Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Dylan

Re: Identify This Movie

#1151 Post by Dylan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 am

Cameron Swift wrote:Anyway it reminded me of a movie I saw as a teenager but can literally remember only one scene. A guy gets lucky with a girl in her bedroom and at some point he lets his two buddies in through the window. They hide under the bed and they all take turns on the girl who doesn't notice because the lights are off. Eventually she does and the guys are chased off and have to run through the town covering their nudity with whatever they can find.

I have a feeling it might have been a direct to video film. I saw it on VHS and my memory tells me it looked pretty cheap. Most likely an 80s film, though I think it was set in the 50s/60s, maybe east coast USA (Atlantic City maybe?) I think the guys were Italian American, one chubby guy.
Sounds like Lemon Popsicle, a 1978 comedy from Israel that was remade in America as The Last American Virgin. Both films have a scene like this, but Lemon Popsicle takes place in Tel Aviv, Israel in the 1950s (but the soundtrack included a lot of 1950s American songs) while The Last American Virgin is set in the early 1980s around Los Angeles. The most widely circulated version of Lemon Popsicle was an English dub, and I have to imagine it's possible that with the English dub and the 1950s American songs it would've been easy to confuse it for an American film. Neither of these films look "cheap" (the DP on both was Adam Greenberg, who would go on to shoot Terminator 2, Near Dark, and many other movies), but maybe the VHS transfer was bad (again, assuming what you saw was either of these).
Last edited by Dylan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

repeat

#1152 Post by repeat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 am

repeat wrote:Sorry if I've asked this before but it's been bothering me for a while - what film is this scene from (Asian film, maybe Hong Kong or Taiwanese, I thought it was from Wong but I haven't been able to place it):
Master shot of a small apartment, single take, one character is bedridden (right side of frame), the main character (I think) comes to bring them provisions. The bedridden person tells them to wash their hands before handling the food, whereupon the main character goes to the toilet (left side of frame), opens the tap for a moment (not washing their hands), closes it and comes back. (This must be the single most passive-aggressive act I've ever seen in a film!)
...aha, I have asked it before so it's probably not WKW or someone would surely have recognized it. Looking at my viewing diaries from that time, could it perhaps be Visible Secret by Ann Hui? Or July Rhapsody (probably not)? (Or maybe it's a Japanese film after all...)

Reifferschizzle

#1153 Post by Reifferschizzle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:00 am

zedz wrote:It sounds like Hong Sang-Soo, and there are a bunch of his films that more or less feature "two middle aged guys meeting up after a long time, getting drunk, reminiscing (mostly about love)", but I'm not sure which one this might be! HaHaHa maybe?
It was indeed HaHaHa, thanks so much! Checked out the trailer on YT and that's the one, even though it feels like the trailer is cut to make it seem like the movie hates women way more than it does (or maybe I just forgot?)

Kauno

#1154 Post by Kauno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Kauno wrote:A Russian/ Soviet film with child actors, made probably before 1980's. There is some runaway boys and trains, loads of trains. At the end the leading boy dies: he smashes his skull against a telephone pole as he sticks head out train window. Has anyone a name for this?
I want to pump this, I'm sorry if this sort is unwanted. I'm still looking this Soviet movie.

zedz

#1155 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Reifferschizzle wrote:
zedz wrote:It sounds like Hong Sang-Soo, and there are a bunch of his films that more or less feature "two middle aged guys meeting up after a long time, getting drunk, reminiscing (mostly about love)", but I'm not sure which one this might be! HaHaHa maybe?
It was indeed HaHaHa, thanks so much! Checked out the trailer on YT and that's the one, even though it feels like the trailer is cut to make it seem like the movie hates women way more than it does (or maybe I just forgot?)
The men in Hong's films are generally arseholes, but we have to figure that out ourselves, which probably accounts for the impression you get from the trailer.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1156 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:26 pm

I was going through an old camera recently and found a bunch of pictures of a film/tv show being shot in Philadelphia that I took a while ago. Since I was a lot younger back then, I don't remember taking the pictures or what was being filmed, and I'm wondering if anyone who's lived in Philly before or just recognizes a cast/crew member can help me identify the production being shot. I've put the pictures with the most pertinent information up here.

I know that the pictures were taken on August 18, 2007, in the middle of Logan Square, and from what I can surmise from Google Earth, on the side of the square that Aviator Park is located, facing the Basilica of Saints Peter And Paul. Beyond that, I don't know or remember anything about the shoot. If anyone can figure something out based on the pictures/information and tell me about it, I'd love to know what the production was.

Morbii

#1157 Post by Morbii » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 pm

An episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia used a fountain like that, possibly in that timeframe. Probably not it though.

