's film, however, was already released by HVe. I know that the old HVe no longer exists, but the disc is still in print. Is there much likelihood that Criterion would bother? At any rate, I'd imagine that, if Criterion did indeed do a British Eclipse set or two, they'd keep the Ealing films together. It'd make much more sense from a marketing perspective, since the Ealing name carries quite a lot of cache.

jaredsap

#92 Post by jaredsap » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 pm

souvenir wrote:Contempt is gearing up for a two-week run at Film Forum and Rialto have given it a new, interesting poster
Did you say Blu-ray cover? Love it.

Ovader

It Always Rains on Sunday

#93 Post by Ovader » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:New print of Robert Hamer's It Always Rains on Sunday
Googie Withers & John McCallum were interviewed on the Speakeasy earlier this evening. Interview starts at 42:00 minutes.

UbuRoi

#94 Post by UbuRoi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:45 am

I saw "Contempt" at Film Forum last night- what a film to see on the big screen! It was a fairly packed house, so hopefully it will get a "Marienbad"- esque extension, since as good as the Criterion disc is, it doesn't do the movie enough justice until it's there in all it's eye popping glory in front of you.
To get to the point, though, there as a lobby display when we got out proclaiming that Film Forum is having a Godard in the 60's retrospective coming sometime in May (which made sense, as before the showing, trailers for "Masculine Feminine" and "Pierrot" ran). Just thought a head's up before the initial announcement might excite some of the New Yorkers here!

tavernier

#95 Post by tavernier » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 am

Film Forum press release:
May 2–29 Four Weeks! 20 Films!

GODARD’S 60s

“From Breathless through Weekend, Godard reinvented cinema.” – J. Hoberman

Commemorating the 40th anniversary of the events of May ’68, a month-long retrospective of the thrilling first decade of Jean-Luc Godard’s moviemaking career, opening with his rule-breaking first feature, Breathless, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg. Festival also includes all of the director’s feature films of the 1960s, including quintessential collaborations with then-wife Anna Karina (Band of Outsiders, Pierrot Le Fou, Alphaville, A Woman is a Woman, etc.) and Jean-Pierre Léaud (Masculine Feminine, La Chinoise, etc.); his career-shifting tour de force, Weekend; super-rarities Made in U.S.A., Le Petit Soldat, Les Carabiniers, A Married Woman, Sympathy for the Devil (with the Rolling Stones), Un Film Comme Les Autres, and Le Gai Savoir; plus shorts Une histoire d’eau, Charlotte et Véronique, and Charlotte et son Jules, the undress rehearsal for Breathless. “Both an innovator and artist. Godard has imposed his way of seeing on us - we look at cities, at billboards and brand names, at a girl’s hair different because of him.” – Pauline Kael (1968).

truefaux

#96 Post by truefaux » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:09 am

um holy geez? that's a lot of titles. au revoir, d'argent!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#97 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:02 am

The Village Voice mentioned the Godard in the 1960s retrospective a few weeks ago. According to them, the centerpiece is to be a new 35mm print of "Vivre sa vie."

I forget, is "Vivre sa vie" with Janus now, or is that still in the nebulous void of the old Fox Lober/Winstar/Wellspring holdings?

-BJ

justeleblanc

#98 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:I forget, is "Vivre sa vie" with Janus now, or is that still in the nebulous void of the old Fox Lober/Winstar/Wellspring holdings?
Not sure if it's Janus or not, but it's been confirmed on multiple occasions that it is a Criterion.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#99 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Know it shouldn't go here (maybe we should make up a Janus Theatricals thread), but the NY Film Forum is showing Kobayashi's "The Human Condition" trilogy in late July, in conjunction with a Tetsuyo Nakadai retrospective.

-BJ

kaujot

#100 Post by kaujot » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 pm

I thought Rialto had an exclusive deal with Criterion. Why then, is Diva being released through Lionsgate?