DVD Cataloguing Software

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kevyip1

#26 Post by kevyip1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm

The Invunche wrote:Beyond the Rocks?
Thanks... Now what tool did you use to find that info??

The Invunche

#27 Post by The Invunche » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:59 pm

Google. It's on the interweb, all the kids are using it.

kevyip1

#28 Post by kevyip1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 am

And how many hours did you browse through the results? Marty has done tons of DVD bonus features. The point is these DVD catalog tools need to be designed the way I said it should be earlier! Now, go googling and find me a tool like that, ha ha...

The Invunche

#29 Post by The Invunche » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am

It was quite simple. I took the information from your posts and googled for:
"Martin Scorsese introduction" silent DVD
That gave me as few as 8 hits and it didn't take more than 2 minutes to find the right one.

kevyip1

#30 Post by kevyip1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:45 am

At first I didn't know it was a silent and it took me a long time. The point is Google is not perfect, and I've been using it since probably long before you were born, and it's taking me longer and longer to find things because the web is getting bigger and more chaotic. Now everyone repeat after me: WE NEED A BETTER DESIGNED DVD CATALOGUING TOOL.

The Invunche

#31 Post by The Invunche » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:50 am

All that time and you still suck at the Internet.

kevyip1

#32 Post by kevyip1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Having a well-designed cataloguing tool is better than searching a needlle through a haystack of a chaotic and disorderly internet, don't you agree?? I think even a backward European ape of a watered down species that has long outlived your usefulness ever since your ancestors swam to America should be able to comprehend that...

The Invunche

#33 Post by The Invunche » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Nah, I'll just Google. It works faster for me. If you're nice and stop PM'ing me, old man, I might even teach you how.

nyasa

#34 Post by nyasa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:26 pm

kevyip1 wrote: I think even a backward European ape of a watered down species that has long outlived your usefulness ever since your ancestors swam to America should be able to comprehend that.
Why would the Invunche's ancestors be swimming to America?

tryavna

#35 Post by tryavna » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm

nyasa wrote:
kevyip1 wrote:I think even a backward European ape of a watered down species that has long outlived your usefulness ever since your ancestors swam to America should be able to comprehend that.
Why would the Invunche's ancestors be swimming to America?
Maybe they were sent back...? Or he really is in America and just pretends to be in Europe...?

Complex insults are tricky to keep logical.

dx23

#36 Post by dx23 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:02 pm

The Invunche wrote:All that time and you still suck at the Internet.
It would have been better if you used this:

The Invunche

#37 Post by The Invunche » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm

That is true.

Matt

#38 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:25 pm

Yeah, I can't understand why no one has developed a really simple, flexible tool for cataloging DVDs. I want something web-based that will allow me to catalog all of my books, DVDs, and CDs. Why does that not exist? Is every programmer trying to develop the next Myspace?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:05 pm

now's the time to register MyShelfSpace.com

academyleader

#40 Post by academyleader » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Catvids is worth a look for anyone who wants a more flexible cataloging format.

Kinsayder

#41 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:48 pm

Nadsat wrote:Why don't try DVDpedia, a program that I highly recommend :)
Seconded. The deciding factor for me was the ability to grab info and images from 20 international sites, including IMDb and 6 Amazons. The developers are very responsive and usually update the software within hours if one of the sites changes their format.

Awesome Welles

#42 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 am

At the moment I am using Excel to catalogue, I only catalogue Title, Director, Year, Country and Genre. I will include feature length documentaries and shorts but once I have seen them I tend to delete the shorts, they're there intially to remind me I own them and to watch them.

What I would really like it a catalogue of the commentaries I have yet to listen to so then I could make a priority list of what to extract (and listen as an MP3) as my situation stands I don't listen to any as I have no idea what commentaries I have (unless I buy a new DVD and listen to it shortly after having purchased).

What I would be interested to hear is how do people arrange their DVDs specifically all in one place? My DVDs are currently taking over my lounge like a plague and my books are having to be moved. I have decided that I will move all the DVDs to another room, but doing this takes up a lot of space (750 DVDs appx). Does anyone have any ingenious tips or advice of great storage systems?

jedgeco

#43 Post by jedgeco » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:23 pm

academyleader wrote:Catvids is worth a look for anyone who wants a more flexible cataloging format.
I've been using this for about 5 years, and it's a solid program. I've been a little disappointed, though, that the more versions go by, the harder time it seems to have downloading DVD features off the internet.

