Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ashirg

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#501 Post by Ashirg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 am

Reminder for those who can't wait til May to get Munich - it streets February 17 as Best Buy exclusive.

captveg

#502 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 pm

5/12/15

Orgazmo (1997) (Includes both cuts)
Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

The Narrator Returns

#503 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 pm

When I went to Best Buy today, I noticed that they were selling Blu-Rays of The Game, but not the Criterion release, but instead Universal-issued Blu-Rays which had the original theatrical artwork and none of the Criterion features listed on the back. Is this the flipside to their earlier Criterion deal where they released the bare-bones (probably HD-DVD-sourced) release first and the Criterion came after?

jwo17

#504 Post by jwo17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:10 am

Sounds like the Best Buy exclusive: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Game-Blu-ray/125340/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Doe

#505 Post by John Doe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Apollo 13: 20th Anniversary remastered edition - 6/2

captveg

#506 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Spartacus update:

"While it’s true that the screening [at TCM Festival] has been cancelled, we’ve confirmed through our industry sources that a new restoration of Spartacus has been completed and that Universal Studios Home Entertainment is planning to release it on Blu-ray later in 2015."

chatterjees

#507 Post by chatterjees » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 pm

captveg wrote:Spartacus update:

"While it’s true that the screening [at TCM Festival] has been cancelled, we’ve confirmed through our industry sources that a new restoration of Spartacus has been completed and that Universal Studios Home Entertainment is planning to release it on Blu-ray later in 2015."
So, no Criterion edition in near future?

Minkin

#508 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 pm

chatterjees wrote:
captveg wrote:Spartacus update:

So, no Criterion edition in near future?
I suppose that's what everyone is thinking with this announcement, but I'd imagine a Criterion edition would follow a few months to a year later (as has been the case with almost every 80s/90s Universal licensed Criterion movie on bluray).

flyonthewall2983

#509 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Minkin wrote:I suppose that's what everyone is thinking with this announcement, but I'd imagine a Criterion edition would follow a few months to a year later (as has been the case with almost every 80s/90s Universal licensed Criterion movie on bluray).
Do The Right Thing?

EddieLarkin

#510 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Beaver on both versions of Imitation of Life.

The OAR for the 1959 Imitation of Life is 1.85:1, not 2.00:1 as Universal has gone with here. There is of course more information on the sides compared to the DVD (a given, though perhaps not to this extent; there really is a lot!), but to prevent cropping at the top Universal have seemingly adjusted the "matte" upwards so that the top line is actually higher than the old DVD, and there is quite a bit of cropping on the bottom instead.

Whilst Universal did regularly flip between both ratios at first, everything was 1.85:1 by 1956, let alone 1959. This is actually becoming a common thing with Universal, they seem to be under the impression much of everything they did in the 50s and 60s should be 2.00:1, and they've gone with that for Captain Clegg, Brides of Dracula and I think Midnight Lace, despite them all being 1.85:1 (or in the case of the Hammer films, possibly even 1.75:1). In those examples too they've cropped the bottom rather than the top (which surely suggests they know they're doing something wrong!).

I have heard the German BD of Imitation of Life is 1.85:1, but it presumably does not use this otherwise gorgeous 4K transfer (and so overall will have less information anyway).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#512 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Did anyone catch the screening at Film Forum? I've been saving my pennies for the Sturges prints playing next week, so didn't venture out to this. Now I wish I had to see if the restoration matched the blu ray and what the AR was!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#513 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:56 am

david hare wrote:The Sirk alas is NOT.
Very sad to read this. :(

captveg

#514 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

The authoring people would have had nothing to do with the video assets. They would have assembled what they got delivered, and as long as it matched the spec they were provided they would be good to go.

EddieLarkin

#515 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm

They worked directly from the Technirama negative for that one (that is, the 8 perf 35mm negative, rather than a dupe 65mm element), scanning in 6K. RAH was consulted on it as well. I have very high hopes for it.

Zot!