Swift

#1158 Post by Swift » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Dylan wrote:
Cameron Swift wrote:Anyway it reminded me of a movie I saw as a teenager but can literally remember only one scene. A guy gets lucky with a girl in her bedroom and at some point he lets his two buddies in through the window. They hide under the bed and they all take turns on the girl who doesn't notice because the lights are off. Eventually she does and the guys are chased off and have to run through the town covering their nudity with whatever they can find.

I have a feeling it might have been a direct to video film. I saw it on VHS and my memory tells me it looked pretty cheap. Most likely an 80s film, though I think it was set in the 50s/60s, maybe east coast USA (Atlantic City maybe?) I think the guys were Italian American, one chubby guy.
Sounds like Lemon Popsicle, a 1978 comedy from Israel that was remade in America as The Last American Virgin. Both films have a scene like this, but Lemon Popsicle takes place in Tel Aviv, Israel in the 1950s (but the soundtrack included a lot of 1950s American songs) while The Last American Virgin is set in the early 1980s around Los Angeles. The most widely circulated version of Lemon Popsicle was an English dub, and I have to imagine it's possible that with the English dub and the 1950s American songs it would've been easy to confuse it for an American film. Neither of these films look "cheap" (the DP on both was Adam Greenberg, who would go on to shoot Terminator 2, Near Dark, and many other movies), but maybe the VHS transfer was bad (again, assuming what you saw was either of these).
Wow, I was not expecting an answer to this, but it definitely sounds like it could be one of those movies (and google image search suggest so too) They both appear to be on youtube so I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

nykmendesjr11

#1159 Post by nykmendesjr11 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:07 am

Hello,

I remember to watch an old Black & White movie in my youth and I am trying to find it, but even google is failing me.

The catch phrase in the movie, spoken among the family member was something like: "Direct question, honest answer", when they are trying to say to the other person that they should speak the truth when asked.

I appreciate if someone knows the movie title and send me some clues for me to find it.

I believe it is from the 30´s or 40´s.

Other information: it is a romantic movie, about family, with kids.

knives

#1160 Post by knives » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm

There's this, I think Canadian, animated short I remember seeing about 15 years ago on Cartoon Network that goes over the classical who am I problem with a teleporter. Thank you to whoever can figure out what it is.

Feego

#1161 Post by Feego » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Sounds like it's To Be.

cpetrizzi

#1162 Post by cpetrizzi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm still searching for the movie my avatar came from.

knives

#1163 Post by knives » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:36 am

Feego wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 pm
Sounds like it's To Be.
Amazing. That's it exactly.

Aunt Peg

#1164 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:30 am

Does anyone recall the name of an English comedy probably from the 1950's, maybe early 1960's about a group of guys that get out of prison only to discover that where they had hidden the money is now a police station?

Morbii

#1165 Post by Morbii » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:36 am

The Big Job?

Aunt Peg

#1166 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:35 am

Morbii wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:36 am
The Big Job?
Yes, thank you that is it.

Aunt Peg

#1167 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 am

I have two more, both seen in childhood/teenage years, though one of them was not a movie.

First one: I only recall the end when a young boy has been looking after a black & white stray cat, he also makes it an eye-patch. At the end of the show/movie the cat is hit by a car and killed.

Second once: I recall an English TV series in the 1970s that only ran one series called Andrea (that may not be the correct spelling). It was science fiction. I can find no record of this on imdb or the internet in general. I watched the whole series but so much time has passed that I cannot recall the story line.

tojoed

#1168 Post by tojoed » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I think the TV series might have been "A for Andromeda".

Aunt Peg

#1169 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am

tojoed wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 pm
Could possibility have been it, though I recall it being in colour not B&W, probably bad memory on my part.

GaryC

#1170 Post by GaryC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am
tojoed wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 pm
Could possibility have been it, though I recall it being in colour not B&W, probably bad memory on my part.
If it is this one, there was a second series called The Andromeda Breakthrough. That series, plus what survives of A for Andromeda, are available on DVD.

Feego

#1171 Post by Feego » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Since this thread is hot right now, I'll have a go. Several years ago I came across a European film (I couldn't say what country or language, but definitely not English) that was likely made in the 70s or early 80s. It was set during some sort of war, possibly in the early part of the 20th century. I think the main plot followed a group of men on a raft who come across the body of a dead girl and take it with them. I believe at one point a bird perches on the girl's body and pecks at her head. There was also a close-up of a little boy walking toward the camera screaming (I think he had been shot?). I only saw bits of this on TV in the 90s, so it's mostly a vague memory now.

cpetrizzi

#1172 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am

Please help identify the woman who is presenting with Peter Falk during the 1975 Academy Awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5sW4n ... nel=Oscars

knives

#1173 Post by knives » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

Katharine Ross.

cpetrizzi

#1174 Post by cpetrizzi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:41 am

Thank you knives!

Murdoch

#1175 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:17 pm