Alejandro Jodorowsky

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
criterionsnob

Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky

#76 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but Fando y Lis is coming to blu-ray in fall 2014, according to an insert in the Dance of Reality blu-ray.

nolanoe

#77 Post by nolanoe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 am

That is spectacular news, if true. I have not seen this one yet, I was waiting for this.
Now, all I need is the dreaded "Tusk" to turn up.

Tommaso

#78 Post by Tommaso » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:So I saw The Dance of Reality this week. I would say that I was pleasantly surprised by it. Most of the reviews I've read are fairly accurate with the Fellini comparisons. It's still very out there but less stream of consciousness. It's an autobiography told in a way that allows Jodorowsky to make his family what he wishes they had been. So in that way it's surprisingly moving..
I've seen it now, too, and while I can see where the Fellini comparisons come from, I'd still say the circus aspects and the 'freaks' come entirely from Jodorowsky's world. While I don't know anything about Jodorowsky's family story, this strikes me as a very compassionate film, perhaps even idealising the father a bit too much while nevertheless showing his cruelty and sadistic streaks before he undergoes his transformation. The best part of the film is the first third, mainly concentrating on the boy Alejandro and his spriritual loneliness and then what amounts to some sort of 'awakening'. This part has so many different levels and esoteric undercurrents that other directors would have made a whole three hour film of it. Somewhat unfortunately, the film becomes a bit more conventional later on when it largely follows the story of the father; I thought that the story of young Alejandro was far more interesting. In any case, I really found the moments in which the old Jodorowsky appears himself as a sort of guide to his younger self deeply touching, and not at all self-regarding like it might have been in lesser hands. And the whole film of course is filled with visualisations and expressions of Jodorowsky's arcane philosophy, but thankfully it never becomes preachy.

Not his greatest film, but a visual treat in any case, and a mature work thankfully without any obvious shock effects, and perhaps in some way a summing-up of his work and thinking. In this respect it may be comparable to Cocteau's "Testament d'Orphée". But I really hope this won't be his last film; he simply looks too lively in this film, and I think he might have some more to say.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#79 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Jodorowsky's autobiographical novel "Where the Bird Sings Best" is getting an English translation, due March 2015

Raymond Marble

#80 Post by Raymond Marble » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Jodo is starting a Kickstarter for his new film, Endless Poetry, on Sunday, 2/15, and is doing a live introduction of the project here on that day. Endless Poetry is to be a follow-up to The Dance of Reality, this time focusing on his young adulthood as a Chilean poet.

Raymond Marble

#81 Post by Raymond Marble » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10 am

And here's a link to the above referenced Kickstarter campaign, which started this morning. I was hoping a stretch goal would be for him to make Dune... oh well.

colinr0380

#82 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:32 am

The Dance of Reality was fascinating, kind of an anti-rose tinted view of childhood crossed with a comedy and a musical! There felt like an El Topo kind of structure to the film of a threatening masculine prescence having his impassive facade shattered by going through a crisis, eventually losing himself and getting adopted by various other groups or causes roaming the lands (including a religious group), before in a roundabout way coming back to himself. I wondered whether this was building on themes from Jodorowsky's previous films or, given that this is an autobiographical piece based on his upbringing and his father, could this be seen as illustrating the ur-text from which the preoccupations in his other films sprung from? Or is it a bit of both? Using imagery discovered over his career in order to tackle this material, and working on a subject of his early life that makes more sense when approached as an older man facing death looking back on how his life was guided early on?

There feels like a constant theme of loss and things being taken from our main character (at first the boy, later his father) that suggests even from the moment of childhood we are living in a constant battle of life against death and the bigger forces that shape our lives. Perhaps that is just a fact of life, like death itself, and without that constant loss there would be no chance for nostalgia and memory. It is interesting though that while the boy and the father lose many things throughout the course of the film (the hair, the use of the hands and so on), at least the mother never loses her operatic voice. It would seem that there would truly be a crisis if that occurred, but she, and her great pair of lungs, is able to keep pulling her family back together in the worst times, despite having very Umbrellas of Cherbourg-esque lamenting scenes or a moment in which she eye-poppingly performs a miracle that outdoes Nicole Kidman's big scene from The Paperboy!

