903 Jabberwocky

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

903 Jabberwocky

#1 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Jabberwocky

Image Image

Amid the filth and muck of England in the Dark Ages, a fearsome dragon stalks the land, casting a shadow of terror upon the kingdom of Bruno the Questionable. Who should emerge as the town's only possible savior but Dennis Cooper (Michael Palin), an endearingly witless bumpkin who stumbles onto the scene and is flung into the role of brave knight? Terry Gilliam's first outing as a solo director—inspired by Lewis Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky" and made on the heels of Gilliam's success as a member of the iconic comedy troupe Monty Python—showcases his delight in comic nonsense, with a cast chock-full of beloved British character actors. A giddy romp through blood and excrement, this fantasy remains one of the filmmaker's most uproarious visions of society run amok.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• New 4K digital transfer from a restoration by the BFI National Archive and The Film Foundation, approved by director Terry Gilliam
• 5.1 surround mix, supervised by Gilliam and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary from 2001 featuring Gilliam and actor Michael Palin
• New documentary on the making of the film, featuring Gilliam, producer Sandy Lieberson, Palin, and actor Annette Badland
• New interview with Valerie Charlton, designer of the Jabberwock, featuring her collection of rare behind-the-scenes photographs
• Selection of Gilliam's storyboards and sketches
• PLUS: An essay by critic Scott Tobias

Smafdy

Re: Forthcoming: Jabberwocky

#2 Post by Smafdy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Mungo wrote:According to Annette Badland's Twitter, the actress was interviewed today by Criterion on Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky.
Yes! Yes! YES!!!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am

Wow.

teddyleevin

#4 Post by teddyleevin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 pm

This is a film I watch about every few years and it's always a massive chore. Last time, I had to switch to the commentary track half-way through. I'm a Gilliam fan for life and I truly love the Jabberwock puppetry. It would be great to see this film looking as great as it possibly can. The jokes are bizarre and the throughline is so frustrating. Still, low-tier Gilliam is fine by me.

Roger Ryan

#5 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

teddyleevin wrote:This is a film I watch about every few years and it's always a massive chore. Last time, I had to switch to the commentary track half-way through. I'm a Gilliam fan for life and I truly love the Jabberwock puppetry. It would be great to see this film looking as great as it possibly can. The jokes are bizarre and the throughline is so frustrating. Still, low-tier Gilliam is fine by me.
I agree. I'm a big supporter of Gilliam, but his first feature as solo director is pretty weak. The jump in quality from Jabberwocky to Time Bandits is fairly remarkable. I'd be much more interested in Criterion rescuing Tideland (2005) which I re-watched last year for the first time since its theatrical debut and found far more successful and emotionally involving than my first viewing. Of course, no reason they can't handle both releases!

MoonlitKnight

#6 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am

Agreed on "Tideland." The savagery that film received from critics upon its release still baffles me to this day -- particularly since I consider it one of Gilliam's best. :-s It pissed me off that ThinkTank (which released the film on DVD/Blu here in the States) couldn't be bothered to present it in its OAR. No wonder they're not around anymore. :roll:

As for "Jabberwocky," I think Gilliam was clearly very much in Python mode when he made it (lest we forget, it was promoted as "Monty Python's Jabberwocky" in some areas), but was probably a necessary flawed step in his development as a filmmaker.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 903 Jabberwocky

#7 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Announced for November

beamish13

#8 Post by beamish13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:03 pm

What a missed opportunity. This really should've featured some of Gilliam's non-Python animated works, especially as Jabberwocky was
theatrically re-released in North America with The Miracle of Flight

cpetrizzi

#9 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I think they should release a $399.99 collector's edition blu-ray set that includes a Jabberwocky figurine or action figure, limited to maybe 250.

Most of us here would get three: one to display, one to open, and one just in case!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:36 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:I think they should release a $399.99 collector's edition blu-ray set that includes a Jabberwocky figurine or action figure, limited to maybe 250.

Most of us here would get three: one to display, one to open, and one just in case!
You can have all of my allotment, then

John Shade

#11 Post by John Shade » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Only Gilliam I haven't seen. This brings me back to a question recently asked on the forum: should one just try and get the whole oevure of a beloved director? I'm not the biggest fan of The Fisher King, but the set itself offered some decent supplements. Should I just get FilmStruck later in the year and see it for the first time there?

Ribs

#12 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

There's no reason to assume a non-Janus title will ever appear on Filmstruck.

cpetrizzi

#13 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:
cpetrizzi wrote:I think they should release a $399.99 collector's edition blu-ray set that includes a Jabberwocky figurine or action figure, limited to maybe 250.

You can have all of my allotment, then
My sense of humor is lost on most I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7g ... yNightLive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a pretty big Gilliam fan, so this is actually a welcome addition to the collection.

PfR73

#14 Post by PfR73 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I emailed Jon Mulvaney about the fact that none of the November releases were listing a Trailer in their respective supplements list, despite the fact that each had the trailer on their previous DVD releases. He replied to me that Le Samourai & Jabberwocky will include the trailer.

kcota17

#15 Post by kcota17 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm

It was like strangely like that for the October releases as well. None of them had trailers included until a few weeks later where they all got trailers.

Combined with the fact that Sid and Nancy still says More! For the supplements, something has been off with whoever is in charge of the website.

The Narrator Returns

#16 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Added:
• Original UK opening sequence
• Audio interview with cinematographer Terry Bedford from 1998
• Trailer

PfR73

#17 Post by PfR73 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:• Original UK opening sequence
I've never heard about this, does anyone know more about it?

dwk

#18 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 am

Minkin

#19 Post by Minkin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:28 am

Tooooooze wrote:Region: 'A' + 'B'
I know its going to be available in the UK as well (and Gary oftentimes screws these things up) - but if right, then this is either their first region free / multi-region Blu.

Has anyone checked any of the other recent dual-region titles?

Robespierre

#20 Post by Robespierre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 am

I mean...how and why does this have more special features than Stalker? Love the film but same goes for Philadelphia Story.

dwk

#21 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

Minkin wrote:
Tooooooze wrote:Region: 'A' + 'B'
I know its going to be available in the UK as well (and Gary oftentimes screws these things up) - but if right, then this is either their first region free / multi-region Blu.

Has anyone checked any of the other recent dual-region titles?
Towards the end of the review he says
...and my Oppo has identified it as being a region 'A' disc, although also available in Region 'B' (UK).
which I think means it is A locked?

MoonlitKnight

#22 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 am

Robespierre wrote:I mean...how and why does this have more special features than Stalker? Love the film but same goes for Philadelphia Story.
Perhaps because Gilliam has a long-standing history with Criterion, as this is now the fifth film of his that they've put out (not including "Life of Brian")? And, meanwhile, Tarkovsky and Cukor are both, you know, dead (as are most of their collaborators)? :|

Minkin

#23 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

Jabber-Svety

I've been excited to see this, although my S/O is ecstatic - being a huge fan of Holy Grail and all. So, how apt would a comparison between the two be? Or would a comparison to Erik the Viking be better?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#24 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 am

It's mildly like Holy Grail, but not trying to be as funny.

Magic Hate Ball

#25 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 am

I'm a big Gilliam fan but tbh I think it's kind of a huge slog, when I was a kid my mom rented it for me when I was sick and I think it actually made me sicker.