Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Awards Season 2019

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:19 am

Time to do this!

beamish14

Re: Awards Season 2019

#2 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 am

Pixar's probably got Best Animated Feature locked! It's not like GKids are distributing amazing foreign language features that deserve the award.

Big Ben

#3 Post by Big Ben » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 am

Surely this year can't be as bad as 2018 and this post will in no way come back to haunt me?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 am

Best Actress winner Awkwafina might have something to say about that

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#5 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:04 am

*Rihanna

Luke M

#6 Post by Luke M » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm looking forward to Taron Egerton doing his best Tiny Dancer impersonation next year.

Fiery Angel

#7 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:07 pm

He sang it last night with the Rocketman himself: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ce-799735/

Luke M

#8 Post by Luke M » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Fiery Angel wrote:He sang it last night with the Rocketman himself: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ce-799735/
That was nicer than I expected. Hope the movie is good.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:23 pm

It surprisingly doesn’t look terrible

Calvin

#10 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

beamish14 wrote:Pixar's probably got Best Animated Feature locked! It's not like GKids are distributing amazing foreign language features that deserve the award.
It's Toy Story 4, so you'll almost certainly be right, but it will also have to compete with the juggernaut that will be Frozen 2. Perhaps they'll split the Disney vote, and it'll end up going to How to Train Your Dragon 3 which is a very effective closing chapter for a series that probably should have won before.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#11 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Spielberg, a prominent Green Book partisan against Netflix’s Roma, seems to be leading a charge to change the Academy qualification rules to force Netflix to either fundamentally alter its release model or get out of the Oscar game (which could substantially reduce its appeal to top-tier filmmakers).

Persona

#12 Post by Persona » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:59 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm
Spielberg, a prominent Green Book partisan against Netflix’s Roma, seems to be leading a charge to change the Academy qualification rules to force Netflix to either fundamentally alter its release model or get out of the Oscar game (which could substantially reduce its appeal to top-tier filmmakers).
Netflix released at least a dozen films last year that were far more Oscar-worthy than Ready Player One with its wide theatrical release. And, hey, I saw Roma in the theater. And I live in Ohio.

Spielberg needs to take a step back and listen to himself. He is sounding all too "old guard."

As far as I'm concerned, distribution models like Netflix are challenging the Hollywood status quo and that is a challenge that is very, very worthwhile. Filmmakers should be in support of this. It gives them more options and leverage in getting the projects made that they want to make and it sometimes affords them more creative control, too.

Spielberg's coming from a place where he already knows that he can find a Hollywood studio to back him and let him do his thing. His commentary here is so close-minded and sort of self-absorbed, it's embarrassing.
Last edited by Persona on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#13 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:04 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm
Spielberg, a prominent Green Book partisan against Netflix’s Roma...
JFC, didn't know this, but besides the serious lapse in taste, that's pretty outrageous if people at that level were pushing against Roma simply because they didn't want a Netflix movie to get the top prize.

DarkImbecile

#14 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm

If Spielberg was showing interest in putting some of that Transformers money to good use by financing and/or distributing theatrically projects by Tamara Jenkins, Noah Baumbach, Dee Rees, Errol Morris, Cary Fukunaga, JC Chandor, Bong Joon-Ho, Ava DuVernay, David Michôd, Oz Perkins, Jeremy Saulnier, Werner Herzog, Paul Greengrass, Joel and Ethan Coen, or Orson fucking Welles I might be more sympathetic to his position here.

Instead, from Amblin in 2019 we’re getting... A Dog’s Journey, a fourth Men in Black, and Tom Hooper’s Cats.

dda1996a

#15 Post by dda1996a » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:42 pm

But would Netflix have released Roma on so many screen if it wasn't trying so hard to win an Oscar? I don't want to have great films only play at home on streaming and only empty blockbusters on the big screen. The guy does have a point.
Also, Spielberg is exactly the person to talk about this because of his leverage in the industry. Even if helped a terrible film win, he has enough power to change stuff. Who else can work hard to get things done? I doubt someone like Cuaron can and will try to make sense of the situation.
[EDIT] but Darkimbecile does have apoint.

Persona

#16 Post by Persona » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm

I think you are going to see more expanded theatrical releases for Netflix's "A" titles. Definitely sounds like The Irishman is going to get a pretty wide release.

I am not exactly sure what Spielberg is trying to achieve here other than he's identified Netflix as a threat to the old paradigm that he is comfortable with. As far as Roma is concerned, I think Netflix satisfied whatever the expectation should be in terms of theatrical release. There are so many great art or foreign films every year that get less of a release than what Roma got, does that mean they should be excluded from Oscar consideration?

Timing in terms of theatrical release and home release really should not matter as long as theatrical release was still an option for these Oscar-push titles. Anyone arguing otherwise is really pushing the semantics of an agenda that is out-of-touch with the realities of the new market.