But it is also extremely bizarre and blackly comic throughout. I'm torn between my favourite scene being the one in which Alejandro gives his expensive new red shoes to the local indigenous shoeshine boy, who delightedly dances off in his own musical number reverie! Only for it to turn out that the red shoes, Hans Christian Andersen-style, danced the boy straight off the slippery rocks into the sea and drowned him! Or the moment of the attempted assassination of the country's leader taking place at a dog fancy dress show! With both a price for the 'best dressed' dog ("the butterfly dog!") and the 'worst dressed' one ("the kangaroo dog", with a chorus of boos accompanying the forlorn dog's walk up to the podium, while it trips over its fabric kangaroo tail!), with the failed assassin declaring solemnly, and with hilarious straight-faced philosophical, political and metaphorical symbolism, that "I don't want to live any more in a world where people dress dogs up in costumes" before he shoots himself! In front of the string quartet of nuns no less!

There is also a rather interesting moment during the late scenes in which the father Jaime is brutally tortured in which all of the torturers are dressed in black suits like characters from Reservoir Dogs! According to the interviews on the disc, this was apparently Jodorowsky's way of alluding to alleged CIA involvement in the torture of political prisoners in Chile.

flyonthewall2983

#83 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 am

pzadvance wrote:I thought it was a very fun "what-if" movie, but the interviews were a little too one-sided for me. Everyone involved is just fawning over this project in the most hyperbolic terms imaginable, then wildly speculating as to the potential impact it might have left on the industry. The truth of the matter is it's easy to idealize a project like this that never even got in front of the cameras--just looking at all the potentially volatile ingredients, any number of factors could have coalesced during production and post that would have prevented this from being the lost masterpiece everybody in the film expected it to be. It's highly likely it would have come out the other end just as compromised and half-realized as Lynch's Dune. Who's to say?
It seemed to me that Jodorowsky and his producers were incredibly naive when it came to dealing with how to deal with that knotty problem that is Hollywood, with regards to everything except the book which laid out the ideas with seemingly incredible detail. It's actually quite understandable how the studios (even in the supposedly more open 1970's) would balk at investing in someone who was only known for very arty films with little to no commercial sensibility.

I'd actually like it if they spent more talking about the book, and who ended up with it, because it's undeniable that some of the visual ideas expressed would wind up in major movies later on. And maybe if they actually got someone from the Pink Floyd camp talking about their conversations with Jodorowsky.

zedz

Re: The Films of 2016

#84 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:42 pm

I assumed that Jodorowsky's The Dance of Reality would have had its own thread, or Jodorowsky himself, but not according to the search function, so I'll briefly comment on Endless Poetry here. It's the continuation of The Dance of Reality and just as bloated, narcissistic and ridiculous, but at least it's entertainingly insane, so if you were a fan of the first film, you'll lap this up. Random absurdities abound (a nazi on stilts adorns the edge of a crowd scene, a flasher has a chicken-head cock; characters collapse face-first into sponge cakes in response to a family tragedy; a giant floating head of Your Dad shouting "faggot!" when you write a line of verse), dwarves and Mexican wrestlers swarm about, black-swathed bunraku stagehands supply and remove props, the auteur / protagonist repeatedly protests / demonstrates that he's "not a faggot" amidst a big seething mess of peculiar (and peculiarly old-fashioned) homophobia: just another day at Jodorowsky Central. The emblematic scene (spoiler, I guess?) is when Jodorowsky ends up as a (mediocre) circus clown, but halts his act to deliver a personal monologue that climaxes with his declaration "I'm not really a clown; I'm a POET!" Cue rapturous applause from thousands of delighted circusgoers, Jodorowsky stripping naked, crowdsurfing. And that's not even remotely the silliest scene. Oh, and you want the perfect response to any unwanted pick-up line? How about: "I am saving my hymen for a man with a holy forehead who will descend from the mountains"? They never stopped making bad movies, but only Jodorowsky makes bad movies like this.

colinr0380

#85 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Here's the general Jodorowsky thread. It sounds that at least there's stuff here to match up to the canine fancy dress contest philosophical assassination/suicide scene ("I don't want to live any more in a world where people dress dogs up in costumes") from The Dance of Reality at least!

