The Future of Home Video

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
perkizitore

Re: The Future of Home Video

#501 Post by perkizitore » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I am more surprised that CNET still exists than this announcement.

Finch

#502 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 pm

From Variety
In addition to box office revenues, the report found that the global home entertainment business increased by 16% to reach $55.7 billion last year. This was driven primarily by the rise of digital rentals, sales, and subscriptions to streaming services such as Netflix. Digital home entertainment spending in the U.S. increased 24% to $17.5 billion; internationally this sector climbed 34% to $25.1 billion. That helped plug the gap left by massive declines in the sale and rental of DVDs and Blu-rays. In the U.S., disc sales dropped 15% to $5.8 billion and fell 14% internationally to $7.3 billion. Four years ago, physical sales in the U.S. were $10.3 billion and were $14.9 billion internationally, a sign of just how precipitously the DVD market has fallen. Over that same period, digital spending has increased 170% globally. Much of that rise is attributable to the popularity of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other subscription services. Globally, the number of digital subscriptions increased by 27% to 613.3 million. Online video subscriptions surpassed cable for the first time in 2018. Cable subscriptions fell 2% to 556 million.

FrauBlucher

#503 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 pm

This from an article featuring Peter Becker on the Criterion Channel thread Here
It doesn’t hurt that Criterion remains a physical media production company. Its treasured box sets and ostentatious special features continue to be a central factor in its operations, and Becker said Blu Ray sales have been up for the past two years. “If we stopped making Blu Rays, there would be a huge uproar. It would be insane,” he said. “It’s still our flagship line. It’s still, by far, the most important part of our financial picture.”

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#504 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Good to hear.

Clarence

#505 Post by Clarence » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm

For what it's worth, the next PlayStation console will still support physical media. It had been speculated that the next console generation would ditch disc drives in favor of being download-only.

ShellOilJunior

#506 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Clarence wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm
For what it's worth, the next PlayStation console will still support physical media. It had been speculated that the next console generation would ditch disc drives in favor of being download-only.
It's good news for UHD. Maybe not quite the push PS2 gave DVD or PS3 with Blu-ray but it can only be good. The icing on the cake would be full backwards compatibility with PS1-4 (disc).

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#507 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Considering Sony developed the Blu-Ray format, I'm not too surprised.

bugsy_pal

#508 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Re UHD players - I was waiting to get the Sony UBP-X800 Mk2, as it will have Dolby Vision. However, after further research I cam across the fairly recent Panasonic DP-UB820. I ordered it from a local supplier here in Australia, and I'm lovin it so far.
- it cost me AUD $560
- nice build, not as heavy as the Sony UBP-x800, but better than the x700, which is very light-weight
- nice implementation of Dolby Vision, reportedly better than Sony's
- has better disc compatibility than the Sony models
- according to reviews and comments I've read and heard, the picture is marginally better than on the Oppo 4K player and the Cambridge Audio universal player

It does have a fan in it, but I haven't been able to hear it when in use.

eerik

#509 Post by eerik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 am

jindianajonz wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm
Considering Sony developed the Blu-Ray format, I'm not too surprised.
I'd say it's more to with Playstation having huge userbase in areas/countries where infrastructure isn't good enough to support 50+ GB game downloads.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#510 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 am

Most certainly indeed.
Remember however that nothing prevented the physical market to plunge. The US one got halved in 4 years (2014 vs 2018), so whatever push this might give will still remain vastly inferior to an equivalent one that PS3 might have given BD or even more PS2 to DVD.
Plus, figures are hard to get, but I'm unsure of the impact of the Xbox One S and X reading UHDs had on the format.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#512 Post by swo17 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:08 am

Bigger Boat Needers 1
A+

Luke M

#513 Post by Luke M » Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

It's still a lot better than when Wal-Mart put Deadpool on the cover of all their movies.

Jack Kubrick

#514 Post by Jack Kubrick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:08 pm

movielocke

#515 Post by movielocke » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Jack Kubrick wrote:The Film Snob Dilemma
I mean growing up in a small town, video stores were ok for some old stuff, but the simple public library is what had all the classics and foreign films that turned me into a cinephile. As best I can tell even though video rental stores have nearly been rendered extinct, all public libraries still rent videos, but when the author discusses libraries it’s not as them being the still standing survivors with large collections of the great video rental genocide of the early 2010s but only in terms of whether or not kanopy was successful.

