'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3901 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 pm

There was like one gory kill in this movie, and even though there are dozens of gay sex scenes the only nudity in the whole movie is 2 pairs of boobs. If you have a hard on for gay movies you'll probably like this, but if you're looking for any kind of horror or exploitation those parts are severely lacking.

The Pachyderminator

#3902 Post by The Pachyderminator » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Were the "dozens" of gay sex scenes all done while fully clothed?

tarpilot

#3903 Post by tarpilot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 am

Huh. Not enough severed penises. Someone get this man Street Trash!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3904 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 am

Is this for Brokeback Mountain?

lzx

#3905 Post by lzx » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 am

Perhaps the reviewer did not consider male nudity (if there was any) worth mentioning?

furbicide

#3906 Post by furbicide » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:11 am

Gotta be Knife + Heart again, right? (That film is a veritable treasure trove for silly reviews!)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3907 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 pm

When I read some of the impressions about this movie with regards to the life of a black family in L.A. (no crime, overly dramatic gang shootings in an attempt to sell the movie), I was intrigued. But after watching the movie, I wasn't expecting it to be so much in the opposite direction and be this tame. A lot of the movie felt like an episode of Full House. I had a hard time believing that this was a more "realistic" portrayal of a life of a black family. For example, there is no profanity whatsoever in the movie. Not that I wanted every other word to be the F, S, or N-word, but it's kind of hard to believe that profanity wasn't used whatsoever within a black family, even though it's a Christian one.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3908 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Is that seriously someone's reaction to To Sleep with Anger?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3909 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Yes, from the Blu-Ray.com forum

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3910 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 pm

To be fair, I can't think of any Christians I know who don't drop f-bombs constantly either.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3911 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:51 am

I’m sensing a theme with their clientele, here’s a different user on a different film
A big thumbs down on Do the Right Thing...one of the most abhorrent films ever made for actually justifying and advocating for destruction and violence in the name of racial "harmony" ... so long as Blacks are the ones doing it, of course, 'cuz that's what Blacks are supposed to do. Right, Lee? Somehow in Lee's mind, this is how Blacks are supposed to react when frustrated. This alone gives them license to destroy the very businesses and lives from which they all mutually benefit. Yeah...that's really "do(ing) the right thing."

Had this film been written and directed by anyone of any other race, it would have been deservedly condemned as virulently racist and insulting. Instead...because it's Lee...it's praised and applauded.

Big Ben

#3912 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:07 am

The reviewer appears to have (Conveniently) forgotten that someone has died.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3913 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 am

DO NOT WATCH HILLBILLY BLITZKRIEG, IT IS WICKED AND EVIL AND SUPPORTS WICA AND PAGANISM BOTH ARE SATANIC AND ALSO LIES,MAMON,GLUTTONY,ADULTERY,SODOMITES,DRUGS,DRUNKENESS,STEALING,PRIDE, KILLLING,COVETUSNESS,FORNICATION,WHOREMONGERS,INTERGRATION,NOT STICKING WITH YOUR KINDRED, HOLLYWOOD IS A PROPAGANDA MACHINE FOR MYSTERY BABYLON WHICH IS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. IT ALSO MOCKS MY HEAVENLY FATHER AND THE KING JAMES BIBLE WHICH IS GOD'S PRESERVE WORD FOR US AND WARN US ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS.BUY A COPY OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE AND GET TRUELY SAVED AND BORN AGAIN WHILE YOU STILL CAN. DO NOT WATCH THIS CATHOLIC MOVIE WITH A CATHOLLIC CAST, BURN YOUR COPY OF THE MOVIE AND GET A COPY OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE AND GET TRUELY SAVED AND BORN AGAIN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.DURRING WORLD WAR 2 EVERY LEADING FIGURE WAS ROMAN CATHOLIC AND WAS BEHIND THE HOLOCAUST. “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!”ISAIAH 5:20 KJV For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”JOHN 1:17 KJV For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”JOHN 1:17 KJV
DO NOT WATCH 1984 RED DAWN MOVIE T SUPPORTS EATING BLOOD,DRUGS AND DRUNKENESS,THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IS MYSTERY BABYLON.

Minkin

#3914 Post by Minkin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am

I didn't know Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-Anderson had gone into the film review business.

But if anyone wants anymore warnings about WICA CATHOLIC INTEGRATING MAMON*, here you go.

*(had to look this up, it means oral sex?)

Of course Hillbilly Blitzkrieg is now at the top of my watchlist

aox

#3915 Post by aox » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:51 am
I’m sensing a theme with their clientele, here’s a different user on a different film
A big thumbs down on Do the Right Thing...one of the most abhorrent films ever made for actually justifying and advocating for destruction and violence in the name of racial "harmony" ... so long as Blacks are the ones doing it, of course, 'cuz that's what Blacks are supposed to do. Right, Lee? Somehow in Lee's mind, this is how Blacks are supposed to react when frustrated. This alone gives them license to destroy the very businesses and lives from which they all mutually benefit. Yeah...that's really "do(ing) the right thing."

