Kino Lorber Studio Classics: Lost Highway

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1 Post by soundchaser » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Sorry to snipe the news, Insider, but:
Kino is releasing Lost Highway on June 25th, per Facebook.

Kino Insider

#2 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Coming June 25th!

LOST HIGHWAY (1997) Color 134 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
Haunting sexuality, ricochet action and fleeting, murderous shadows await you on a journey that begins and ends on the Lost Highway. The successful jazz musician whose marriage is on the rocks... The man in black who threatens to expose him... The young mechanic with links to a powerful mobster... The mobster’s moll, who knows what she wants and the people who can get it for her. These are the riders on the Lost Highway, trapped in their worlds of desire, destiny, and unknown destination, where the truth is always just a short way further down the road. Featuring an electrifying soundtrack and a star-studded cast including Bill Pullman (Malice), Patricia Arquette (True Romance), Robert Blake (Busting), Balthazar Getty (White Squall), Gary Busey (Silver Bullet), Richard Pryor (Blue Collar) and Robert Loggia (Prizzi’s Honor), Lost Highway is an extraordinary, sensual fever dream from legendary filmmaker David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Will this be a 4k restoration?

I'm very excited for many, many upcoming KL releases, and have a backlog to pick up over the last few years. That said, some of their most high profile releases have been the most disappointing, so I hope that isn't the case here.

Big Ben

#4 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Jeez it's about time. The film only got a DVD release in what, 2007? Thanks for finally putting it out!

kcota17

#5 Post by kcota17 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Welppp... hoping for the best

albucat

#6 Post by albucat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Kino's putting out such a pile of good stuff this year. Keep up the good work!

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

This what Kino Insider said at the Blu-ray.com forums about Lost Highway
We acquired the rights last year. We did reach out to the filmmaker. And that's all we can say about it. 

The transfer is a very good one, we watched it and it looks great. We're trying to clear three extras and hope to list the additional details next week.
Unfortunatly, it sounds like they are using the existing master.

hearthesilence

#8 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:17 pm

I recall picking up the UK Blu-Ray in London two years ago, only to return it the next day when I noticed it was interlaced. Anyone know why it would be interlaced?

EDIT: Actually did a quick search and came up with this: "This UK disc has likewise been licensed from an MK2 source. It has the same windowboxed opening credits and the same green push. On top of that, it has also been encoded in 1080i resolution at a 50 Hz frame rate, instead of the worldwide standard 1080p resolution at 24 frames-per-second. This suggests that the UK disc was erroneously derived from a European broadcast TV master, rather than the proper Blu-ray master. In addition to being interlaced, the video runs 4% too fast, much like a PAL DVD would. To be honest, the interlacing issue is more bothersome in principle than in practice, and the frame rate error has more impact on the disc's sound quality than its video. Regardless, it's a pretty serious screw-up, considering that both the French and Japanese Blu-rays were properly authored in 1080p/24 format."
Last edited by hearthesilence on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Might be my favorite opening title sequence--I could watch it for two hours instead of the movie

dda1996a

#11 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:42 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm
Might be my favorite opening title sequence--I could watch it for two hours instead of the movie
Does that mean you don't care for all the brilliance that follows?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:54 pm

It does not

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#13 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:17 pm
I recall picking up the UK Blu-Ray in London two years ago, only to return it the next day when I noticed it was interlaced. Anyone know why it would be interlaced?
Lazy label.
We have a history in Europe of theatrical movies being incorrectly released at 25fps on BD, encoded as 1080i50. It is rarer in the UK though, but relatively frequent in France (though, fortunately, the trend seems to disappear very slowly). I suppose that in this case, Universal got the MK2 master as a 25 psf file and didn't bother correcting it to 24fps for the BD release.
It is, however, interesting to note that Canal also released the movie in Germany, but the German BD was, this time, properly encoded as 1080p24.

The master is quite visibly dated, and has plenty of margin for improvement, though it certainly is decent enough. The biggest issue is how it most certainly has EE all over it. I certainly wouldn't say it is a "very good master" or that "it looks great". It rather is a decent dated master that is OK enough to warrant a BD release for the lack of a better source.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Man, I'm glad I don't like Lost Highway all that much because the way it's still treated even by the boutique labels must be super frustrating for those who love the film.

