Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
johnnysnatchclub7

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2651 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am

Ballad of Buster Skruggs and Beasts of No Nation, please.

Though, I don’t see Netflix making a deal. It goes against their mission statement. But maybe they’d be into the prestige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSM126

#2652 Post by CSM126 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 am

I could maybe see Cuaron pressuring Netflix to let Criterion do Roma because he’s friendly with them and all. I’ll believe a general licensing deal when I see it happen.

dwk

#2653 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Since Netflix didnt produce it, it is likely that the disc rights to Roma are with the producers/production company.

Ribs

#2654 Post by Ribs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm

It’s not really the same situation as with Cloverfield, though.

I do believe Netflix will begin releasing some of their titles on disc within the next 6 months or so but have a hard time imagining a world where they choose to release Roma in a format that isn’t UHD so don’t think Criterion would be involved.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2655 Post by Brian C » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:01 pm

johnnysnatchclub7 wrote:But maybe they’d be into the prestige.
You make a solid point here - the way they’ve been gunning for Oscar recognition the last couple years, I don’t think this can be dismissed out of hand.

But, I agree this seems unlikely. Whatever the next level up on the probability scale is from “can’t be dismissed out of hand”, that’s probably where this idea belongs.

FrauBlucher

#2656 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Ribs wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm

I do believe Netflix will begin releasing some of their titles on disc within the next 6 months or so but have a hard time imagining a world where they choose to release Roma in a format that isn’t UHD so don’t think Criterion would be involved.
This sounds as close to a sure thing for a CC release to me....
dwk wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 am
FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 pm
hhhhmmm, interesting....
drgogol wrote:talked to CEO Peter Becker about Roma,
Could this be a hint.
About that,
themarkles
Did he say they're releasing Roma!?
drgogol
@themarkles seems very likely :)

ianungstad

#2657 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Didn't we hear something along the same lines for The Other Side of the Wind? What would a Criterion/Netflix deal even look like? The Meyerowitz Stories and Ballad of Buster Scruggs would be obvious titles on Criterion's wishlist.

DRW.mov

#2658 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:09 pm
Ribs wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm

This sounds as close to a sure thing for a CC release to me....
dwk wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 am
FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 pm
hhhhmmm, interesting....
Could this be a hint.
About that,
themarkles
Did he say they're releasing Roma!?
drgogol
@themarkles seems very likely :)

After the producer of The Other Side of the Wind dropped similar hints both at a screening back in October and more recently on Twitter, I wouldn’t be surprised it the one-two punch of Welles and Cauron get Criterion in bed with Netflix. I wouldn’t be surprised to the Meyerowitz Stories, Okja, Private Life, Buster Scruggs, or the upcoming Soderbergh’s to be on the table too.

captveg

#2659 Post by captveg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:13 pm

Scorsese's The Irishman would almost have to be a part of such a deal, no?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2660 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:22 pm

I could see one of the major studios making Netflix a better deal based on the cast and Scorsese's pedigree, but who knows

mteller

#2661 Post by mteller » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 am
Minkin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 am
I assume there must be some deal with Netflix then. As The Other Side of the Wind has been heavily hinted at as well.

If there were a Netflix deal, are there any other obvious picks?
Obviously the Adam Sandler films.
You kid, but Sandler is in the collection already

dda1996a

#2662 Post by dda1996a » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 pm

And rightfully so. But why are y'all clamoring for Netflix-Criterion? I much rather get films that aren't easily available in HD. Films like To Sleep With Anger etc that need this treatment. Those Netflix films are great and all, but they aren't really unavailable in the highest quality we like

KJones77

#2663 Post by KJones77 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:14 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 pm
And rightfully so. But why are y'all clamoring for Netflix-Criterion? I much rather get films that aren't easily available in HD. Films like To Sleep With Anger etc that need this treatment. Those Netflix films are great and all, but they aren't really unavailable in the highest quality we like
Well, they are entirely unavailable if you don't subscribe to Netflix.

Adam X

#2664 Post by Adam X » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:31 am

I don't use any streaming service (due to life circumstances, rather than any kind of objection) so if any labels started releasing discs of films/series currently only available via streaming, I for one'd really appreciate it. Plus, as has been repeated many a time, if you think those films mentioned above and more are going to be permanently available to stream/download you're kidding yourself. With a physical release, they'd at least become a little less ephemeral.

dda1996a

#2665 Post by dda1996a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 am

I'm pro physical release, but I don't want Criterion to waste a monthly release on something that is for the most part easily available at a very good quality HD. Let some other company release them.

