2006 Non-CC Awards Results

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jt

#1 Post by jt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 am

Non-CC Release of the year

1. Faust (MoC)

2= Quay Brothers: Short Films (BFI)
2= The Conformist (Paramount)
2= The Passenger (Sony)
5. Kwaidan (MoC)
6. L'Armee des Ombres (BFI)
7= Naruse: Volume One (MoC)
7= Satantango (AE)
8= Cache (AE)
8= Funeral Parade of Roses (MOC)
8= Ozu vol 3 (Tartan)
8= Paris Nous Appartient (BFI)
8= Sir Arne's Treasure (Kino)

Over 40 films received multiple votes and a further 70 got a single mention. Quite a diverse selection.

Best Non-CC Commentary

1= L'Armee des Ombres
1= Funeral Parade of Roses
1= Quay Brothers

Best Non-CC Single Supplement

Kwaidan Book

Best Non-CC Package Design

1= Quay Brothers
1= Faust

Overall DVD of the year (Including CC)

Faust
(just beating Seven Samurai CC)

Narshty

#2 Post by Narshty » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:17 am

Tommaso

#3 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 am

Great! Although they mistakenly say that this poll here was 'announced by Criterion'. No, it wasn't, and if I see correctly, this forum isn't maintained by Criterion themselves, is it?

Scharphedin2

#4 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:17 am

I was thinking the same; I am sure that there is no official connection between this forum and Criterion. But, it would be fun, if someone would post the origins and history of this forum. several previous incarnations are constantly alluded to, and maybe at some point there was a direct relationship...?!

The praise of BFI is well deserved. They always released interesting titles in the past, but in the second half of 2006, they just took a quantum leap forward, both with respect to transfers, extras, and packaging (or, so it seemed to me anyway).

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:Several previous incarnations are constantly alluded to, and maybe at some point there was a direct relationship...?!
Nope. Never.

The brief history is that there used to be a Usenet group about Criterion, then a guy named Andrew started a website with a forum (CriterionDVD.com) that was really awesome. Then the forums became too popular and expensive to maintain properly, so he moved them to ezboard. Eventually, he went on to law school and the website went down and the forums went to seed, so I started a different forum on ezboard. Everyone migrated to that forum. Then, because ezboard was so poorly run and damn expensive if you wanted to avoid pop-up ads, we got server space and installed the phpbb software and created this version of the forum. Unfortunately, the forum has completely crashed twice, forcing us to start over mostly from scratch. This current edition has been in existence since November 2004.
Last edited by Matt on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrSchreck

#6 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 pm

The most that can be said for CC's use of the site is they popped shit about the True Foe's softball battles in and about our park system here in NYC.

jt

#7 Post by jt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:24 am

I don't work for the bfi, honest. (although if they were to make me an offer...)

Nice to know that we are read by people in the right places.

And let me personally agree with the praise that the bfi are getting. They have always had a good catalogue but recently with the titles that made the list, not to mention Women of the Dunes, The Innocents, Man With a Movie Camera, the Dreyer's etc... they seem to be taking packaging and extras even more seriously in an attempt to compete with CC and MoC.

More of the same please. (well...perhaps without the rigid £19.99 price structure..?)