Criterion and Warner Bros.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
giovannii84

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#351 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Drucker wrote:I don't know why we don't have more Renoir from Criterion. The Boudu blu ray has been out for years now on Park Circus and looks great. La Bete Humaine was recently restored. The Technicolor Elena and her Men and French Can Can have European blu-rays. And of course, The River has a blu-ray from Carlotta...
Un Partie de Campagne needs a spine number. It's on hulu, & they've been sitting on it for ages. The Australian DVD release has some supplants they could use if they needed extras

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#352 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:02 pm

At least that has a release somewhere in the world! (BFI) I'm dying to see Crime de Monseiur Lange!

souvenir

#353 Post by souvenir » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Really interesting that Archive DVD-Rs of The Breaking Point, Blow-Up, Barcelona and Kurosawa's Dreams are included in this week's OOP list

J M Powell

#354 Post by J M Powell » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:27 pm

souvenir wrote:Really interesting that Archive DVD-Rs of The Breaking Point, Blow-Up, Barcelona and Kurosawa's Dreams are included in this week's OOP list
Very exciting possibilities here, especially seeing as the WAC DVD-R of "Blow-Up" is less than a month old. Where did you find this list?

ianungstad

#355 Post by ianungstad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:57 pm

http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2 ... ort3by=ASC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vidussoni

#356 Post by vidussoni » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Interesting to see Breaking Point and Murder, My Sweet also on that list. Could explain the Edward Dmytryk and Michael Curtiz phantom pages.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#357 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Murder My Sweet just made the transition to the Archives, so doubtful on that core. We know Stillman's been pushing for a Criterion release of Barcelona, so maybe on that one. And yes, that could be the Curtiz they went after as well

captveg

#358 Post by captveg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:30 pm

I would hope Criterion gets Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, too. They could also license Before Midnight from Sony and release a box set.

giovannii84

#359 Post by giovannii84 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Notice 'Roots' is on that list too. Would be cool to get a criterion box set release of that.

flyonthewall2983

#360 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 pm

It looks like Amazon doesn't have The Player in stock. Maybe going OOP soon?
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#361 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Every version of it including the recent three-pack with Body Heat and LA Confidential is OOP on MMM

Calvin

#362 Post by Calvin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:59 pm

As Warner seemingly aren't going to release it themselves, I wonder if Criterion licensed John Ford's 7 Women.

Harmonov

#363 Post by Harmonov » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:Every version of it including the recent three-pack with Body Heat and LA Confidential is OOP on MMM
Awesome. I mentioned on this forum not one month ago that I was buying The Player on blu so that it it would go OOP and come to Criterion. Fuck me.

flyonthewall2983

#364 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Thank you!

Harmonov

#365 Post by Harmonov » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Thank you!
I'm a team player here. Sigh.

ianungstad

#366 Post by ianungstad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

About a week ago Warner Brothers discontinued a number of Archive releases that generated some speculation that they may have been licensed to Criterion including:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)

The OOP list this week has a few more Warner titles that seem like they may go to Criterion:

Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)

sir_luke

#367 Post by sir_luke » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Super excited at the prospect of having some of these enter the Collection. Looks like some of our initial hopes/suspicions may prove true!

ianungstad

#368 Post by ianungstad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:48 pm

The individual release of Madame Bovary (Vincent Minnelli) as well as all packaged versions (TCM sets; etc) are on the chopping block this week too.

Noiradelic

#369 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:19 am

ianungstad wrote:About a week ago Warner Brothers discontinued a number of Archive releases that generated some speculation that they may have been licensed to Criterion including:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)

The OOP list this week has a few more Warner titles that seem like they may go to Criterion:

Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)
Don't know which ones Criterion has actually gotten, but these are all smack in the center of their wheelhouse (The Breaking Point perhaps slightly less so, but with Ride The Pink Horse coming, makes sense).

FrauBlucher

#370 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:29 am

I'm sure we'll get a good indication in the next New Year's Day wacky drawing for which WB titles that will be coming.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#371 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 am

Plenty of stuff here seems spot on for Criterion.
Blow Up fits with their Antonioni releases, there has been plenty of speculation for Before Sunset & Before Sunrise, but also for Barcelona. And it seems there might be a HD master for The Magnificent Ambersons because a French magazine (Les années Laser) has "announced" that it would be in Warner France line up for early 2015. A BD remains surprising but one can only hope.

salad

#372 Post by salad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 am

I'm baffled that Warner Archive discontinues titles.

It would be neat if Criterion publishes another double feature loosely inspired by a Hemingway source.

Cinephrenic

#373 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:25 pm

If those films appear on Criterion, what a year it will be! They look like choices Criterion would go for.

ianungstad

#374 Post by ianungstad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Malick's The New World is being discontinued by Warner Bros on dvd and blu this week too.

The individual releases of Frankenheimer's Seven Days in May and George Steven's Woman of the Year have been discontinued for awhile but Warner has deleted all TCM and other multi-film sets that contain either film this week. (TCM Lancaster 4-pack; TCM Romantic Comedies Collection; etc)

movielocke

#375 Post by movielocke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:34 am

Cinephrenic wrote:If those films appear on Criterion, what a year it will be! They look like choices Criterion would go for.
I'm guessing a minimum three years for all 15 mentioned so far which would be a very rapid pace. Though if I were Warners I would insist on a clause that all films be released within a twelve month window after the first release is issued or all non issued titles revert to wb. Otherwise criterion might release one and then trickle them out once every fifteen months