#516 Post by Zot! » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:59 pm

david hare wrote: I get the distinct impression the disc was authored by people who weren't really ideally suited to the project. The way it opens with flash cards for digital versions and copyright/piracy notices and then, only then the first menu page looks like it's been authored by a small child. I've never seen a disc opening like this unless you count some of the absolutely dreadful region B locked Optimums which have unskippable series of trailers for five or six other titles at the top.
'
I have seen your collection David, and I am shocked that the forced trailers and legalese are news to you. Disney is particularly insidious.

Cagliostro

#517 Post by Cagliostro » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

David, I always assumed you lived at Minyago Yugilla

Zot!

#518 Post by Zot! » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 pm

oh sorry David, didn't intend to make myself out as some nostalgic rentboy from your past, waxing poetic about a visit to your inner sanctum. Just saw the pictures you had posted.

jedgeco

#519 Post by jedgeco » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm

david hare wrote:This disc has a slightly new arrangement for the deck of cards. Disc opens with the 25 second Universal flying logo. then the menu screen to select 34 or 59 version. Then a flash card for the fabbie new BD/Combo and digital experience; then the copyright title card, then the FBI piracy card, then a little piccie of your pop up menu visualized as a remote with the suggestion you access it and how to do just that. Completely boggling!
I have nothing to add about this absurdity, except to complain once again that Universal's Blu-ray menus are the fucking worst.

Black Hat

#520 Post by Black Hat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 am

Drucker wrote:Did anyone catch the screening at Film Forum?
I did. Thought it looked great, first time I had seen the film and despite the unintentional comedy from being dated, much of which was in the beginning, it blew me away.

captveg

#521 Post by captveg » Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 pm

8/11/15

Dead Silence (2007)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - Not sure how this will differ from the Shout Factory release
Hellfighters (1968)

EddieLarkin

#522 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 19, 2015 1:40 pm

captveg wrote:Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - Not sure how this will differ from the Shout Factory release
Last month, on reviewing The Breakfast Club BD re-release, which featured a brand new and wonderful looking transfer (unlike the earlier BD from 2010), Robert Harris had this to say about Universal:
RAH wrote:We're going to be seeing more impeccable releases from Universal. There's an entirely new mindset in place, seeking perfection.

No more heavily degrained product. New, rock steady, image harvests on the finest of scanners. And generally, a very professional team in place from top to bottom.

I consider this the new Universal.

While older transfers will still appear, as creating new masters from original elements is both expensive, as well as time consuming, you're going to be seeing fewer of them, as new product makes its way through the production arena.

My advice is to read reviews, and grab that new product when it appears. If a release is noted on the packaging to be remastered, it will be a safe pre-order.

Much of the new work is being performed in-house, by the studio's own tech team, and they take things Very seriously.
In a couple of weeks Universal will re-release Apollo 13 on BD, and it too will be from a far more modern, wonderful looking transfer than its earlier release. And we already know Spartacus will be here before long, transferred in 6K from the OCN. This then will hopefully be a trend (I think you can lay money we'll see The Thing by 2017), and the new Halloween III release may just be a whole new transfer (the SF release uses the DVD-era master and offers very little upgrade).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#523 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 19, 2015 1:43 pm

Universal has a history of releasing barebones Blu-rays of titles licensed to other labels for more deluxe treatment, I see no reason to expect any new work done for one of these cash-in releases

EddieLarkin

#524 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 19, 2015 2:18 pm

I guess you're probably right, but, this being the best Halloween sequel, I can dream*!

*if I conveniently forget that no one else feels likewise

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#525 Post by tenia » Tue May 19, 2015 2:29 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:In a couple of weeks Universal will re-release Apollo 13 on BD, and it too will be from a far more modern, wonderful looking transfer than its earlier release.
There is a comparison on caps-a-holic, and it looks as if it's more a new 4K remaster than anything deeper than this. Still, it's much better than the former release, but I wouldn't expect a revolution.

However, if even Universal is getting a new more professional and quality minded strategy, it's quite reassuring in terms of old turds being stuffed over and over again on BD (see Weird Science for instance).