Cremildo

#2666 Post by Cremildo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:20 am

dda1996a wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 am
I'm pro physical release, but I don't want Criterion to waste a monthly release on something that is for the most part easily available at a very good quality HD. Let some other company release them.
Cinephiles who are also Blu-ray collectors want movies in physical format, that's the point. Something tangible, ownable, with a booklet, bonus materials, cover art, uncompressed audio, decent bitrate. Who cares if the movie is available in HD, but only by means of streaming? Not everyone is interested in subscribing to Netflix. I'm not.

Also, I don't see how releasing perfectly respectable films like Roma, Buster Scruggs, or Mudbound would be a "waste" of a monthly slot - certainly not more than re-releasing Blue Velvet, or the next Wes Anderson movie, or any movie that's available on disc overseas.

dda1996a

#2667 Post by dda1996a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:26 am

I'm not clamoring for another Blue Velvet release as well. I mean sure if they get great extras than sure, but as recent releases have shown they rarely have enough bonus features to warrant a Criterion release. But Stalker, being unavailable in a good HD release was at least worth releasing even if I didn't get it for it's complete lack of extras to warrant the price. Releasing Buster Scruggs and adding just an interview and a leaflet isn't very worthwhile in my opinion, while releasing a new HD Berlin Alexandeerplatz is indeed a worthy release

Calvin

#2668 Post by Calvin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 am

It's not even about extras, it's about having a physical copy which will provide a reliable way of watching the film in high quality rather than over streaming which can provide a variable bit rate (I'm guessing the majority of people don't have a connection good enough to provide a bit rate as high as a well authored Blu-Ray). You could well say what's the point in releasing Berlin Alexanderplatz, when there's already a superior Region B release on the market - at least there's a physical release.

FrauBlucher

#2669 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:16 pm

I think Netflix will allow the directors, especially the big names, make separate deals for the physical media. They know the physical media market is made up of mostly collectors. It would not benefit them to produce their own blurays/DVDs but also would want to see the collector market catered to. It benefits everyone. Netflix still sends out DVDs and blurays. I still have a subscritpion to their physical media service and it's fine. I get almost everything I want including many newer CC releases. I don't believe they are the big bad anti-physical media monster that some paint. They just know that streaming will dominate in the future and want to be ahead of the curve.

As for Blue Velvet getting another release, it's not any different then Warner re-releasing their prestige titles over and over again. I'm sure that Criterion feels that Blue Velvet is a prestige title from the 1980s. You folks know as well as anyone, most collectors will buy the prestige titles again and again as long as there is something new to the release, even if it's slightly different.

kcota17

#2670 Post by kcota17 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:21 pm

There will most definitely be a new transfer for Blue Velvet. Which that fact already makes it more of a needed release than Dr. Strangelove, Moonrise Kingdom or Fire Walk With Me.

dda1996a

#2671 Post by dda1996a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 am
It's not even about extras, it's about having a physical copy which will provide a reliable way of watching the film in high quality rather than over streaming which can provide a variable bit rate (I'm guessing the majority of people don't have a connection good enough to provide a bit rate as high as a well authored Blu-Ray). You could well say what's the point in releasing Berlin Alexanderplatz, when there's already a superior Region B release on the market - at least there's a physical release.
It's not, since a lot of people aren't multi-region (I am) and are unable to purchase from other regions. As I said, I'm not against someone releasing Netflix films on Blu, just think that it's a waste if Criterion does it.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2672 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 pm

I wouldn’t think it was a waste if doing so with something likely to sell well like Roma or Buster Scruggs finances some of their older or more obscure releases.

FrauBlucher

#2673 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Roma may become one of those films that will make so many of this decades best of list. It is critically acclaimed and has won many awards with probably more to come. It's an art house film that has stepped, no jumped into the main stream consiousness. I don't think this is a waste. This is what Criterion is all about.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2674 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I can’t be the only one who thinks Netflix releasing physical titles of their best films on a prestige label is beneficial for them too, right? I felt up until The Other Side of the Wind, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Roma, Netflix films felt elusive. They pop-up one week and then are quickly forgotten for the next. Who still talks about the Cannes title Okja, a Sundance winner like (the atrocious) I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore or even a critically acclaimed film like Mudbound? Whatever you have to say about the quality if it, it wasn’t until late-2017’s Bright that Netflix started tapping the popular conciousness with a film they made. As Netflix increasingly moves to being a platform of all self-produced or self-distributed shows and movies, they’re starting to understand the importance of keeping a film alive beyond its release date.

Morbii

#2675 Post by Morbii » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:52 am

Does anyone know if there's a resource out there for determining which of my Criterion DVD editions to keep and which to sell because there are no missing features on the blu-ray?

I assume anything that came out on tandem wouldn't have this issue, but I'm wondering about other titles (without having to spend hours to research).

For the moment, if anyone knows if I should keep or part with my Bergman Trilogy due to the Bergman box, please speak up.