The Narrator Returns

#86 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 pm

How's Christopher Doyle's work on Endless Poetry? The idea of the any of the things zedz described being shot by Doyle is making me very eager to see this.

zedz

#87 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Here's the general Jodorowsky thread. It sounds that at least there's stuff here to match up to the canine fancy dress contest philosophical assassination/suicide scene ("I don't want to live any more in a world where people dress dogs up in costumes") from The Dance of Reality at least!
I thought there must have been a dedicated thread, but I checked again and searching for "Jodorowsky" in "Topic Titles" still comes up with no matches. Has the search function on this board ever worked properly?

zedz

#88 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:How's Christopher Doyle's work on Endless Poetry? The idea of the any of the things zedz described being shot by Doyle is making me very eager to see this.
Pretty anonymous, actually. Looked an awful lot like The Dance of Reality (perhaps even less flashy), and I was frankly surprised to see his credit at the end of the film. It's a far cry from cinematographer-as-auteur films like Motel Cactus, but it's very nicely shot nevertheless.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 pm

zedz wrote:Has the search function on this board ever worked properly?
Criterion Forum Search Mechanism wrote:
Search Results wrote:Can't wait to watch Berenice Bejo in the Search when I get off work!

Numero Trois

#90 Post by Numero Trois » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:53 am

By far the most reliable message board search method is google -
Jodorowsky site:criterionforum.org

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:39 pm

This is a thing that exists-- for when those losers who buy Margot Robbie dolls get a little more self-conscious but still want to buy an expensive toy, I guess

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#92 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Wasn't the Robbie doll lifesize? This is just over a foot--could make for a nice collectible if you're a big fan of the movie.

Big Ben

#93 Post by Big Ben » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm no art critic but there's no way in hell I'm paying that much for a sculpture that looks like that.

Raymond Marble

#94 Post by Raymond Marble » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Endless Poetry is coming out in the U.K. on blu-ray on March 6th; if I'm not mistaken, it hasn't even had its U.S. premiere yet. I wonder what the delay is stateside on this one.

knives

#95 Post by knives » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 pm

zedz wrote:I assumed that Jodorowsky's The Dance of Reality would have had its own thread, or Jodorowsky himself, but not according to the search function, so I'll briefly comment on Endless Poetry here. It's the continuation of The Dance of Reality and just as bloated, narcissistic and ridiculous, but at least it's entertainingly insane, so if you were a fan of the first film, you'll lap this up. Random absurdities abound (a nazi on stilts adorns the edge of a crowd scene, a flasher has a chicken-head cock; characters collapse face-first into sponge cakes in response to a family tragedy; a giant floating head of Your Dad shouting "faggot!" when you write a line of verse), dwarves and Mexican wrestlers swarm about, black-swathed bunraku stagehands supply and remove props, the auteur / protagonist repeatedly protests / demonstrates that he's "not a faggot" amidst a big seething mess of peculiar (and peculiarly old-fashioned) homophobia: just another day at Jodorowsky Central. The emblematic scene (spoiler, I guess?) is when Jodorowsky ends up as a (mediocre) circus clown, but halts his act to deliver a personal monologue that climaxes with his declaration "I'm not really a clown; I'm a POET!" Cue rapturous applause from thousands of delighted circusgoers, Jodorowsky stripping naked, crowdsurfing. And that's not even remotely the silliest scene. Oh, and you want the perfect response to any unwanted pick-up line? How about: "I am saving my hymen for a man with a holy forehead who will descend from the mountains"? They never stopped making bad movies, but only Jodorowsky makes bad movies like this.
I actually like Dance of Reality a whole lot, but this was not good. The silliness and absurdity are actually pretty boring and straightforward in the context of the Chilean and Mexican theater that Jodorowsky has spent a career cribbing from. The biggest problem of the film though is that AJ is a pretty dull character and discovering the '50s/ '60s experimental art scene is probably the most boring thing possible.

It is funny to hear Standing Cheek to Cheek here (during a sex scene with a dwarf who has the same legs as Arquette in Crash) after also hearing it in Boss Baby which of course is about as opposite a film as could be imagined.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#96 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm

New York's El Museo del Barrio cancels a Jodorowsky show over concern about a nearly 50-year-old interview in which the the director claimed to have actually raped Maria Lorenzio on camera in El Topo.

black&huge

#97 Post by black&huge » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:01 pm
New York's El Museo del Barrio cancels a Jodorowsky show over concern about a nearly 50-year-old interview in which the the director claimed to have actually raped Maria Lorenzio on camera in El Topo.
Was waiting a while to see how that would come back to light.

Cremildo

#98 Post by Cremildo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:40 pm

Was that an acceptable thing to admit to publicly 50 years ago?

knives

#99 Post by knives » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm

Only if you were an artiste. Wait till people who are now into James Baldwin discover his defense of Burroughs murdering his wife as art.
Last edited by knives on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

All this proves is that people were edgelords long before the internet was around