Had this film been written and directed by anyone of any other race, it would have been deservedly condemned as virulently racist and insulting. Instead...because it's Lee...it's praised and applauded.
I can't believe that is what the reviewer took away from DtRT. Nuance and history doesn't seem to be their thing.

bottled spider

#3916 Post by bottled spider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Minkin wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am
But if anyone wants anymore warnings about WICA CATHOLIC INTEGRATING MAMON*, here you go.
There's a wealth of practical information on that blogspot, e.g. Best Way to Burn A Catholic Bible

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3917 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm

You really have to question whether filming that video during the Grand Prix was the best choice

Big Ben

#3918 Post by Big Ben » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:29 pm

The poster appears to believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon mentioned in the Book of Revelations and it's somehow connected to...everything. This "review" of Buffy the Vampire Slayer sure is something.

movielocke

#3919 Post by movielocke » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm

this review popped up on my letterboxd feed this morning, and now I actually WANT to listen to the commentary.
I’m a sucker for audio commentaries but, surprisingly, this one was kind of meh. Honestly, the whole INFINITY WAR Blu-Ray’s special features is pretty meh. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but only watch the commentary if you’re a die hard fan. They don’t reveal many interesting nuggets of behind-the-scenes info, just talk a lot about how they dealt with character motivations when making the movie.
What a downside bummer, talking about characters!

And actually, the bluray has a director's roundtable of various marvel directors that is actually pretty decent, the other extras are typical studio gee whiz stuff, but that one is quite interesting and fun as they talk about their respective involvements as the series evolves.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3920 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 pm

To be fair though, most of the MCU extras features are fluff pieces that don't explain much and/or are very short. In this regard, I regret the Phase One movies, that were regularly coming with half hour bonus about the technical stuff. And we're very far from the 85 minutes making of Iron Man 2.
movielocke wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm
And actually, the bluray has a director's roundtable of various marvel directors that is actually pretty decent, the other extras are typical studio gee whiz stuff, but that one is quite interesting and fun as they talk about their respective involvements as the series evolves.
Where is this one ? All I can see on blu-ray.com's details are multiple short featurettes, none of them ressembling what you describe.

movielocke

#3921 Post by movielocke » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:15 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 pm
To be fair though, most of the MCU extras features are fluff pieces that don't explain much and/or are very short. In this regard, I regret the Phase One movies, that were regularly coming with half hour bonus about the technical stuff. And we're very far from the 85 minutes making of Iron Man 2.
movielocke wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm
Where is this one ? All I can see on blu-ray.com's details are multiple short featurettes, none of them ressembling what you describe.
I actually watched* the extras on Movies Anywhere (it's so much easier and faster than wading through all the damn menus and adverts!), rather than my bluray, and I just logged in to check and it's highlighted as the "featured Extra" after the commentary. and is called "The Directors' Roundtable"

*most all english language extras I watch these days are done while doing the dishes or cleaning up the kitchen with bluetooth headphones on, so "watched" is one way of putting it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3922 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Most succinct review possible for Mill Creek's 80s Overdrive 6 Film Collection
3 nude 3 normal.

Gregory

#3923 Post by Gregory » Thu May 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Well, this review of The Reckless Moment really sucks.
They have a black servant, extensive gardens and boathouses projecting an upper middle class opulence, meaning these characters are insulated and oblivious. Post war undertones and era specific gender dynamics obviously go some way to dating this film immensely. Women were homemakers, men worked on motor cars, while girls remained porcelain like and engaged in more feminine activities.
Yeah, why didn't a film from seventy years ago focus on women working on "motor cars" even though the story has nothing to do with that? :roll: What about all the agency that Joan Bennett's character does possess throughout?
And "they have a black servant"—he refers to her as no more than one of the family's possessions and status markers. She does has a name, Sybil, and far from being just "a black servant," the film allows her to become one of the crucial characters of the film—intelligent and fully human, not Mammy stereotyped, and one of the most crucial to the film's thematic developments than any comparable servant portrayal of any other Hollywood films of the era.

The arrogant and dismissive stance toward the film for its crime of being from the 1940s—back projection and the Hays Code, oh the horror!—betrays a laziness and lack of interest with respect to what makes the film so rich and what it does offer within the necessary constraints of its era, not to mention how the film implicitly investigates and critiques the postwar American family-home ideal.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#3924 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu May 02, 2019 7:02 pm

This sentence also doesn't make sense:
Good production, a smattering of location work and standard back projection means this film never quite gets off the ground
How would "good production" (or a "smattering of location work" for that matter) imply ineffectiveness?

Gregory

#3925 Post by Gregory » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 am

Yes, and then right after that one, the reviewer's parting shot repeats his point that
Having source material taken from a magazine short story probably did it no favours either.
He has a "sense" that this nonexistent short story was one of the main causes of the film's purported low quality, even though he hasn't read it and doesn't know anything about it.
The source was a novel, of course—The Blank Wall, by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding, whose works are still read today, long after her death, and The Blank Wall in particular has been included in the prestigious Library of America series, sharing a volume with the likes of In a Lonely Place and Laura.