Awards Season 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Awards Season 2018

#801 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Dana Carvey and Mike Myers will be presenting the Best Picture nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody, if you need another reason to just watch this year’s ceremony on mute

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#802 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

In character?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#803 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Altair

#804 Post by Altair » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Some legendary quotes buried in there though:
Cranky Old Academy Member wrote:Rami Malek is going to win — everywhere I've gone, Rami Malek was there; he's a very charming fellow. I've now spent more time with him than I have with my dog.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#805 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm

I didn’t find it too crackpot-y. In fact it’s rather nuanced about a lot of things and the strategic voting he describes is at least defensible.

knives

#806 Post by knives » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Brian C wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm
I didn’t find it too crackpot-y. In fact it’s rather nuanced about a lot of things and the strategic voting he describes is at least defensible.
Though his short doc comments feature a real howler.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#807 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm

This guy has worked with Olivia Colman--anyone care to guess who he is?

knives

#808 Post by knives » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm

An American for sure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#809 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm

AwardsWatch already deduced it was Steven Knight

knives

#810 Post by knives » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

That was my gut thought, but wouldn't he be in the writer's branch?

furbicide

#811 Post by furbicide » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm

That piece is so endemic of what’s wrong with the Oscars. Just to pick one of many egregious lines,
if I didn't know Olivia, I'd have voted for Yalitza [Aparicio of Roma], not because she gave a great performance — she didn't even give a performance, she existed onscreen — but because I can't imagine a more heartwarming moment in the history of the Academy Awards than if this woman went up there to get it.
I totally disagree – I think Aparicio gives a fine, understated performance – but voting for someone just so it would make for a more heartwarming moment for the television broadcast is a pretty superficial approach to the exercise (and the only reason he’s not doing so is the nepotistic desire to help out a friend).

Of course I have no doubt that a lot of Academy members do exactly the same thing. And that’s why the Oscars are a joke.

DarkImbecile

#812 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:43 pm

This is easily the most unpredictable year in the major categories I can remember, so I can be even more confident than usual in saying I'll get most of these wrong:

Best Picture:
Prediction: Roma (Obviously the horrorshow option here would be Green Book, but I would be pretty irritated — and maybe receptive to Disney/ABC conspiracy theories — if Black Panther won this)
My Pick (Nominees): Roma
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Hereditary (Totally get why it's divisive, just glad I'm on the right side of the divide)

Best Director:
Prediction: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma (As much as I love Roma, I'd honestly be fine with any of the four nominees — non-McKay division)
My Pick (Nominees): Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Lynne Ramsey, You Were Never Really Here (I don't think Ramsey goes three minutes in this film without making a remarkable choice)

Best Actress:
Prediction: Glenn Close, The Wife
My Pick (Nominees): Olivia Colman, The Favourite (Despite her role being the most "supporting" of the three leads, and actually my third-favorite — which illustrates how great the performances in this movie are)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Sakura Andô, Shoplifters (As great as Toni Collette is in Hereditary, this is the most emotionally devastating performance of the year)

Best Actor:
Prediction: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
My Pick (Nominees): Christian Bale, Vice (Really weak category; none of the nominees stir any strong feelings, except about Mortensen really not belonging in this group)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Ethan Hawke, First Reformed (As great as Joaquin Phoenix is in Ramsey's film, this is a more complicated, nuanced role and a career-best turn)

Best Supporting Actress:
Prediction: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
My Pick (Nominees): Rachel Weisz, The Favourite (Such a fantastic tightrope walk of a performance, keeping the audience from every really being able to make up its mind about her character while remaining alluring and entertaining throughout)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Anya Taylor-Joy, Thoroughbreds

Best Supporting Actor:
Prediction: Mahershala Ali, Green Book
My Pick (Nominees): Sam Elliott, A Star is Born (I keep going back and forth between Elliott and Driver, and today is an Elliott day; really remarkable how weak both Actor categories are relative to the Actresses)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Ben Foster, Leave No Trace (I love Nicholas Hoult in The Favourite as well, but this is probably the best role Foster will ever get playing off the persona he's been pigeonholed into)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Prediction: BlacKkKlansman (Can't wait for them to try to play Spike off)
My Pick (Nominees): Can You Ever Forgive Me? (I enjoyed BlacKkKlansman and Beale Street more overall, but that's almost all due to directing)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Annihilation

