1030 Scorsese Shorts

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
The Elegant Dandy Fop

#26 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:27 am

Cinephrenic wrote:First Battleship Potemkin and now this? I never figured out Kino-Criterion's relationship. Are they just friends with benefits or what?
Hope not. Image is a great partner. Why waste benefits with ugly old Kino just because Kino puts out? Image does a better job!

souvenir

#27 Post by souvenir » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:33 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Just for interest, apparently Kino (!) International is releasing 5 short films of Scorsese at the New Beverly Cinema here in L.A. ...

Does this mean Criterion lost hope on these? Here's hoping no!
It might be worth noting that Kino International have released theatrically several films that ended up in the Criterion Collection. Ivan's Childhood, M, and Pandora's Box all played at the recent Lincoln Center tribute to Kino's 30th Anniversary.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#28 Post by Tribe » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:19 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Does this mean Criterion lost hope on these? Here's hoping no!
For a very long time Kino distributed some films that would end up on Criterion theatrically. I don't know how that relationship has changed. However, I think we've had some pretty strong clues over the years regarding a Criterion release of these films so I don't think we need to be too concerned.

Tribe

Jeff

#29 Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Scorsese himself is the owner of the films. I'm sure that he has just licensed them to Kino for theatrical distribution and Criterion for home video.

TheGodfather

#30 Post by TheGodfather » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Jeff wrote:Scorsese himself is the owner of the films. I'm sure that he has just licensed them to Kino for theatrical distribution and Criterion for home video.
I really hope that he did and that he doesn`t let Kino put it out on dvd as well!

glaswegian tome

#31 Post by glaswegian tome » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Nope, Criterion is still handling these. I asked about them as an aside in an email I sent. Good news.
Tamara wrote:Thanks for your email! Your kind words and support mean a lot to us. We do intend to release some of Martin Scorsese's short films on DVD, but a release date for that hasn't been scheduled yet. Please keep checking back!

LightBulbFilm

#32 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:19 pm

A new short/advertisement by Martin Scorsese has surfaced.

In this, Scorsese shoots what seems to be a "lost Hitchcock script".

It's quite remarkable actually, it looks so much like a Hitchcock film.

I could see this being thrown on this DVD as well.

Cinephrenic

#33 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:52 pm

I loved it. Especially the ending.

Jeff

#34 Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:30 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:A new short/advertisement by Martin Scorsese has surfaced.
Let's try to keep discussion of this over here.

Awesome Welles

#35 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:41 am

In all fairness I wouldn't have looked on the commercials page so I'm glad I got to see it. I loved it!

LightBulbFilm

Re: The Short Films of Martin Scorsese

#36 Post by LightBulbFilm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:50 am

My email to Jonathan Turrel:
A bout a year and a half ago I asked you about Martin Scorsese shorts like Italian/American and The Big Shave and other shorts never released on DVD and you guys said that you had plans to release them. Are you still planning to do so? Are they coming soon? Thanks for any info.
His response:
Hi -

Yes, it's coming but not on the schedule. Sorry I don't have a more detailed answer.

All best,

Jonathan

Derek Estes

#37 Post by Derek Estes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:55 pm

So I was this was taken off the forthcoming list. What happened?

Cinephrenic

#38 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 pm

It's not coming according to Turell interview from Criterion. My guess is that they probably didn't think it would be a hot seller and probably have better chance in getting these out on a Scorsese feature as extras, however unlikely that is. They should re-issue The Last Temptation of Christ on Blu-ray and add these shorts IMO.

tajmahal

#39 Post by tajmahal » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:It's not coming according to Turell interview from Criterion. My guess is that they probably didn't think it would be a hot seller and probably have better chance in getting these out on a Scorsese feature as extras, however unlikely that is. They should re-issue The Last Temptation of Christ on Blu-ray and add these shorts IMO.
I dunno. If Schizopolis can get a release, I'd reckon a Scorsese shorts collection would be less of a 'vanity project' gamble.

Matt

#40 Post by Matt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:32 pm

tajmahal wrote:I dunno. If Schizopolis can get a release, I'd reckon a Scorsese shorts collection would be less of a 'vanity project' gamble.
That was then. This is now.

bradass

#41 Post by bradass » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:56 pm

The project would probably require a lot of Scorsese's attention. Maybe they've been trying to squeeze him in but he's just too damn busy. I'm sure it's still coming, just not for a lllllllong time.

John Edmond

#42 Post by John Edmond » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 pm

In July Madman are releasing 5 of Scorsese's Shorts in Australia. I'm guessing it'll just be a duplicate of the previously mentioned Wildside release - featuring Italianamerican, American Boy, What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This, It's Not Just You Murray, and The Big Shave.

Apperson

Re: 1030 Scorsese Shorts

#43 Post by Apperson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

I feel like that Aster-Safdie discussion was made specifically for Film Twitter.

Would love to get this but I doubt the U.K branch would release a collection of Docs and Shorts despite the name brand.

therewillbeblus

#44 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:21 pm

I've only seen Italianamerican which I didn't really care for, but I'm curious about the student films

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#45 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:31 pm

American Boy is the highlight here for me--you might recognize its subject from either Taxi Driver (the guy who sells Bickle his guns) or Waking Life (guy with the crazy gun story at the bar)

knives

#46 Post by knives » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm

I'll second Swo. The other films are fairly generic student films, but that ones a fairly crazy monologue only one upped for why it got made.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#47 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:05 pm

I think the student films have their own merit too. 99% of the student films I see are terrible, even by filmmakers I love. But It's Not Just You, Murray! is the best student film I've seen. It really shows Scorsese play into his cinephila by digging into the history of cinema and using every technique he can pull out of his hat twenty-five years before he did it in Goodfellas. What's a Nice Girl also feels close to what the real Scorsese is like. Although he tends to make films with very masculine, often violent protagonists, this feels closer to the anxious, neurotic, New Yorker he really is.

therewillbeblus

#48 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

All this is heartening enthusiasm - I'm excited to see American Boy though I'm hoping the "More" or conversation with Farran Smith Nehme goes into the details of whatever the story behind it is, as you are alluding to knives and has me curious

knives

#49 Post by knives » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm

In short the film was made so that it would be easier for Scorsese to get coke. An engaging speaker could make it into a great story on its own.

therewillbeblus

#50 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Well that makes a lot of sense and I should have put two and two together, though I highly doubt we'll get a supplement on that even with Scorsese being quite open about his substance use history