The Wild Pear Tree (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
FrauBlucher

Re: The Wild Pear Tree (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2018)

#26 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Persona

#27 Post by Persona » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 pm

John Cope

#28 Post by John Cope » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Well, this was released (apparently) on Blu via Drakes Avenue to very little fanfare. Weird how little acknowledgment there is that this even exists. Does anyone have it? I want to get it but have heard nothing about it yet as far as quality or extras. Wondering if I should just wait for the Cinema Guild release a couple months from now.

AidanKing

#29 Post by AidanKing » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:52 am

The film was released in the UK last year by New Wave films and received pretty good reviews: Little White Lies magazine said that it was his best film, for example. New Wave is run by Robert Beeson, who used to run Artificial Eye with Pam and Andi Engel. Ceylan appears to have a good relationship with Beeson as the two companies have released all his films in the UK, with Ceylan moving to New Wave when it was set up. New Wave seems to use Drakes Avenue to release its DVDs and BluRays. Unfortunately, the disc release appears to have been delayed for some unspecified reason as Amazon doesn't have any stock or a new release date and it isn't in my local HMV. The New Wave disc releases seem to be of fairly good quality as far as I can tell, but you might want to support your local distributor. Cinema Guild looks similar to New Wave in that they both release more radical films that probably wouldn't be distributed in their respective areas otherwise. For example, New Wave has released the most recent films by Gomes. Grisebach and Martel, as well as Summer 1993 by Carla Simon.

Aunt Peg

#30 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm

My UK disc of The Wild Pear Tree is being prepared for shipping by Zavvi.

AidanKing

#31 Post by AidanKing » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 am

That's really good news. I was a bit concerned that the release might end up getting cancelled like New Wave's disc release of Arnaud Desplechin's My Golden Days. Hopefully there won't be any problems with the new Jia Zhang-ke film which New Wave is apparently releasing in UK cinemas in April.