RitrovataBlue

#516 Post by RitrovataBlue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 pm

The article doesn’t mention MUBI, of course, since no one ever seems to mention MUBI. Yet, it’s still the best streaming source for the sorts of obscurities the article laments losing. Hell, it might just be the best streaming service in general. Where else can you see Virgil Vernier and Lav Diaz films?

jedgeco

#517 Post by jedgeco » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm

I came across this Verge article from a few days ago about small groups using Plex to create their own private streaming networks. While this is the first I've read about it in print, it's an idea that I've thought about for awhile now, ever since I started running an Emby server at home. I realize that these users are operating in a legal grey area, but I think that small private networks like this will undoubtedly have their place for future cineastes, especially as the mainstream pay services become increasingly uninterested in back-catalog and non-mainstream fare.

knives

#518 Post by knives » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:13 pm

RitrovataBlue wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 pm
The article doesn’t mention MUBI, of course, since no one ever seems to mention MUBI. Yet, it’s still the best streaming source for the sorts of obscurities the article laments losing. Hell, it might just be the best streaming service in general. Where else can you see Virgil Vernier and Lav Diaz films?
Kanopy?

Adam X

#519 Post by Adam X » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Speaking of Kanopy, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for streaming services available in Australia, outside of the big ones like Netflix. Most smaller services that get mentioned here seem to only be available in the US/UK right now, & I’m not really interested in paying for something that tends to cater mostly to blockbusters, DTV shite & original programming. (Netflix has never had the range of content down here as it has (had?) in the US, sadly).

John Cope

#520 Post by John Cope » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:52 am

jedgeco wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm
I came across this Verge article from a few days ago about small groups using Plex to create their own private streaming networks. While this is the first I've read about it in print, it's an idea that I've thought about for awhile now, ever since I started running an Emby server at home. I realize that these users are operating in a legal grey area, but I think that small private networks like this will undoubtedly have their place for future cineastes, especially as the mainstream pay services become increasingly uninterested in back-catalog and non-mainstream fare.
As someone who participates in one of these I can stipulate to that. There simply is no greater resource than a well curated Plex account.

MichaelB

#521 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:05 pm

jedgeco wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm
It seems to me that either:

(a) they legitimately own or have licensed the material for this kind of distribution;
(b) the material is unarguably in the public domain in all accessible territories;
(c) it's open-and-shut - or, to continue the colour metaphor, black-and-white - copyright infringement.

...and that, realistically, most cases will fall firmly under (c).

What kind of situation do you think gives rise to the kind of confusion that might merit a "legal grey area" description? At least one that might actually stand up in court if challenged?

movielocke

#522 Post by movielocke » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 pm

“Legal grey area”= One is entitled to watch anything ever created for free because one _wants_ to watch it and one is irritated it may not be otherwise as easily available in English friendly release, which is all the rationalization one needs to not feel any guilt over fulfilling one’s wants—after all the _real_ crime is committed against oneself: isn’t it a crime to not get to watch exactly what one wants instantly at all times?

I think rocket the raccoon also explains this all succinctly at the end of guardians of the galaxy.

willoneill

#523 Post by willoneill » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Don't confuse legal and moral, folks. That happens way too much. For many people in many countries, what jedgeco is describing is very much a legal grey area, if not flat out completely legal.

jedgeco

#524 Post by jedgeco » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm

willoneill wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm
Don't confuse legal and moral, folks. That happens way too much. For many people in many countries, what jedgeco is describing is very much a legal grey area, if not flat out completely legal.
No, I was probably a little too nonchalant in my description. Cracking the encryption on a Blu-ray or DVD is, in the US, prohibited by the DMCA (although I believe there could be a Fair Use Doctrine defense for certain uses), but I'm not sure what rights would be implicated for the person watching the content, as streaming the video does not create a copy.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#525 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Wouldn't streaming fall under the category of "unauthorized distribution" (as opposed to "reproduction")?