Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
thirtyframesasecond

Re: Passages

#7676 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Keith Flint, man. He was probably the last pop star who made Middle England collectively shit themselves when he'd appear on the TV. I probably prefer the Music for the Jilted Generation type stuff, but The Fat of the Land was huge, epic music. They were a dance act with a rock band's energy. I've read so many comments where people have said they watched them support Oasis at Knebworth and were so good and so loud that Oasis stood no chance. And that album got to number one in America when NO UK artists could buy a hit there. It was such an influential sound too on more modern dance music - whether you like your Pendulum types or not. I'm thinking back to watching Top of the Pops when the Firestarter video came on, the sample from the Art of Noise....

CSM126

#7677 Post by CSM126 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:45 am

flyonthewall2983

Passages

#7678 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Sad but not surprised considering he kept the weight on. I’ve seen a couple interviews with him lately and he seemed way smarter than he would probably appear to people.

I heard that when he did a commercial for Apple Computers in the 80’s, he was given stock options.

hearthesilence

#7679 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Feego wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm
My only familiarity with Perry's work is his role as the boyfriend in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, but that was such a prominent part of my childhood that it hurts the just the same. He was appropriately laid back and unafraid to look goofy, which made him immensely appealing to me.
I don't think I've ever seen 90210 or Riverdale, but I do remember seeing him in three other things: The Simpsons as Krusty's half-brother, on SNL with Phil Hartman as Obi-Wan Kenobi's spirit, guiding him through hecklers during his monologue ("kick his ass, Luke"), and on Conan when Alyson Hannigan of all people came on as a second guest and embarrassed Perry. Apparently, when they rode up the elevator together, she told him "oh, we're going to the same place!" but Perry, hiding under a baseball cap and without looking at her, replies "I DOUBT it." He was a good sport though, and it's very awful he died that young - I know people who weren't much older when they passed away from a stroke.

Someone posted this from Joss Whedon elsewhere:
Joss Whedon wrote:The first time I met Luke Perry we talked about what kind of movie we wanted “Buffy” to be. I asked if he’d ever seen “Near Dark” and he gave me a look of HOW DARE YOU SIR.

MichaelB

#7680 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Once ubiquitous British youth-TV presenter Magenta Devine.

Dylan

#7681 Post by Dylan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Composer Jacques Loussier, who did a brilliant job scoring Jack Cardiff's Dark of the Sun (the main title of which is memorably featured in Inglourious Basterds).

kubelkind

#7682 Post by kubelkind » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am

Adam

#7683 Post by Adam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Peter Mays, who was a long-time figure in the Los Angeles experimental film world, a founding member of the Single Wing Turquoise Bird Light Show, projectionist at the old Fox Venice Theater and at CAA. I don't know if anyone will run an obituary for him. We're doing a couple of tribute shows for him, and there is more of a bio on our site. His film Death of the Gorilla is the source for the cover image for Taschen's Art Cinema book by Paul Young. Link to Los Angeles Filmforum screening:
https://www.lafilmforum.org/schedule/wi ... re-part-1/. He passed away on May 4, 2019.

And the loss of Carolee Schneemann is a tremendous blow. She was wonderful in person.

Reverend Drewcifer

#7684 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Sid Sheinberg https://variety.com/2019/film/news/sidn ... 203158148/

Dear Sid Sheinberg, When Are You Going To Release My Film Brazil?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpHHRc83kk

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#7685 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Jan-Michael Vincent. Looks like he actually passed away back in early February.

colinr0380

#7686 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:09 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm
Jan-Michael Vincent. Looks like he actually passed away back in early February.
That is sad to hear, especially that he seemed to have been ill for a long time. The John Milius film Big Wednesday is probably his best film, but interestingly the last film he was in the not great looking White Boy aka Menace in 2002 which was the first film that Abel Ferrara produced.

Very strangely I got to the episode of Rick & Morty last night that features its own weird tribute to the actor! I was never that into Airwolf as a kid (aside from its great theme tune of course!), which felt a bit too much in the vein of Knight Rider mixed with The A-Team (as well as its high tech helicopter feeling a bit too indebted to Blue Thunder, just on TV), though of course anything with Ernest Borgnine in cannot be all bad!

But he did head up some interestingly offbeat films in his time, particularly 1977's post-apocalyptic Damnation Alley and the really bizarre Canadian film Shadow of the Hawk in which he wrestles a bear!

It looks as though there are more than enough Jan-Michael Vincent films to keep Red Letter Media going through multiple Best of the Worst episodes at least! They have covered his Fred Olen Ray film Alienator already!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#7687 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Albert Marenčin, at the age of 97. Primarily known as a writer (poet, essayist, screenwriter, translator), but he was also a critically important figure in 1960s Slovak cinema who in his capacity as head of the First Creative Group at the Koliba Studios in Bratislava helped facilitate work by many of its leading lights - Elo Havetta, Juraj Jakubisko, Štefan Uher - as well as overseeing international co-productions such as Alain Robbe-Grillet's The Man Who Lies. In later years he was an active member of the Czechoslovak Surrealist Group alongside the likes of Jan Švankmajer.

hearthesilence

#7688 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 pm

bearcuborg

#7689 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 am

Gambino crime boss, Frank Cali, whacked...