And, yes, DarkImbecile is exactly right. Other creatives/producers/studios not happy with the talent Netflix is attracting and the fact that their films are now getting serious awards recognition? Step your games up! Take some chances! Stop pushing the same-old business/distribution/bottom-line models of filmmaking and embrace the challenges/freedoms of the new era. Just get on with it, already.

Calvin

#17 Post by Calvin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:If Spielberg was showing interest in putting some of that Transformers money to good use by financing and/or distributing theatrically projects by Tamara Jenkins, Noah Baumbach, Dee Rees, Errol Morris, Cary Fukunaga, JC Chandor, Bong Joon-Ho, Ava DuVernay, David Michôd, Oz Perkins, Jeremy Saulnier, Werner Herzog, Paul Greengrass, Joel and Ethan Coen, or Orson fucking Welles I might be more sympathetic to his position here.

Instead, from Amblin in 2019 we’re getting... A Dog’s Journey, a fourth Men in Black, and Tom Hooper’s Cats.
I'm not sure if it's apocryphal, but I recall reading that Welles invited Spielberg to lunch in the hopes of getting him to back one of his projects and Spielberg didn't do any such thing despite paying thousands for a Rosebud sled a few weeks earlier!

Aunt Peg

#18 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 am

At the end of the day the Oscars are becoming more irrelevant with each passing year.

I'm amazed at the $$$ quoted for campaigning this year for both Roma & Green Book. Back before video tape rental shops popped up everywhere films that had finished their theatrical run would generally get re-released if they received major nominations. And sometimes films that didn't do initially that well got a second chance and ended up doing respectable business.

Also, a 'best picture' win would pretty much guarantee a big increase in box office takings and lead to a much longer run at the cinemas. Nowadays, the some Oscar winning films get a little bump in the following week and then just fizzle away at the cinema.

I do think that decades ago the general public were at the very least aware of the Oscar films, nowadays, aside from those who post on award websites don't take little if any interest.

DarkImbecile

#19 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:32 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:35 pm

So they care about awards consideration but not Disney eating other companies whole?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:36 pm

The conspiracy theories in those comments are something else

The Fanciful Norwegian

#22 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:54 pm

And of course the DoJ finally discovers its duty to prevent "anti-competitive" behavior when it threatens the Oscar chances of a multibillion corporation and not, say, smaller producers and distributors that are now forced to post awards-related mailings from an Academy-approved mailing house, eliminating their ability to shop around or negotiate for better rates. I also don't recall the DoJ stepping in when the Academy tightened up the seven-day LA County qualifying run requirement by mandating three screenings a day, at least one during the prime 6-10 P.M. period—another rule change clearly stacked in favor of the big shots (including Netflix, which can easily afford to four-wall 21 screenings of their awards hopefuls).

Big Ben

#23 Post by Big Ben » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:09 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:36 pm
The conspiracy theories in those comments are something else
Boy you weren't kidding:
John Wilke wrote:The Obamas are under contract to Netflix and still have friends high up at DOJ. Maybe there’s a connection, maybe not.
Y I K E S
The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:54 pm
And of course the DoJ finally discovers its duty to prevent "anti-competitive" behavior when it threatens the Oscar chances of a multibillion corporation and not, say, smaller producers and distributors that are now forced to post awards-related mailings from an Academy-approved mailing house, eliminating their ability to shop around or negotiate for better rates. I also don't recall the DoJ stepping in when the Academy tightened up the seven-day LA County qualifying run requirement by mandating three screenings a day, at least one during the prime 6-10 P.M. period—another rule change clearly stacked in favor of the big shots (including Netflix, which can easily afford to four-wall 21 screenings of their awards hopefuls).
And now I see why they did it. I was rather taken aback when I read the news. But now that you've informed me on the topic...jeez.

movielocke

#24 Post by movielocke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:56 pm

That DOJ thing is just so dumb.

Speaking of dumb, I wonder if the Academy's taste for big changes might mean a return to five best picture nominees this year. They've done expanded nominees for ten years now, so it's a nice round number to end on. But obviously it's a big financial benefit to the studios to have more than five BP nominees, and they'd be upset, as would the consultant caste that depends on the expanded roster for their income, but perhaps for the academy reducing the nominees is a way to shorten the show!

The other radical change I could foresee, that would really be fought tooth and nail, would be moving the three shorts categories to the Honorary Oscars ceremony. I would expect a compromise position, with Live Action being the only one exiled this year, but eventually Doc Shorts being kicked out too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:58 pm

They should absolutely go back to five nominees for Best Pic, but I’m not impartial given my commitment! Still, it used to mean something more when you made the cut of five, now with the weird 8-9 sliding scale, it’s a bit less impressive