Paul Moran

#44 Post by Paul Moran » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:51 pm

I now use Access 2002 (which came with my Microsoft Office Professional 2002 software).

My db is not perfect, but it does what I want. I'm only an amateur, although I've been using dbs for a long time. (I taught myself to program with dBase 3 Plus in the early 90s.)

I like the flexibility of having my own db. It also keeps details of home recordings, movies watched but not owned, and my wish list, and lets me monitor o/s orders etc. (I buy a lot of DVDs from many sites, and record/watch a lot of old movies on TV).

And I like messing about with dbs, too. :oops:

Kinsayder

#45 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 pm

FSimeoni wrote:What I would be interested to hear is how do people arrange their DVDs specifically all in one place? My DVDs are currently taking over my lounge like a plague and my books are having to be moved. I have decided that I will move all the DVDs to another room, but doing this takes up a lot of space (750 DVDs appx). Does anyone have any ingenious tips or advice of great storage systems?
The radical solution that I've adopted is to bin the keepcases and put the discs into paper sleeves that are then filed under director name. The sleeves, filing boxes and index cards are all pretty cheap to buy from office suppliers, and a collection that used to occupy the best part of two rooms now fits into a cupboard.

HarryLime

#46 Post by HarryLime » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Nadsat, thanks for the DVDpedia recommendation. True, the UPC scanner doesn't work worth a damn, but I'm finding the interface and organization a lot more productive than any of the others I've tried.

Awesome Welles

#47 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Kinsayder wrote:
FSimeoni wrote:What I would be interested to hear is how do people arrange their DVDs specifically all in one place?
The radical solution that I've adopted is to bin the keepcases and put the discs into paper sleeves that are then filed under director name. The sleeves, filing boxes and index cards are all pretty cheap to buy from office suppliers, and a collection that used to occupy the best part of two rooms now fits into a cupboard.
I have to admit that does sound absolutely great but would I want to chuck all the keep cases? No. I think the only way I would ever do this is if I had a DVD jukebox which could hold, say 1000 DVDs. I think I'd keep all the DVDs in the juke box (chuck the rest) and I could click play at anytime with no fuss. But I think the cases are nice to look at when considering a title, it's always a pleasure to see the cover art again as I slide the DVD off the shelf. I think if I could detach myself from the design details it would all become a little superfluous but with my anal nature I doubt this is possible. I'll just wait for the 1000 DVD jukebox...

Ted Todorov

#48 Post by Ted Todorov » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:03 pm

HarryLime wrote:Nadsat, thanks for the DVDpedia recommendation. True, the UPC scanner doesn't work worth a damn, but I'm finding the interface and organization a lot more productive than any of the others I've tried.
If you can get a hold of a USB :Cue:Cat, that the best way to scan barcodes with DVDPedia.
Matt wrote:Yeah, I can't understand why no one has developed a really simple, flexible tool for cataloging DVDs. I want something web-based that will allow me to catalog all of my books, DVDs, and CDs. Why does that not exist? Is every programmer trying to develop the next Myspace
Book/CD/DVDPedia is simple, flexible tool that will catalog, get info from the web and publish your catalog to the web if you so desire. The software itself isn't web based, but so what? Native software is usually much better than something web-based. Even Google Earth heavily depends on a native program running on your computer.

mario gauci

#49 Post by mario gauci » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:10 pm

I used to keep an meticulously updated database of all those R1 and R2 DVDs of films which were of interest to me - released between the dawn of the DVD format to those announced upcoming titles - but, following a recent computer crash, I lost the whole damn thing!

So, what is the easiest and yet most trustworthy way to go about compiling such a database again? I know I can always check the websites of the individual DVD labels like Criterion, Blue Underground, etc. or do a search for a particular actor or director on the websites of my DVD retailers of choice but, does anybody know of an easier method?

Thanks for any replies provided.

Antares

#50 Post by Antares » Sun May 11, 2008 12:22 am

To those of you who are using DVDProfiler, Ken has just added the ability to add links for DVD associated web pages for the profiles in your collection.