Warner Brothers Archive Collection (DVDs only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#1526 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:45 pm

And now Waiting for Guffman gets a DVD-R. ](*,)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1527 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I wouldn't have been surprised if it got a Blu-ray. But that would imply Warners understands any audience beyond some weirdos on their floor of the office building

captveg

#1528 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:12 pm

I wonder if this means they were underwhelmed by the Blu-ray sales of Best in Show

Gregory

#1529 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 pm

I can't recall just how funny I found this film but I just ordered a used copy, so thanks for the tip. It'll be a shame if they strip off the special features for the DVD-R. How often do they do that in cases where WAC releases a title that had been a special edition DVD?
I know that in many cases of downgrades to DVD-R the earlier DVDs had no special features in the first place (e.g., Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, KITH Brain Candy), or had only the slightest bits of filler (e.g. Gummo). Too bad in the case of something like Brain Candy, as it would be nice to see the alternate ending and deleted scenes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1530 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure all of the rereleases have maintained the original disc's contents and only adjust the main menus (and sometimes not even that)

captveg

#1531 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:24 pm

For the most part Warner only drops special features when rights issues come up (expiration, music issues, etc.)

rockysds

#1532 Post by rockysds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:38 am

Ugh.

warren oates

#1533 Post by warren oates » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 am

I just can't imagine Criterion not coveting Blow-Up and Warners not being willing to give it to them. I wouldn't necessarily despair about all those other titles either.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1534 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Hitchcock on MOD, you gotta be kiddin me here Warners

felipe

#1535 Post by felipe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Sometimes it seems people prefer having a title as OOP than having it released through MOD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1536 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:33 pm

I mean, yeah, I prefer keeping this picture of my mom and dad on my nightstand as opposed to their rotting corpses, but that doesn't change the fact that Warner Brothers murdered my parents.

Gregory

#1537 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 pm

felipe wrote:Sometimes it seems people prefer having a title as OOP than having it released through MOD.
I'd prefer to see more titles reissued on Blu-ray, to try and keep that format alive, especially since next year is touted as the year that will show that Warner is serious about their back catalog. Keeping a film like Blow-Up out of print for years the way they've done doesn't make any sense.

Ashirg

#1538 Post by Ashirg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 pm

At least Warner's releases indicate when they are being replaced with DVD-R with a new cover. Sony just replaced a bunch of titles as DVD-R keeping the same artwork (including original Pennies from Heaven)...

Noiradelic

#1539 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:30 am

warren oates wrote:I just can't imagine Criterion not coveting Blow-Up and Warners not being willing to give it to them. I wouldn't necessarily despair about all those other titles either.
That they wouldn't either release it as a WAC Blu themselves or let Criterion or another boutique label have a crack at it is pretty shocking. Not many foreign art films of the era penetrated popular culture as much as it did. It's almost as if MGM had demoted Persona or Last Tango in Paris to MOD (I realize neither of these films is a perfect analogy, but Blow-Up, being English language but without a star of Brando's magnitude falls somewhere in-between those two in my mind in terms of contemporaneous pop cultural impact).
Last edited by Noiradelic on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noiradelic

#1540 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 am

felipe wrote:Sometimes it seems people prefer having a title as OOP than having it released through MOD.
As long as Blow Up was OOP, there was still hope, especially in light of Badlands and last week's Wexner chat, that Criterion would land it.

rockysds

#1541 Post by rockysds » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 am

Blow-Up could potentially be following the sorta odd release pattern of Get Carter where the WAC MOD was followed by a WB blu-ray later (50th anniversary in 2016 for example), if folks wanna keep hoping. Both Love in the Afternoon and Mr. and Mrs. Smith are available pressed in TCM sets, so they weren't hard/expensive to get, but this would seem to squash blu-rays. I thought the Wilder would have been close to a shoo-in for blu mostly due to the Audrey Hepburn factor.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1542 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Murder, My Sweet, Kings Row, and Clash By Night are now MOD only. I could understand the last two since the current market may not be too big for the pleasures they offer, but Warners once more clearly shows they don't understand their noir holdings (no news there) with Murder My Sweet getting DVD-R'd and freaking Possessed getting a Blu-ray

Also Wicked Wicked, which they've been teasing since the Archives began, is finally out, and it's not even getting a pressed Archives release. All that work and buildup for a DVD-R. Well, as Flicker Alley has proved, consumers are fucking idiots and still support this format so oh well

Ashirg

#1543 Post by Ashirg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 pm

As Get Carter proved, having a DVD-R doesn't mean the blu-ray won't get released. They just released a bunch of musicals that were released on blu-ray by Warner Archive on DVD-R - Billy Rose's Jumbo, Hit the Deck and Kismet. Blu-ray release requires extra restoration as Out of the Past showed, but DVD-R can use the same masters from DVD, so it's much easier to do.

Feego

#1544 Post by Feego » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Wicked, Wicked is awful, awful, and DVD-R is about all it deserves. It's one of the very few movies about which I would actually use the trite expression, "I wish I could have those two hours back." There is absolutely no artistry, sense of timing or visual wit in its use of feature-length split screen. It is literally just two images constantly playing at the same time, often to headache-inducing distraction. Nothing that was meant to be scary is scary, nothing that was meant to be funny is funny. The movie was just an ugly bore.

Gregory

#1545 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:Murder, My Sweet, Kings Row, and Clash By Night are now MOD only. I could understand the last two since the current market may not be too big for the pleasures they offer...
So we get to live in a country where Ronald Reagan is venerated as a political icon, yet apparently there's virtually no interest in probably his most interesting film as an actor. Worst of all possible worlds, anyone?

Ashirg

#1546 Post by Ashirg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Also note that Film Noir sets and Ronald Reagan Collection are still in print.

Gregory

#1547 Post by Gregory » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Ashirg wrote:As Get Carter proved, having a DVD-R doesn't mean the blu-ray won't get released. They just released a bunch of musicals that were released on blu-ray by Warner Archive on DVD-R - Billy Rose's Jumbo, Hit the Deck and Kismet. Blu-ray release requires extra restoration as Out of the Past showed, but DVD-R can use the same masters from DVD, so it's much easier to do.
Aside from Get Carter, how many Warner Archive DVD-R titles has Warner made available on blu-ray to date, more than 5 1/2 years after launching the Warner Archive Collection? With about 3,000 films in the WAC to date, is there even a 0.1% chance of any given film in that vast bunch seeing the light of day on the newer format rather than just DVD-R and streaming?
Also, let's not forget that WAC was touted by Warner (in their early press releases and in those advertisement videos at the start of many of the discs) as having been created as a means of releasing titles never before available on DVD, not as a substitute for releasing pressed discs or keeping existing pressed titles in print, which WAC is increasingly becoming.

rockysds

#1548 Post by rockysds » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:14 am

Forbidden Hollywood vol. 8 up for pre-order for November 18th. Contains Blonde Crazy, Strangers May Kiss, Hi, Nellie and Dark Hazard. Initial batch pressed as usual.

EddieLarkin

#1549 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:41 am

I'd been waiting for Blonde Crazy, this is great news. I was worried the line was done with Volume 7.

rockysds

#1550 Post by rockysds » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:54 am

Some Paramount stuff back through the Archive: Martin & Lewis vol. 1, Martin & Lewis vol. 2, The Fan and Just for You / Here Comes the Groom. All four initially pressed.

The Dr. Gillespie box is listed as being initially pressed as well.