Best Original Screenplay:
Prediction: The Favourite
My Pick (Nominees): The Favourite (Passing up First Reformed is a horrible Sophie's choice, but these were the most well-constructed characters and entertaining dialogues of last year)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Hereditary

Best Cinematography: (Not seen: Never Look Away)
Prediction: Roma
My Pick (Nominees): Roma
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Roma

Best Foreign Language Film: (Not seen: Never Look Away)
Prediction: Roma
My Pick (Nominees): Roma (to be consistent, but if I could be certain it would win Best Picture I'd choose Shoplifters here)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Birds of Passage

Best Editing:
Prediction: Vice (Maybe? Just hoping it won't be Bohemian Rhapsody)
My Pick (Nominees): The Favourite
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Roma (long takes =/= no editing required)

Best Original Score:
Prediction: If Beale Street Could Talk (though I have less certainty about who will win this category than any other)
My Pick (Nominees): If Beale Street Could Talk
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Annihilation (though You Were Never Really Here and First Man were also robbed)

Best Original Song: (not seen: Mary Poppins Returns, RBG)
Prediction: "Shallow", A Star is Born
My Pick (Nominees): "Shallow"
My Pick (Non-Nominees): "Always Remember Us This Way", A Star is Born

Best Production Design: (not seen: Mary Poppins Returns)
Prediction: The Favourite
My Pick (Nominees): Roma (Such immersive recreation of specific places and eras deserves recognition)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Zama (Near-perfect evocation of a inescapable, Sartre-esque colonial nightmare)

Best Costume Design: (not seen: Mary Poppins Returns, Mary Queen of Scots)
Prediction: Black Panther
My Pick (Nominees): The Favourite (for Weisz' scar covering alone)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Zama

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: (not seen: Mary Poppins Returns)
Prediction: Vice
My Pick (Nominees): Border (I still have not settled exactly how I feel about this bizarre, off-putting film, but having seen the lead actress in person, I can attest that some excellent makeup work was done)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Hereditary

Visual Effects: (Not seen: Christopher Robin, Solo)
Prediction: First Man (Hoping that those who actually saw this will want it to win something)
My Pick (Nominees): First Man
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Annihilation

Sound Categories:
Prediction: Bohemian Rhapsody
My Pick (Nominees): One each for Roma and First Man (for mixing and editing respectively)
My Pick (Non-Nominees): Annihilation (for mixing) and Hereditary (for editing; getting the sound of piano wire sawing through spine just right is award-worthy)

Feego

#813 Post by Feego » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 pm

My predictions:

Picture: Roma
Director: Cuaron
Actor: Malek
Actress: Close
Supporting Actor: Ali
Supporting Actress: King
Animated Feature: Spider-Man
Cinematography: Roma
Costume Design: The Favourite
Documentary Feature: RBG
Film Editing: Vice
Foreign-Language Film: Roma
Makeup: Vice
Original Score: Black Panther
Original Song: "Shallow"
Production Design: The Favourite
Sound Editing: Black Panther
Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Visual Effects: Ready Player One
Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
Original Screenplay: The Favourite

dda1996a

#814 Post by dda1996a » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 am

Might be a truism, but just realized only Green Book, Vice and A Star is Born will and could be BP winners that don't herald anything should they win. I wonder what could happen going forward if either Black Panther or Roma wins
[Meant as far as Roma is the first Foreign language, Black Panther is a superhero, Favorite a weird lesbian royalty film, Blackkklansman a sort of blaxploitation and a Spike Lee film and Bohemian with the whole Singer thing]

colinr0380

#815 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm
This guy has worked with Olivia Colman--anyone care to guess who he is?
knives wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm
An American for sure.
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm
AwardsWatch already deduced it was Steven Knight
Darn, I was going to guess Gyles Brandreth!

criterionoop

#816 Post by criterionoop » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:28 pm

My Predictions (I've seen all nominees, including shorts):
Best Picture - ROMA
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron (ROMA)
Best Actor in A Leading Role - Rami Malek (BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY)
Best Actress in A Leading Role - Glenn Close (THE WIFE)
Best Actor in A Supporting Role - Mahershala Ali (GREEN BOOK)
Best Actress in A Supporting Role - Regina King (IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK)
Best Adapted Screenplay - BLACKKKLANSMAN
Best Animated Feature - SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
Best Animated Short - "Bao"
Best Cinematography - ROMA
Best Costume Design - THE FAVOURITE
Best Documentary Feature - FREE SOLO
Best Documentary Short - "End Game"
Best Film Editing - VICE
Best Foreign Language Film - ROMA
Best Live Action Short - "Marguerite"
Best Makeup and Hairstyling - VICE
Best Original Screenplay - THE FAVOURITE
Best Original Score - IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Best Original Song - "Shallow" from A STAR IS BORN
Best Production Design - THE FAVOURITE
Best Sound Editing - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Best Sound Mixing - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Best Visual Effects - AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