Considering that their recent Bend of the River release doesn't improve on the German BD it looks like waiting for reviews before buying is probably well-advised. Unless a UK label like Indicator puts it out and plans to restore it beforehand, this is as good as it's going to get for this Anthony Mann western. Pity really because it doesn't bode well for other titles like The Naked Spur to fare any better and Naked Spur was problematic on DVD.

nitin

#15 Post by nitin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Naked Spur is Warner, when it gets a release, it will most likely be from a new scan as per their current practice.

Indicator also has not done any restorations for studio licensed titles. In fact, some of their Universal licensed titles look quite poor because of the Universal supplied masters.

Luke M

#16 Post by Luke M » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 pm

Re: Lost Highway

Film historian Tim Lucas had this to say:
Dear Folks, I’ve been given clearance by Kino Lorber’s Frank Tarzi to make the following known at this time...

If you go to the website of Diabolik DVD, you’ll see they are soliciting pre-orders for Kino Lorber’s upcoming Blu-ray of David Lynch’s LOST HIGHWAY. Their description of its extras includes an hour-long interview with David Lynch, an exclusive booklet essay by Nick Pinkerton, and a NEW audio commentary by Tim Lucas.

This was the exciting hush-hush project I mentioned here a month or so ago. The commentary was commissioned by KL and I was honored, excited, and intimidated to script and record the FIRST-EVER audio commentary for a David Lynch film on disc.

I was extremely proud of the result, which - despite my initial intimidation - flowed out of me like water. Bret Wood, my disc producer, told me the commentary was terrific. At the time, Universal seemed to have no problem with this, but once the work was done (and paid for, I hasten to note), I’m told they checked their contract and discovered that neither they nor their sub-licensers were allowed to include ANY extras with the release, in keeping with the wishes of Mr. Lynch.

Therefore, I regret to inform you that Kino Lorber’s LOST HIGHWAY Blu-ray will feature NO extras other than a trailer. It’s the way David Lynch wants it. Of course, I’m disappointed that my and Nick’s work won’t be along for the ride - but I’m presently considering other ways of making my commentary available, perhaps in expanded book form.

I hope this news won’t spoil anyone’s interest in the disc, which I can tell you is a magnificent HD transfer of a mind-bending film.

Finch

#17 Post by Finch » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Very sloppy work or rather lack of it on Universal's behalf. They should have checked this before Kino paid out to Mssrs Lucas and Pinkerton. In theory, Kino could licence the chapter on Lost Highway from Chris Rodley's book Lynch on Lynch (seeing as respective interviews for Eraserhead and FWWM made it onto the Criterion releases of those, not sure about Blue Velvet?) but whether they'd want to make more expenditures now after Universal falling asleep on this is another question.

Lucas says it's "a magnificent HD transfer". Wonder what he's watched as it can't be the old master.

Roger Ryan

#18 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am

Anyone following Lynch's approach to home video releases over the past two decades should have known that he does not allow audio commentaries. Given that this one would have been the "FIRST-EVER", it's astonishing that no one sought Lynch's pre-approval. At the same time, Lynch has been fairly generous with interviews and behind-the-scenes supplements, so it's a little surprising that no extras will appear on the release. Was that hour-long interview with Lynch actually recorded? If so, for what purpose?

flyonthewall2983

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am
Anyone following Lynch's approach to home video releases over the past two decades should have known that he does not allow audio commentaries. Given that this one would have been the "FIRST-EVER", it's astonishing that no one sought Lynch's pre-approval. At the same time, Lynch has been fairly generous with interviews and behind-the-scenes supplements, so it's a little surprising that no extras will appear on the release. Was that hour-long interview with Lynch actually recorded? If so, for what purpose?
So is there still a chance Criterion could pick this up down the line?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:18 pm

The Kino Lorber isn't even out yet and you're talking about an eventual Criterion release? Sure, maybe in ten years

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

That’s pretty shitty, actually— it’s not like anyone else can release it in the states for a while and if they do, they also know Lynch is willing to throw them under the bus regardless. This isn’t like the Bitter Moon debacle, there’s nothing “wrong” with this release (that we know of), it just wasn’t restored, presumably because Universal’s deal didn’t allow for it

EDIT: Apparently KL reached out to Lynch to supervise the transfer and he ignored them

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#23 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Maybe he's miffed they outbid Criterion for it

starmanof51

#24 Post by starmanof51 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 pm

It’s long (long!) seemed like Lynch is more inclined to sabotage such releases rather than support them

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:35 pm

I wonder if Lynch has the no DVD extras thing in all his licenses like Woody Allen, because if not I bet KL is extra pissed they dropped the Tim Lucas commentary to please him