From a few days ago, the always excellent Selwyn Raab, on the passing of Carmine Persico
Last edited by bearcuborg on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Ben

#7690 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 am

That's interesting insofar that whacking a crime boss is a big deal. He must have really pissed some big people off. They not only shot the dude but ran him over just to make sure he was dead.

bearcuborg

#7691 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am

Yeah, there’s been a bit of activity lately.

colinr0380

#7692 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 am

It sounds as if there have been significant upheavals all over, at least suggested by the BBC:
BBC wrote:The Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese, Colombo and Bonanno mafia families are believed to have controlled organised crime in New York for decades.

Last week, Carmine Persico, the 85-year-old former boss of the Colombo organisation, died after serving 33 years of a 139-year prison sentence.

On Wednesday, two heads of the Bonanno family, Joseph Cammarano Jr and John Zancocchio, were acquitted in a Manhattan court of racketeering and conspiracy to commit extortion.

Last October, 71-year-old Sylvester Zottola, a reputed associate of the Bonanno organisation, was shot dead at a takeaway restaurant in the Bronx, New York. The attack came three months after Zottola's son, Salvatore Zottola, was also shot, but survived.

Aunt Peg

#7693 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 am

American independent director Barbara Hammer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Hammer

bearcuborg

#7694 Post by bearcuborg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 am
That's interesting insofar that whacking a crime boss is a big deal. He must have really pissed some big people off. They not only shot the dude but ran him over just to make sure he was dead.
Looks like it wasn’t a hit, just some jagoff upset over a girl. The NY Post couldn’t decide between unwise guy, or dumbfella, so they went with both. Sad that the guy is dead, but also, no Selwyn Raab stories going forward either...

Barbara Hammer...I caught her at Philadelphia’s International House a few years ago, the 70s stuff felt pretty dated, but her documentary, History Lessons, is quite good.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#7695 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Dick Dale

Professor Wagstaff

#7696 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Roger Ryan

#7697 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Dick Dale
"The guitarist's health had declined over the past 20 years due to a number of illnesses, including diabetes, kidney disease and rectal cancer."

The above may be true, but, astonishingly, he was still performing live through the end of last year (and on tour last summer), although in recent interviews Dale claimed he had to keep touring to pay his medical bills!. The rectal cancer first hit him in 1965 when Dale was only 28. Supposedly (and this is the story Dale liked to tell), Jimi Hendrix thought Dale's condition was terminal and included the line "you'll never hear surf music again" in "Third Stone from the Sun" as a tribute. That Dale survived and continued to perform for over fifty years after that diagnosis is extraordinary. I saw him twice twenty years ago and was struck, not just by his amazing guitar work, but by his enthusiasm (he talked excitedly of Disneyland using one of his tracks to play through speakers installed on the Space Mountain coaster cars and some plan to have him play on top of the Matterhorn ride!). He seemed like a teenager, not a 60-year-old. I got his autograph and a couple of guitar picks - picks which were whittled down to half their original size because of the force Dale would attack his thick guitar strings during a performance.

dwk

#7698 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:42 am

bearcuborg

#7699 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 pm
Richard Erdman
Wonderful in Stalag 17, I didn’t know he was still working toward the end!

dustybooks

#7700 Post by dustybooks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 am
Buttery Jeb wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Dick Dale
"The guitarist's health had declined over the past 20 years due to a number of illnesses, including diabetes, kidney disease and rectal cancer."

The above may be true, but, astonishingly, he was still performing live through the end of last year (and on tour last summer), although in recent interviews Dale claimed he had to keep touring to pay his medical bills!. The rectal cancer first hit him in 1965 when Dale was only 28. Supposedly (and this is the story Dale liked to tell), Jimi Hendrix thought Dale's condition was terminal and included the line "you'll never hear surf music again" in "Third Stone from the Sun" as a tribute. That Dale survived and continued to perform for over fifty years after that diagnosis is extraordinary. I saw him twice twenty years ago and was struck, not just by his amazing guitar work, but by his enthusiasm (he talked excitedly of Disneyland using one of his tracks to play through speakers installed on the Space Mountain coaster cars and some plan to have him play on top of the Matterhorn ride!). He seemed like a teenager, not a 60-year-old. I got his autograph and a couple of guitar picks - picks which were whittled down to half their original size because of the force Dale would attack his thick guitar strings during a performance.
Thank you for sharing this story. The first decade of rock & roll is basically my favorite period of pop culture and so even though I know everyone is getting very old now, it still hurts to lose a figure like Dale I've admired so much, and I really enjoy hearing firsthand accounts of seeing/meeting them. I've heard that his shows continued to be engaging right up to the end, and I always wanted to go see him but somehow never managed it, which I regret.