Tallies:
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - 1
BLACKKKLANSMAN - 1
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - 3
THE FAVOURITE - 3
GREEN BOOK - 1
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 2
ROMA - 4
A STAR IS BORN - 1
VICE - 2
THE WIFE - 1

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#817 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, the telecast recouped a couple of those precious minutes, as Kendrick Lamar has declined performing and they won’t be having anyone else do it

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#818 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:20 pm

The Oscars have done so much irreparable harm to their brand this year, and it seems that the hits keep coming

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#819 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 pm

All it’s going to take it kowtowing to popular favorites by awarding either Bohemian Rhapsody or Black Panther Best Picture to top this whole year over, and either is possible/plausible

DarkImbecile

#820 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 am

Richard Brody’s Oscar predictions, observations, and oddities like (my emphasis):
Foreign-Language Film

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

The worst category this year, and a reliably unsatisfying one because of the Academy’s absurd self-imposed rule to let an official board in each country choose its nominees. In some countries, films by opponents of the government are guaranteed to be pushed aside; in others, audacious work is overlooked in favor of presumptively popular titles. The Lebanese director Nadine Labaki’s “Capernaum,” with its bitter vision of stifling traditions reducing girls to chattel and of migrants and refugees subjected to exploitation and blackmail—and its framework of an indignant, independent-minded boy’s existential challenge to an impossible order—is slightly better than the others, but it won’t win; odd to think that “Roma,” already likely for Best Picture, would win here, too. My guess is that “Cold War,” with its postcard version of history, will win.
Really? Worse than the category with an Avengers movie and a Winnie the Pooh movie?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#821 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 am

Well I can't say I disagree with him about the stupidity of the selection process for the foreign films, but this is the thing he gets worked up over? During this Oscars?

Big Ben

#822 Post by Big Ben » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:14 am

Foreign film is something the Academy has really messed up for a considerable amount of time and we all know that but I cannot fathom why Brody is so worked up over this very specific, longstanding issue when other more topical buffoonery is occurring within the Academy.

Dr Amicus

#823 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:41 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 am
Really? Worse than the category with an Avengers movie and a Winnie the Pooh movie?
Christopher Robin is far from a great film - it's really muddled as to who it's audience is and isn't a patch on either Paddington - but it's nominated for Visual Effects, and those are definitely worthy of nomination. Winnie the Pooh and the other characters from 100 Acre Wood are beautifully done and utterly convincing.

As for Best Picture, I'm woefully behind this year - but both Mrs Amicus and her best friend LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody and are waiting to see it again at our Community Centre (which doubles as a second run Cinema). But just from reports - so can't offer any personal preferences, but I really would not be surprised at a Black Panther win especially considering the voting method used (which I think also gives BlacKKKlansman a really good chance).

Aunt Peg

#824 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 am
Richard Brody’s Oscar predictions, observations, and oddities like (my emphasis):
Foreign-Language Film

“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

The worst category this year, and a reliably unsatisfying one because of the Academy’s absurd self-imposed rule to let an official board in each country choose its nominees. In some countries, films by opponents of the government are guaranteed to be pushed aside; in others, audacious work is overlooked in favor of presumptively popular titles. The Lebanese director Nadine Labaki’s “Capernaum,” with its bitter vision of stifling traditions reducing girls to chattel and of migrants and refugees subjected to exploitation and blackmail—and its framework of an indignant, independent-minded boy’s existential challenge to an impossible order—is slightly better than the others, but it won’t win; odd to think that “Roma,” already likely for Best Picture, would win here, too. My guess is that “Cold War,” with its postcard version of history, will win.
Whilst I have yet to see Never Look Away, for me Shoplifters is the only film with any merit of the remaining four. I'd say the worst line-up is best actor. If a were an Academy member I'd leave that one blank.

dda1996a

#825 Post by dda1996a » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 am

I like at least three out of those, even if I don't love any of them. But BF is by far the most interesting category, both usually and especially this year.